Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Happy b'day Neil Young
Posted by: dmay ()
Date: November 12, 2015 19:01

70 today and still doing it his way.

Re: OT: Happy b'day Neil Young
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 12, 2015 19:45

Happy Birthday Neil!!!

Just received notification my Neil Bluenote Cafe cd has been shipped.
Who else but Neil sends out gifts on their own birhtday!!!

Thanks Neil! smoking smiley

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: November 12, 2015 20:48

Long may he run!smoking smiley

Posted by: sundevil ()
Date: November 12, 2015 21:05

if the stones are gonna record a new album, i hope they follow neil's lead and head for the ditch.

Date: November 13, 2015 02:04

sundevil
if the stones are gonna record a new album, i hope they follow neil's lead and head for the ditch.

"Monsanto Years" really matured nicely live. Think it would be a different record if recorded today. Promise of the Real are a really great young band & the chemistry between them & Neil was awesome. Try & download some shows from the recent west coast tour. Think you will be pleasantly surprised. smoking smiley PS: I'm listening to a really great show from 1973 in Toronto right now with the Stray Gators. Outstanding!

Posted by: andrea66 ()
Date: November 13, 2015 08:47

One of the greatest. Happy birthday neil ! Psichedelic pills is one of the best album in the last 10 years . And Monsanto is not bad at all

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: November 13, 2015 18:07

Arriving late to join the party, but here's wishing all the best to one of the greatest singers/songwriters. smileys with beer

His new release (Live at Blue Note Café) can be streamed here: [neilyoungnews.thrasherswheat.org]

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: November 13, 2015 18:19

Keep on rocking in the free world

Posted by: Moonshine ()
Date: November 14, 2015 21:47

Tonight's the Night is the one

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: November 14, 2015 23:01

Nils Lofgren claims that Tonight's the Night was recorded with Neil and the band living on tequila and cheesburgers during the recording period and rarely leaving the studio. Tonight's the Night, IMHO, is a beautifully ragged album, imperfect in so many ways that make it perfect. On the Beach is another gem, along with Zuma and Sleeps With Angels.

Posted by: Moonshine ()
Date: November 15, 2015 02:43

dmay
Nils Lofgren claims that Tonight's the Night was recorded with Neil and the band living on tequila and cheesburgers during the recording period and rarely leaving the studio. Tonight's the Night, IMHO, is a beautifully ragged album, imperfect in so many ways that make it perfect. On the Beach is another gem, along with Zuma and Sleeps With Angels.

The album was affected in a lot of ways by the deaths of Danny Whitten and Bruce Berry plus Neil's desire to make a record that's totally stark naked. Tonight's the Night doesn't care and that makes you feel good about it. There's no pretence.

Date: November 15, 2015 03:07

dmay

Put at least part of "Time Fades Away" on this list & "Eldorado". The "Time" songs played for the first time in 40 years recently were awesome. "Tonight's the Night" (song) is awesome on the new cd. 20 minutes with horns!

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 15, 2015 07:14

From Rolling Stone magazine:

Hear Neil Young's Offbeat New Eighties Live Album
Latest Archive Series release features previously unreleased tracks, extended "Tonight's the Night"
By Andy Greene November 9, 2015

Bluenote Café

In the fall of 1987, Neil Young launched a California club tour with his new 11-piece blues band, the Bluenotes. But the fans who flocked to intimate venues like Cocoanut Grove in Santa Cruz and the Omni in Oakland hoping to sing along to old favorites were stunned to discover that Young wasn't going to play a single note of music from his 1970s commercial heyday. Instead, he previewed tracks from his in-progress LP This Note's for You along with Eighties obscurities like "Don't Take Your Love Away From Me" and "Soul of a Woman."

"We'd been on the road for two years," Young told Rolling Stone at the time. "And I decided that was it. I wasn't going to play my hits; I didn't want to play any more coliseums. So we got together the Bluenotes — six horns and Crazy Horse — and we just played these cabarets and clubs."

The tour resumed the following April, just as This Note's for You was hitting shelves. The album's title track was a blistering attack on artists like Michael Jackson and Genesis that had put their music into commercials for beer and soft drinks. "Ain't singin' for Pepsi," he sang. "Ain't singin' for Coke/I don't sing for nobody/Makes me look like a joke."

The video was a hysterical spoof of commercials at the time, complete with a vicious Spuds MacKenzie and a Michael Jackson impersonator bursting into flames. Citing trademark infringement and fear of lawsuits, MTV refused to air the video. "We're sending it to the networks and talking with the David Letterman show," Young said. "But MTV makes the difference; they're still more rock & roll than General Hospital. They're supposed to be rebellious, but haven't got enough guts to show something that's not middle-of-the-road." MTV ultimately decided to air the video, and Young had the last laugh when it won Best Video of the Year at the Video Music Awards.

Meanwhile, Young was taking the Bluenotes shows all over America. The sets were still focused largely on the new material, but he was sprinkling in a handful of older songs like "After the Gold Rush," "On the Way Home" and "Tonight's the Night."

The wild tour is chronicled in Bluenote Café (in stores November 13th), the newest release in Young's ongoing Archive Series. The set blends songs from 11 shows on the 1987–88 tour, and includes seven unreleased tunes — such as "Doghouse," "Bad News Comes to Town" and "Fool for Your Love" — along with a 19-minute rendition of "Tonight's the Night" taped at the Pier in New York City. You can preorder it now, and listen to an exclusive stream of the album right here.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1493
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home