Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Unreleased/Promised Books That Need To Be Released
Posted by: Toxic34 ()
Date: October 20, 2015 00:44

-Guns N' Roses biography Shattered Illusion by Del James (Axl made a deal for this book during the Use Your Illusion tour, and then cancelled)

-Robby Krieger's autobiography (Deal made in 2010, last talked about in 2012 (prior to Ray Manzarek's death, no news since then)

-Authorized biography of Marilyn Manson by Erin Broadley (Deal talked about in 2011, literally no news since)

-Courtney Love's autobiography Girl With The Most Cake (Deal signed in 2010 and promised for 2012, then 2013, then early 2014. Courtney rejected manuscript by co-author Anthony Bozza saying "it's like me jacked on sugar and coffee", and has been trying to rewrite it since. Bozza has sued for money due him. If I were Courtney, I'd just release the Bozza version and let it out, and not deal with it anymore)

-English translation of Hanoi Rocks group autobiography All Those Wasted Years

-English translation of authorized biography of Hanoi Rocks frontman Michael Monroe

-Vol.2 and 3 of Bob Dylan's Chronicles

-Ronnie James Dio's autobiography Rainbow In The Dark (3/4 finished at his death. Wendy Dio announced plans to finish it off for 2012 and then 2013. Lately admitted she hasn't actually sat down with the manuscript yet)

-Robbie Robertson's autobiography (deal made in 2011 near release of last solo album, has teased it several times since, but no real news)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-20 00:47 by Toxic34.

Re: OT: Unreleased/Promised Books That Need To Be Released
Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: October 20, 2015 00:57

Robbie's book is due Spring 2016.

Re Dylan's volumes 2 and 3: I do wonder if His Bobness ever had any intention of following up the excellent Volume One. Strange man.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: October 20, 2015 00:58

Let me add :

Bill Wyman's "Memoirs Of A Modern-day Casanova". Rumoured to cover the 1960's only and to be 3500 pages-long.

Vince Neil's "My Philosophy of Life". Rumoured to be twelve pages long.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: October 20, 2015 01:09

How soon will these books, except for maybe Dylan, be on the remainders table at the local bookstore (if one still exists in your locale)? Keith's book and Neil Young's first are the only music star books I remember that lingered on the best seller list. Others disappeared quickly.

Myself, I want to know when the next volume of The Beatles story by Mark Lewisohn is going to appear. The first volume was totally fascinating in its history of England after WW2 and the emergence of the English teen tribal cultures of the 1950s, early 1960s, not to mention the music industry and those lads from Liverpool and similar bands. The Stones should have a biographer to do such a turn for them. Sorry to say, Keith's book, though great re him and the Stones, IMHO, doesn't quite tell the Stones story like Lewisohn's tells the Beatles'.

Posted by: jaggerman ()
Date: October 20, 2015 01:34

Almost picked up Lewisohn's book on the Beatles but i've read countless
books about them plus there own anthology book and Dvd series.Does this book
have anything new to add ??

Date: October 20, 2015 01:36

dmay
How soon will these books, except for maybe Dylan, be on the remainders table at the local bookstore (if one still exists in your locale)? Keith's book and Neil Young's first are the only music star books I remember that lingered on the best seller list. Others disappeared quickly.

Myself, I want to know when the next volume of The Beatles story by Mark Lewisohn is going to appear. The first volume was totally fascinating in its history of England after WW2 and the emergence of the English teen tribal cultures of the 1950s, early 1960s, not to mention the music industry and those lads from Liverpool and similar bands. The Stones should have a biographer to do such a turn for them. Sorry to say, Keith's book, though great re him and the Stones, IMHO, doesn't quite tell the Stones story like Lewisohn's tells the Beatles'.

Lewisohn first announced his Beatles series in 2005. Tune in took 7 1/2 years to write. Thus, Lewisohn stated his second book would likely arrive in 2020, and his third in 2028, the year he turns 70.

Posted by: DrPete ()
Date: October 20, 2015 02:02

Wasn't there a Mick Jagger autobiography but Mick cancelled because he excluded all the juicy stuff?

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: October 20, 2015 02:18

Hey, jaggerman: Check out Lewisohn's book. As noted, it's not just a history of the band but the world they grew up in and how it helped shape them. Lots of insights from folks who knew them back then, lots of info on the Hamburg years, a look at how they were something different for the British music scene, a look at Brian Epstein and how he found himself through the Beatles, how they helped George Martin start to find himself as a music producer as much as he helped them find themselves as a band. It's a bit more than just the story of The Beatles. It's why I look forward to volume 2 to see how Beatlemania and all that came about. I would love a similar book about the London music scene of the same time, how it led to the formation of the Stones and the other bands coming together in London at that time. Jeez, I just realized, there's a whole other book to be written on how American blues and r&b charged up bands across England. Think of the original Animals. They were, at that time, musically a much better blues/r&b band than the Stones.

Posted by: 72stones ()
Date: October 20, 2015 07:39

Since this is a Rolling Stones forum, let's not forget that Mick Taylor had a book he was working on and then it never got released. I hope it will come out eventually.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: October 20, 2015 08:15

dmay
Hey, jaggerman: Check out Lewisohn's book. As noted, it's not just a history of the band but the world they grew up in and how it helped shape them. Lots of insights from folks who knew them back then, lots of info on the Hamburg years, a look at how they were something different for the British music scene, a look at Brian Epstein and how he found himself through the Beatles, how they helped George Martin start to find himself as a music producer as much as he helped them find themselves as a band. It's a bit more than just the story of The Beatles. It's why I look forward to volume 2 to see how Beatlemania and all that came about. I would love a similar book about the London music scene of the same time, how it led to the formation of the Stones and the other bands coming together in London at that time. Jeez, I just realized, there's a whole other book to be written on how American blues and r&b charged up bands across England. Think of the original Animals. They were, at that time, musically a much better blues/r&b band than the Stones.

I've been reading a second-hand copy of Shawn Levy's "Ready Steady, Go: Swinging London and the invention of cool" which is another good overview of the period: still available at Amazon

[www.amazon.co.uk]

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: October 20, 2015 08:35

Stanley Booth's biography of Gram Parsons.

Date: October 20, 2015 23:22

The Bill Wyman Diaries.
Bill's history of Gedding Hall.
Paul Simon autobiography
Yoko Ono autobiography

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: October 20, 2015 23:49

DrPete
Wasn't there a Mick Jagger autobiography but Mick cancelled because he excluded all the juicy stuff?

Yes I heard this as well. If my memory is correct this was in the mid 80's or
so.

Date: October 21, 2015 00:12

swimtothemoon
DrPete

Yes I heard this as well. If my memory is correct this was in the mid 80's or
so.

I think that applied to Jerry's aborted effort.
Mick blamed memory failiure but I don't think anyone believed him.

OT: Paul Brannigan's EVH Book Release Date?
Date: November 20, 2015 19:57

I've been looking forward to Paul Brannigan's latest book Eruption: The Eddie Van Halen Story ever since it was announced back in 2013. The planned October release date has come and gone, and of course it's not out.

I looked on Amazon, and the UK version states it'll come out in December. The US version says it won't come out until July 2017, while other sites (Barnes & Noble) say June 2016. What's going on?

Also, Brian Wilson's upcoming book I Am Brian Wilson seems to have no release date anymore. Why is that?

Does anyone know what's happening? Does anyone have any ins either with the author or publishing companies?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1636
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home