Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT - the controversy about 'Go Set A Watchman' by Harper Lee
Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: July 20, 2015 21:25

pure greed ...

Harper Lee, author of 'To Kill A Mockingbird', widely regarded as one of the greatest novels, wrote a first draft of that book, and now that she is incapable of understanding whats going on, the person acting as her lawyer and spokesperson, has gotten that first draft published..

'New Novel by Harper Lee!' was basically guaranteed to make a lot of money. The spokesperson/attorney waited until Harper Lee's real spokeswoman, and attorney, her sister Alice, died, before doing this.

its nothing but a shame and a calculated money grab on the part of the publishers, all involved, taking advantage of Harper Lee, who is in no position to make a clear-eyed judgment about this. she's 89, and in declining conditions of awareness, in a nursing home in Alabama.

sad, and all legal of course but that book should never have been published.

yes, very OT..

Re: OT - the controversy about 'Go Set A Watchman' by Harper Lee
Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: July 20, 2015 21:46

You may be right but I'd have to read the book before making such judgements. Perhaps it has some literary value, I have heard some praise for it as well.

Date: July 20, 2015 21:54

the 'book' was never intended by its author to be published..

that alone should be the reddest of flags..

Harper Lee wanted Mockingbird to be her legacy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-20 21:55 by duke richardson.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: July 20, 2015 22:08

So true, duke. She wanted "Mockingbird" to be it. Kinda like the sad state of the Hendrix estate.

That said, I look forward to reading the book.

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: July 20, 2015 22:12

it's got 4 out of 5 stars from 848 fellow amazon readers

how bad could it be?

Date: July 20, 2015 22:14

Elmo Lewis
So true, duke. She wanted "Mockingbird" to be it. Kinda like the sad state of the Hendrix estate.

not sure if I will..

don't want to now, kinda feel like if I read it, it's participating in a sham..

Date: July 20, 2015 22:43

reg thorpe

how bad could it be?

Well, Dirty Work has 3.5 stars average...Just saying...

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: July 20, 2015 22:50

BeforeTheyMakeMeRun
reg thorpe

how bad could it be?

good pointthumbs up

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 20, 2015 22:50

BeforeTheyMakeMeRun
reg thorpe

how bad could it be?

Dirty Work has it's detractors, but I'd say it's 5th best studio album of the eighties by the band. For sure.

Date: July 20, 2015 23:21

duke richardson
Elmo Lewis

not sure if I will..

While I don't approve of all the money grabbing stuff Jaime Hendrix has done with the estate, I have thoroughly enjoyed some of the previously unheard tunes that have been released and am grateful someone did it, and I guess better her than Alan Douglas. I do wonder what will happen to the Stones stuff after they are gone, perhaps Mick will leave instructions to cremate the vaults to protect the legacy, which of course would be a tragic mistake imo.

As far as Harper Lee's new release, how anyone can be so upset about it without first reading it and discerning it's true value is beyond me. If she gave the OK to release it, 89 yrs old or 29 yrs old, I'm OK with it. I don't see how it can hurt her legacy really, it just draws attention to her and the original in the end. It's like Stones bootlegs, some of which are not their best performances, none authorized by the band but they don't generally detract from all the great stuff they have done and often add to it. The legacy is still mainly defined by an artists best work, imo. Whether the Stones or Harper Lee I think we have a natural ability to forgive their worst work in favor of their best when the best is so amazing.

Date: July 20, 2015 23:34

Naturalust
duke richardson
Elmo Lewis

not sure if I will..

While I don't approve of all the money grabbing stuff Jaime Hendrix has done with the estate, I have thoroughly enjoyed some of the previously unheard tunes that have been released and am grateful someone did it, and I guess better her than Alan Douglas. I do wonder what will happen to the Stones stuff after they are gone, perhaps Mick will leave instructions to cremate the vaults to protect the legacy, which of course would be a tragic mistake imo.

