Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Keith's Weston,CT basement.
Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: August 26, 2015 17:16

We all know about Villefranche-sur-mer's basement at Nellcote but it seems that we know less about Weston's. What did Keith set up in his house's basement in CT; a recording studio or just a place to play music with his friends? I remember reading that after Patty got sick Keith lost interest in the place and he or she took the musical equipment out. What was recorded there and who came to that place and played with Keith?
Definitely Weston didn't leave an impact like Nellcote did.
Rock and roll,
Mops

Re: Keith's Weston,CT basement.
Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: August 26, 2015 17:20

He said in Life it had an 8 track tape machine.

Date: August 26, 2015 17:26

His Majesty
He said in Life it had an 8 track tape machine.

Thank you Majesty. That is good because some of what he played must have been recorded then.
Rock and roll,
Mops

Date: August 26, 2015 17:29

Like the recordings done at Redlands in 60's, we'll never get to hear them.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: August 26, 2015 17:33

The rendition of You Win Again that he contributed to the Hank Williams tribute disc Timeless was recorded there.
So was his sister-in-law's CD My Soul Is a Witness, which Keith plays on.
Apparently it's called Studio L.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-26 17:38 by with sssoul.

Date: August 26, 2015 17:36

Ah, ok, other than that one... grinning smiley

Date: August 26, 2015 17:56

Did the 3 other stones ever came to Weston at the same time and played there?
Rock and roll,
Mops

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: August 26, 2015 23:32

rollmops
Rock and roll,
Mops

Good question...in fact I wonder if individually Mick and Charlie have ever visited Weston?

Posted by: thomashanck ()
Date: August 26, 2015 23:45

hi,

take a look at this ...

[www.iorr.org]

Posted by: BILLPERKS ()
Date: August 27, 2015 00:14

jlowe
rollmops
Rock and roll,
Mops

Good question...in fact I wonder if individually Mick and Charlie have ever visited Weston?

I highly doubt Mick has ever been to KR Weston home.

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: August 27, 2015 00:41

with sssoul
The rendition of You Win Again that he contributed to the Hank Williams tribute disc Timeless was recorded there.
So was his sister-in-law's CD My Soul Is a Witness, which Keith plays on.
Apparently it's called Studio L.

"You Win Again" sung by Keith on the Hank Williams tribute album "Timeless" is a great recording! Thanks for bringing it up. Got the CD playing now on my stereo. smileys with beer
Can't believe my eyes... it's from 2001...
Blondie Chaplin has been at Keef's house according the liner notes...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-27 00:43 by RipThisBone.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 27, 2015 00:45

At one point during the tour we turn a corner and arrive at a closed door. Hansen, hand on the knob, pauses and gives me a you-are-not-going-to-believe-this stare. “It’s not like Keith goes down here anymore,” she says, rolling her eyes as only a woman who has been married to a man for 27 years could. We head down into the basement, the stairway walls lined with gold and platinum records, and emerge into what must be every aging Rolling Stones fan’s secret fantasy: a virtual barroom filled with rock paraphernalia and table games of every sort. Keith used to record down here, but no more: Patti moved most of the amps and mixing boards out (though there are guitars and saxophones and keyboards all over the house). On one wall, there is a giant framed bus-shelter poster of Hansen’s totally hot Gap ad from 1999. On another, every single Rolling Stones Rolling Stone cover—except of course for the one that is on the newsstand as we speak (the reissue of Exile on Main St. topped the charts all over the world). “I will have to find a spot for it,” she says sweetly.

Patti Hansen interview VOGUE 2010

ROCKMAN

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: August 27, 2015 01:13

Didn't he say in Life that this is where they hammered out "Thief in the Night" at the 11th hour after Mick failed to nail the vocals?

Also if I remember well Keith said the studio had been pulled apart after he found out Patti was ill, not that I ever really understood why he would have to do that, unless he had the studio staffed and they just wanted to retreat at these difficult times?

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: August 27, 2015 01:17

Rockman
At one point during the tour we turn a corner and arrive at a closed door. Hansen, hand on the knob, pauses and gives me a you-are-not-going-to-believe-this stare. “It’s not like Keith goes down here anymore,” she says, rolling her eyes as only a woman who has been married to a man for 27 years could. We head down into the basement, the stairway walls lined with gold and platinum records, and emerge into what must be every aging Rolling Stones fan’s secret fantasy: a virtual barroom filled with rock paraphernalia and table games of every sort. Keith used to record down here, but no more: Patti moved most of the amps and mixing boards out (though there are guitars and saxophones and keyboards all over the house). On one wall, there is a giant framed bus-shelter poster of Hansen’s totally hot Gap ad from 1999. On another, every single Rolling Stones Rolling Stone cover—except of course for the one that is on the newsstand as we speak (the reissue of Exile on Main St. topped the charts all over the world). “I will have to find a spot for it,” she says sweetly.
Thank you Rockman. That is probably the closest we will ever get to weston's "secret fantasy" basement.The description by Vogue is pretty cool; I sure wish i could have gone down there.Too late now.
Rock and roll,
Mops

Posted by: StonedAsia ()
Date: August 27, 2015 03:10

I seem to remember saying that on 9/11 he was recording with Ronnie Spector???

Posted by: everwest1 ()
Date: August 27, 2015 11:54

Rockman

thumbs up ya never fail us, great quote, great information

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: August 27, 2015 12:02

StonedAsia
I seem to remember saying that on 9/11 he was recording with Ronnie Spector???

Nzentgraf.de lists that as well.

Posted by: chatoyancy ()
Date: August 27, 2015 13:14

Mick has visited Keith at the Weston house at least once, when they were discussing an album, I forgot which one.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: August 27, 2015 13:33

thomashanck
hi,

take a look at this ...

[www.iorr.org]
great interview , "my job is to turm Mick on , if i can turn Mick on he can turn the world on " A fine example of why we love the Glimmer twins as much as we do .i really love the Stones and viewing this early in the morning put such a big smile on my face .

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: August 27, 2015 23:31

Interesting (given the stage of his career) that around 18 months ago Keith purchased a property in NYC, having sold his previous one many years ago.
It could be of course that he wanted to remain (physically) closer to his daughters who now seem to be based in the City.
So with studios closer to hand, the need to have one in Weston seems less of a requirement.
Which from a creative standpoint might be a good thing.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: August 27, 2015 23:36

jlowe
Interesting (given the stage of his career) that around 18 months ago Keith purchased a property in NYC, having sold his previous one many years ago.
It could be of course that he wanted to remain (physically) closer to his daughters who now seem to be based in the City.
So with studios closer to hand, the need to have one in Weston seems less of a requirement.
Which from a creative standpoint might be a good thing.

Perhaps it had something to do with needing an engineer on call to do the button pressing in his home studio and finding that keeping someone on hand in that part of the country, house guest or whatever, was more trouble that it was worth.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2570
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home