Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Charlies drum set up...?
Posted by: chrismusic ()
Date: May 4, 2010 17:24

Just bought a new beginer drum kit last night ..did not even know how to set it up.

Just want to have it around so others can play ..while I play guitar. I also want to to learn to play as them as well.

I was looking at pictures of how Charlie (obviously one of my favorite drummers) & I notice that uses only one Tom ...??

Any advice for a total novice?

Thanks...

Re: Charlies drum set up...?
Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: May 4, 2010 17:29

Charlie uses a snare stand to mount the tom on, if thats any help. Instead of using the mount on the bass drum for the tom. If you are playing rock and your drummer hits pretty hard, clear plastic heads with the black dot sound good for that.

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: May 4, 2010 18:44

I agree with Duke on the black dot heads. I've always preferred the single-tom simple set-up. I only use a hi-hat, one ride cymbal and one crash (I include a cowbell, but I use it sparsely... contrary to Christopher Walken's famous advice). I think simple is best, especially for house kit that others will play. Good luck and have fun rockin'!!

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: May 4, 2010 18:44

Date: May 4, 2010 18:55

also...Have a drum key or 2 or 3 of them handy..tuning drums is subjective but important. the drummer who plays them may not bring his own. Drummers ...forget sometimes to bring stuff... !! have sticks and plastic brushes (or wire brushes) on hand too in case that happens!

Posted by: marvpeck ()
Date: May 4, 2010 19:18

Did you get it set up?

You should be able to sit straight and have the snare sort of in your lap
with your arms bent at 90 degree angle.

Push stuff arond so you reach it without straining.

Get a drum dial to help you tune.

Have fun !!

Marv Peck

Y'all remember that rubber legged boy

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: May 4, 2010 22:20

OK, here we go-

Round badge Gretsch from about 1960 or so. Charlie or news releases will sometimes state earlier, but the hardware on the kit belie that. Sizes are 8x12, 16 floor tom, 22 bass. Standard size for a kit is 13 16 22. So there sometimes can be a challenge to get the 12. Heads are black dot on white Control Sound, top and bottom on toms. Charlie has changed bass drum heads over the years, but for awhile had Evans on the batter side. Charlie uses a Ludwig Speed King bass drum pedal. The drum seat is a vintage Atlas Ludwig. Snare stand is an old Atlas snare stand. Cymbal stands are 1980's Gretsch. Cymbals are old Zild hi hats, 18 China Ufip, an old Ufip 18 flat top ride, and a vintage 17 crash zild. He uses the old Rogers "Buck Rogers" hi hat stand. Drumsticks for years were Ludwig hickory 11A. He now uses the Vic Firth Charlie Watts sig sticks. Snare is now a DW 5x14 wood. The Classic albums were with a metal 400 Ludwig 5x14. In the 80's Charlie played a Ludwig 6x14 Super Sensitive. Voodoo Lounge period was a Pearl wood 8x14. Then came the Arnie Lang 4x14 wood. Richard King in Annapolis is an excellent source for putting together vintage drums, and at reasonable prices; he's a fan.

Date: May 4, 2010 22:43

[www.kingsmusicusa.com]

glad to know about the Richard King place. Thanks, Carnaby!

Date: May 5, 2010 07:39

duke richardson
[www.kingsmusicusa.com]

glad to know about the Richard King place. Thanks, Carnaby!

No prob. Keep it going, kiddo. Don't just learn from the Stones; listen to what they listened to. Bob Marley said white people play the leaves, not the roots. Don't be like that.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: May 5, 2010 12:12

Carnaby
OK, here we go-

Round badge Gretsch from about 1960 or so. Charlie or news releases will sometimes state earlier, but the hardware on the kit belie that. Sizes are 8x12, 16 floor tom, 22 bass. Standard size for a kit is 13 16 22. So there sometimes can be a challenge to get the 12. Heads are black dot on white Control Sound, top and bottom on toms. Charlie has changed bass drum heads over the years, but for awhile had Evans on the batter side. Charlie uses a Ludwig Speed King bass drum pedal. The drum seat is a vintage Atlas Ludwig. Snare stand is an old Atlas snare stand. Cymbal stands are 1980's Gretsch. Cymbals are old Zild hi hats, 18 China Ufip, an old Ufip 18 flat top ride, and a vintage 17 crash zild. He uses the old Rogers "Buck Rogers" hi hat stand. Drumsticks for years were Ludwig hickory 11A. He now uses the Vic Firth Charlie Watts sig sticks. Snare is now a DW 5x14 wood. The Classic albums were with a metal 400 Ludwig 5x14. In the 80's Charlie played a Ludwig 6x14 Super Sensitive. Voodoo Lounge period was a Pearl wood 8x14. Then came the Arnie Lang 4x14 wood. Richard King in Annapolis is an excellent source for putting together vintage drums, and at reasonable prices; he's a fan.

Just for my own understanding -what is the difference in snare of the black nitro kit and the maple kit? Further to this, there seems to be something awry with the dates. On the Kings Music site it is stated that Charlie got his maple kit from SIR during tour rehearsals in '78 (that then would be late May, early June 1978). But he already had that set during part of the Pathe Marconi sessions, late '77 and/or early 78, and can be heard on much of Some Girls.