As far as Harper Lee's new release, how anyone can be so upset about it without first reading it and discerning it's true value is beyond me. If she gave the OK to release it, 89 yrs old or 29 yrs old, I'm OK with it. I don't see how it can hurt her legacy really, it just draws attention to her and the original in the end. It's like Stones bootlegs, some of which are not their best performances, none authorized by the band but they don't generally detract from all the great stuff they have done and often add to it. The legacy is still mainly defined by an artists best work, imo. Whether the Stones or Harper Lee I think we have a natural ability to forgive their worst work in favor of their best when the best is so amazing.

>>As far as Harper Lee's new release<<

its neither new nor is it her 'release'...its an old sketch that she locked away in a safe deposit box

no I haven't read it but am against it on principle.

its clearly being published to enrich others, who are taking advantage of Harper Lee.

everything I've heard and read, reviews, etc, all point to it being a sub par uneven sketch that obviously wasn't intended to be published.

unethical and sad, to me.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: July 20, 2015 23:42

Thats a fair point, and personally I agree with it. But to tell others how bad it is, just because its "your principle" doesn't mean its actually bad. Just like you I have no interest in reading it either, but the bottom line is it WAS released and if people want to read it they certainly have the right to. Nothing against you, but I could see the argument you're making makes you come off pompous and wrong just as much as those making money off Harper's new book are wrong. Its a matter of opinion, and as much as I agree with your principle, I wouldn't ever really argue that its right.

On principle, some people aren't seeing the Stones because they are performing Sticky Fingers without Mick Taylor. But that doesn't actually make them right.

Date: July 20, 2015 23:47

duke richardson

unethical and sad, to me.

I understand how you feel and perhaps you are right, no worries. If they are indeed trying to capitalize on something that wasn't the artists true intention I agree and taking such advantage of an 89 year old lady is pretty disgraceful.

Date: July 20, 2015 23:50

>>some people aren't seeing the Stones because they are performing Sticky Fingers <<

you mean because they are playing one or two songs from Sticky Fingers, without Taylor, like they've always done..

they only did the whole album once.. should have had Taylor though..grinning smiley

don't mean to be pompous at all. I understand a lot of people will want to read this book, because they love TKAM...

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: July 21, 2015 00:25

Harper Lee approved of the publication. She's made such comments through a spokesman. You can imagine it's a puppeteer pulling all the strings. But just maybe Harper Lee genuinely gave her thumbs up. I read the first chapter in the WSJ, that provided the free sample, and thought it first rate writing.

P.S. Mick Jagger dated Mary Badham who played Scout in the MOCKINGBIRD movie. Does that make it less OT...?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-21 00:30 by Title5Take1.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: July 21, 2015 00:36

Title5Take1
P.S. Mick Jagger dated Mary Badham who played Scout in the MOCKINGBIRD movie. Does that make it less OT...?

Ha! By that standard, and factoring Bill into the mix, there's very little that is OT! grinning smiley

Date: July 21, 2015 01:21

SomeTorontoGirl
Title5Take1

Ha! By that standard, and factoring Bill into the mix, there's very little that is OT! grinning smiley

Ha! Everybody is less degrees of separation from Bill than they think. All I can say is he must be a very nice chap, because none of these thousands of chicks has ever come out with a Bill Wyman story. Maybe because they went home and told their girlfriends they were actually with Mick. grinning smiley

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: July 21, 2015 01:35

duke richardson
the 'book' was never intended by its author to be published..

that alone should be the reddest of flags..

Harper Lee wanted Mockingbird to be her legacy.

you know, i agree with you, but... this happens to authors all the time, it's just usually it's after they die. hemingway had 2-3 novels published after his death that he didn't want to release to the public. and so on. it's just the price of being famous, no matter how unfair it is. the fact that they didn't wait until she was dead is sad, unless they needed money to pay for her to have high quality assisted living or something like that.

Date: July 21, 2015 02:22

treaclefingers
BeforeTheyMakeMeRun
reg thorpe

how bad could it be?

Dirty Work has it's detractors, but I'd say it's 5th best studio album of the eighties by the band. For sure.

