Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

The 50/70 year rule (copyrights)
Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: November 3, 2015 18:20

Forgive me if this has been covered elsewhere.
As I understand it, changes to copyright periods legislation means that previously released recorded material does not enter the public domain until it has reached 70 years from the original release date.
This is for recorded and not composers/publishing copyrights by the way.
HOWEVER,unreleased material can be released without the artists (or record companies) consent.
We have seen The Beatles and Dylan attempt to deal with this by trawling their archives and putting out studio outakes etc, albeit for a limited period.
I am not aware of any such move by ABKCO or from the Stones camp...or anyone else for that matter.
Any reasons? There must be some material out there.

Re: The 50/70 year rule (copyrights)
Posted by: alimente ()
Date: November 3, 2015 20:22

Well, some stuff was released recently - Camden Theatre 1964, IBC Demos, Live In England 1965, but I know what you mean. My conclusion is that ABKCO and/or the band are either not interested in further activities or that the valuable material (in case it still exists) is behind "safe doors", not leaked yet and therefore no threat in the form of unauthorized, but legal in copyright terms exploitation by third parties is feared by them -unlike Dylan and the Beatles, where loads of material was available on the black market in excellent quality since decades.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-03 20:23 by alimente.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 4, 2015 01:29

alimente
Well, some stuff was released recently - Camden Theatre 1964, IBC Demos, Live In England 1965, but I know what you mean. My conclusion is that ABKCO and/or the band are either not interested in further activities or that the valuable material (in case it still exists) is behind "safe doors", not leaked yet and therefore no threat in the form of unauthorized, but legal in copyright terms exploitation by third parties is feared by them -unlike Dylan and the Beatles, where loads of material was available on the black market in excellent quality since decades.

Beyond the Beatles I wonder if there are really any of the old acts, stones included, that could sell enough of the already 'leaked' vault material that would make it of any financial interest.

Sure you might sell a few copies, but is it worth the effort when you're still making money off the catalogue of hits and the countless repackages they go through?

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: November 4, 2015 02:33

is it not better to sell it as an official release and make some money rather than wait till the bootlegs get released officially in the public domain.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: November 4, 2015 13:34

Well, lets see if CS Blues gets a release as a single in 2020. There must be good copies around. Maybe we will see a DVD release of the film then, also.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: November 4, 2015 15:03

The 50/70 rule only applies to EU countries under EU Directive 2011/77/EU.
Other regions will have their own rules.
[www.gov.uk]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 5, 2015 02:09

buttons67
is it not better to sell it as an official release and make some money rather than wait till the bootlegs get released officially in the public domain.

I'd say it depends on what the breakeven point is and I haven't a clue what that might be.

Maybe if they offered them as downloads just to keep the cost down, and if they sold they could look at physical releases as well (sort of what they did do with the 'From The Vault' series?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1462
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home