Or can only be the snare heard on Some Girls, and did he use the snare from the black nitro kit with the maple kit as well? Any idea when he started using the China UFIP for the first time? It is on 2 or 3 tracks from Some Girls, so he must have gotten it before the '78 tour rehearsals.

Mathijs

Date: May 5, 2010 16:54

Mathijs
Carnaby

Just for my own understanding -what is the difference in snare of the black nitro kit and the maple kit? Further to this, there seems to be something awry with the dates. On the Kings Music site it is stated that Charlie got his maple kit from SIR during tour rehearsals in '78 (that then would be late May, early June 1978). But he already had that set during part of the Pathe Marconi sessions, late '77 and/or early 78, and can be heard on much of Some Girls.

Or can only be the snare heard on Some Girls, and did he use the snare from the black nitro kit with the maple kit as well? Any idea when he started using the China UFIP for the first time? It is on 2 or 3 tracks from Some Girls, so he must have gotten it before the '78 tour rehearsals.

Mathijs

Hi. Yes, I know, the dates are awry, but coming from Rich, the story is true even if the dates are off. Rich got his info from Chuch. I had first heard that Charlie got the maple kit from a kid out on Long Island, a story which I now no longer have credence in. The black kit had a matching black wood snare 5x14, but it was rarely seen. Almost exclusively, Charlie used the mainstay 5x14 Ludwig. However, that said, on the 73 European tour, he used a 5x14 Gretsch chrome over brass with die cast hoops; that snare may have resurfaced for a bit on the 75 tour. Interestingly, that Gretsch snare Charlie has been using with his old Slingerland set with the ABC&D Boogie band. When he first recently started using the Slingy kit, he used the Radio King matching snare. The natural maple kit has no matching snare, just the two toms and bass drum. Charlie has used a 5x14, a 6.5x14 Ludwig snare with the maple kit, then the 6.5x14 SuperSensitive. After that, the others mentioned. Some Girls sessions is indeed the Ludwig 400 5x14, as are all the Classic albums. After Emotional Rescue, we get into the deeper snare drums; BTB is the 4x14. The China UFIP was first a 20" (seen in the LSTNT movie) then the 18" Classic Series by UFIP, but that cymbal cracked and was replaced by other 18" UFIP Chinas. It is my understanding the big ol' China with rivets used on the B stage kit (that kit put together by Rich and refinished by the Kansas City Drum shop) is a Zild. Call Rich, he'll tell you all about it. Rich is cool as a moose.

Date: May 5, 2010 18:50

this is great info, thanks. I thought Charlie mentioned playing Ludwig Supraphonic snare drums, is that right? I thought he used them in the late sixties?

Date: May 5, 2010 22:16

duke richardson
this is great info, thanks. I thought Charlie mentioned playing Ludwig Supraphonic snare drums, is that right? I thought he used them in the late sixties?

Yes, that is the 400.

400 Series Supra-Phonic Snare Drums

Charlie has used all three.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: May 9, 2010 01:19

Carnaby
Mathijs
Carnaby

Mathijs

Hi. Yes, I know, the dates are awry, but coming from Rich, the story is true even if the dates are off. Rich got his info from Chuch. I had first heard that Charlie got the maple kit from a kid out on Long Island, a story which I now no longer have credence in. The black kit had a matching black wood snare 5x14, but it was rarely seen. Almost exclusively, Charlie used the mainstay 5x14 Ludwig. However, that said, on the 73 European tour, he used a 5x14 Gretsch chrome over brass with die cast hoops; that snare may have resurfaced for a bit on the 75 tour. Interestingly, that Gretsch snare Charlie has been using with his old Slingerland set with the ABC&D Boogie band. When he first recently started using the Slingy kit, he used the Radio King matching snare. The natural maple kit has no matching snare, just the two toms and bass drum. Charlie has used a 5x14, a 6.5x14 Ludwig snare with the maple kit, then the 6.5x14 SuperSensitive. After that, the others mentioned. Some Girls sessions is indeed the Ludwig 400 5x14, as are all the Classic albums. After Emotional Rescue, we get into the deeper snare drums; BTB is the 4x14. The China UFIP was first a 20" (seen in the LSTNT movie) then the 18" Classic Series by UFIP, but that cymbal cracked and was replaced by other 18" UFIP Chinas. It is my understanding the big ol' China with rivets used on the B stage kit (that kit put together by Rich and refinished by the Kansas City Drum shop) is a Zild. Call Rich, he'll tell you all about it. Rich is cool as a moose.

Wow, very detailed information, thanks a lot!

Mathijs

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: May 9, 2010 03:08

"I've always seen myself as a member of a band."

"it's a cross between being an athlete and a total nervous wreck actually."

"Keith Richards taught me rock and roll"

"we'd have nothing to do and we just played these records over and over again"

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-09 03:16 by Beelyboy.

Posted by: jamsop ()
Date: November 28, 2015 09:23

Hi any idea which DW 5x14 wood it is thanks, is he still using it to this day? thanks

Posted by: TheBadRabbit ()
Date: November 30, 2015 17:03

chrismusic
I was looking at pictures of how Charlie (obviously one of my favorite drummers) & I notice that uses only one Tom ...??

Thanks...

I know what you mean here but, just for clarity, Charlie uses 2 toms: a rack tom that he mounts on a snare stand, and a floor tom. Check out the studio Brown Sugar: that's the floor tom during the verse. No hi-hat--just snare, tom and kick for maximum whooomp!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1636
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home