First off, I slightly enjoy Dirty Work (my guilty pleasure of all the Stones albums), just playing Devil's advocate here... I feel like Harper Lee's book may very well be a nice piece of literature, now it's just a matter of reading it. tongue sticking out smiley

By the way, here's a list of all official Stones releases from 1980-1989, excluding the 2010s Archive releases, in chronological order, as per the always correct Wikipedia...

1980 - Emotional Rescue
1980 - Solid Rock
1981 - Slow Rollers
1981 - Sucking in the Seventies
1981 - Tattoo You
1982 - Still Life
1982 - Story of The Stones
1983 - Undercover
1984 - Rewind (1971-1984)
1986 - Dirty Work
1989 - Singles Collection: The London Years
1989 - Steel Wheels

If you were referring to Dirty Work being the fifth best of the studio albums, then I see your point. winking smiley

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: July 21, 2015 02:49

BeforeTheyMakeMeRun
treaclefingers
BeforeTheyMakeMeRun
reg thorpe

how bad could it be?

First off, I slightly enjoy Dirty Work (my guilty pleasure of all the Stones albums), just playing Devil's advocate here... I feel like Harper Lee's book may very well be a nice piece of literature, now it's just a matter of reading it. tongue sticking out smiley

By the way, here's a list of all official Stones releases from 1980-1989, excluding the 2010s Archive releases, in chronological order, as per the always correct Wikipedia...

1980 - Emotional Rescue
1980 - Solid Rock
1981 - Slow Rollers
1981 - Tattoo You
1982 - Still Life
1983 - Undercover
1986 - Dirty Work
1989 - Steel Wheels

If you were referring to Dirty Work being the fifth best of the studio albums, then I see your point. winking smiley

that is what he said. but still great to see the 80s discography. i continue to maintain they should release a greatest hits of the greatest hits albums.

Date: July 21, 2015 02:58

BeforeTheyMakeMeRun
treaclefingers
BeforeTheyMakeMeRun
reg thorpe

how bad could it be?

1980 - Emotional Rescue
1980 - Solid Rock
1981 - Slow Rollers
1981 - Tattoo You
1982 - Still Life
1983 - Undercover
1986 - Dirty Work
1989 - Steel Wheels

That might be why I said 'studio albums'...I'll have to double check...wait a minute...

...hang on...

...just a second...

...yes

Date: July 21, 2015 03:00

treaclefingers
BeforeTheyMakeMeRun
treaclefingers
BeforeTheyMakeMeRun
reg thorpe

how bad could it be?

1980 - Emotional Rescue
1980 - Solid Rock
1981 - Slow Rollers
1981 - Tattoo You
1982 - Still Life
1983 - Undercover
1986 - Dirty Work
1989 - Steel Wheels

That might be why I said 'studio albums'...I'll have to double check...wait a minute...

...hang on...

...just a second...

...yes

My mistake! Gotta stop speed-reading things on here!

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: July 21, 2015 03:10

Duke, I completely agree with you.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: July 21, 2015 10:30

It's hilarious following the train of thought in this thread, through Harper Lee to Dirty Work.

But anyway, this "new" book was actually written before Mockingbird, and incorporates a version of Atticus Finch which Lee later rethought, and revised into the unforgettable character who appears in Mockingbird. It's fascinating for literary scholars to see how the character was developed, but it's an early work (if not a dirty work) that she didn't intend to publish, and although as previously mentioned this sort of thing happens to all authors (eventually their juvenilia, notebooks, letters, emails, recipes, etc. find themselves being published), it does seem at least very unclear whether Lee wanted this novel published now.

(Literature prof speaking here, btw. I once spent a whole day studying--wearing the appropriate gloves--a laundry list and a few written drafts for telegrams written by Mark Twain. Thankfully he'd probably have just thought it was funny if he'd known this stuff was one day going to find its way into print. One of the telegrams was the one in which he said that rumors of his death were greatly exaggerated, however. grinning smiley )

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: July 21, 2015 20:07

Aquamarine
It's hilarious following the train of thought in this thread, through Harper Lee to Dirty Work.

