Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Tour Book --Tattoo You or Steel Wheels--The Enemy by Lee Child
Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: August 26, 2015 10:28

I'm a keen reader of thriller writer Lee Child, especially Jack Reacher series.

A hard cover tour book of the rolling stones plays a critical role in his book "The Enemy."
Tour book describing in The Enemy is Tattoo You or Steel Wheels or other one?
I don't know if there is such tour book, because he sometimes writes while high on cannabis.smiling smiley
What do you guess?

Re: Tour Book --Tattoo You or Steel Wheels--The Enemy by Lee Child
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: August 26, 2015 11:01

Do you mean a tour souvenir that you buy at the shows? I think Bigger Bang had a hardcover version of that.
Or maybe s/he means A Life on the Road, a big photo book that came out around the time of Bridges?
Or The Rolling Stones on Tour, with Leibowitz & Sykes photos of the 1975 tour?

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: August 26, 2015 11:49

I don't know Lee Child's book, but I stumbled upon a pdf-download.
The text in the book says:
"The lone hardcover was a souvenir publication from a Rolling Stones concert tour. Judging by the style of the print on the spine it was about ten years old."

Apparently the story is taking place in 1990.

So that narrows it down to 1978 or 1981, I guess.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Date: August 26, 2015 13:37

Thanks with sssoul and marcovandereijk.

Sorry for my insufficient recap.
Yes, the story was set in 1990 after the fall of the Berlin Wall.
Then, 1978 book "The Rolling Stones On Tour" by Annie Leibovitz and Christopher Sykes may close to the answer.

Posted by: haimbarr ()
Date: August 26, 2015 17:59

Well this is a thread I can contribute to...
First - Lee Child is a friend of mine (sorta). His wife's family and my family were really close growing up and I always loved it when he was around because he was this older english guy who knew all about the 60's bands because he worked in production. He would tell about the really early shows and how he saw the stones loosen up and develop until the 80's when he kind of lost interest. Led Zep '69 was the show that he most remembered being a tranformative experience. As you might know he started the Jack Reacher thing after his TV production job ended, and i remember when he sent us the fisrt copy of killing floor, and reading the small references to RnR and deep blues I felt like we were sharing this inside joke or tale that only a small number of his readers would get, but I knew exactly where it cam from. He is a great great guy and I have some more stories if you want to hear..

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 26, 2015 18:45

The 1975-76 tour book THE ROLLING STONES ON TOUR came out in 1978 and there was one from the TATTOO YOU tour called THE LAST TOUR that's hilarious. Those are the only two it could be because there isn't one from the SOME GIRLS tour as far as I'm aware.

Posted by: Ricky ()
Date: August 27, 2015 01:45

haimbarr
Well this is a thread I can contribute to...
First - Lee Child is a friend of mine (sorta). His wife's family and my family were really close growing up and I always loved it when he was around because he was this older english guy who knew all about the 60's bands because he worked in production. He would tell about the really early shows and how he saw the stones loosen up and develop until the 80's when he kind of lost interest. Led Zep '69 was the show that he most remembered being a tranformative experience. As you might know he started the Jack Reacher thing after his TV production job ended, and i remember when he sent us the fisrt copy of killing floor, and reading the small references to RnR and deep blues I felt like we were sharing this inside joke or tale that only a small number of his readers would get, but I knew exactly where it cam from. He is a great great guy and I have some more stories if you want to hear..

I love his Jack Reacher series. Yes, I want to read more about him.

Date: August 27, 2015 03:01

Thanks all for your input!

haimbarr,
Thank you very much for sharing interesting story.
I can't explain it, but Lee Child reminds me vaguely of Hal Ashby. I feel they have a certain thing in common.
Both are great story tellers.

Posted by: haimbarr ()
Date: August 28, 2015 08:37

OK - so my family moved to Israel about 35 years ago. I did my military service in mid 80s as a paratrooper. During my tour, LC and family came to visit - I believe this was before he started writing. My military profession was as a marksman/sniper and although I don't remember much from their visit, he clearly did as a central character in "One Shot" is a military sniper with my family name. Maybe coincidence.. maybe not. My brother asked him to help out with a fund-raising thing a while back and Lee offered to donate a character in his next book to be named after the highest bidder so maybe James Barr really is a shout out to me.

Last story - my eldest son was NOT a reader. While he was doing his tour of duty, also in the infantry, he was in an outpost in palestinian territory with NO CABLE. He called me and said maybe I could bring him one of those cool Reacher books I am always reading. I jumped to the bookstore and found "The Enemy" in hebrew and promptly drove it right to him. He liked it of course, and i emailed with LC about it. "Jack Reacher Teaches Israeli soldier To Read."

There are lots of entertainng youtube vids of LC when he is promoting his yearly book and they are all just like I rememeber him before he got famous. Great guy.

Date: August 28, 2015 13:01

Thanks for sharing great experience again. I really like this post.

Sniper's(Barr's) sister in "One Shot" was a devoted woman and very charming to me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-28 13:41 by Toru A.

Posted by: Ricky ()
Date: August 29, 2015 00:27

Thank you James: your post make me want to read again One Shot.
Lee Child make a brieft cameo in the film about Jack Reacher...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1275
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home