But anyway, this "new" book was actually written before Mockingbird, and incorporates a version of Atticus Finch which Lee later rethought, and revised into the unforgettable character who appears in Mockingbird. It's fascinating for literary scholars to see how the character was developed, but it's an early work (if not a dirty work) that she didn't intend to publish, and although as previously mentioned this sort of thing happens to all authors (eventually their juvenilia, notebooks, letters, emails, recipes, etc. find themselves being published), it does seem at least very unclear whether Lee wanted this novel published now.

(Literature prof speaking here, btw. I once spent a whole day studying--wearing the appropriate gloves--a laundry list and a few written drafts for telegrams written by Mark Twain. Thankfully he'd probably have just thought it was funny if he'd known this stuff was one day going to find its way into print. One of the telegrams was the one in which he said that rumors of his death were greatly exaggerated, however. grinning smiley )

Interesting Aqua, thanks for that perspective. I know it's a big deal all over the internet right now. I've got plenty of other reading to do this summer, including TKAM, so I'm going to wait until later to tackle Watchman. But now I'm curious about Twain's laundry list. smiling smiley

Date: July 22, 2015 00:34

BeforeTheyMakeMeRun
treaclefingers
BeforeTheyMakeMeRun
treaclefingers
BeforeTheyMakeMeRun
reg thorpe

how bad could it be?

1980 - Emotional Rescue
1980 - Solid Rock
1981 - Slow Rollers
1981 - Tattoo You
1982 - Still Life
1983 - Undercover
1986 - Dirty Work
1989 - Steel Wheels

...hang on...

...just a second...

...yes

No worries man...I do it all the time as well unfortunately.

A lot of material to get through!

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: July 22, 2015 01:14

latebloomer
Aquamarine

Interesting Aqua, thanks for that perspective. I know it's a big deal all over the internet right now. I've got plenty of other reading to do this summer, including TKAM, so I'm going to wait until later to tackle Watchman. But now I'm curious about Twain's laundry list. smiling smiley

Shirts, lotsa shirts. Easy on the starch. grinning smiley

Date: July 22, 2015 02:13

treaclefingers
BeforeTheyMakeMeRun
treaclefingers
BeforeTheyMakeMeRun
treaclefingers
BeforeTheyMakeMeRun
reg thorpe

how bad could it be?

1980 - Emotional Rescue
1980 - Solid Rock
1981 - Slow Rollers
1981 - Tattoo You
1982 - Still Life
1983 - Undercover
1986 - Dirty Work
1989 - Steel Wheels

...hang on...

...just a second...

...yes

Haha, glad you understand! (Wonder how many people will quote the full message, you know, to fill up the page quicker? winking smiley )

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: July 22, 2015 02:35

BeforeTheyMakeMeRun
treaclefingers
BeforeTheyMakeMeRun
treaclefingers
BeforeTheyMakeMeRun
treaclefingers
BeforeTheyMakeMeRun
reg thorpe

how bad could it be?

1980 - Emotional Rescue
1980 - Solid Rock
1981 - Slow Rollers
1981 - Tattoo You
1982 - Still Life
1983 - Undercover
1986 - Dirty Work
1989 - Steel Wheels

...hang on...

...just a second...

...yes

Haha, glad you understand! (Wonder how many people will quote the full message, you know, to fill up the page quicker? winking smiley )

"Pyramid" building is a favorite activity on here. grinning smiley

Date: July 22, 2015 02:47

stonehearted
BeforeTheyMakeMeRun
treaclefingers
BeforeTheyMakeMeRun
treaclefingers
BeforeTheyMakeMeRun
treaclefingers
BeforeTheyMakeMeRun
reg thorpe

how bad could it be?

1980 - Emotional Rescue
1980 - Solid Rock
1981 - Slow Rollers
1981 - Tattoo You
1982 - Still Life
1983 - Undercover
1986 - Dirty Work
1989 - Steel Wheels

...hang on...

...just a second...

...yes

"Pyramid" building is a favorite activity on here. grinning smiley

Then you're in lucky! cool smiley

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1241
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home