Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Whiter Shade of Pale
Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: June 18, 2011 01:50

I didn't say it was the whole truth, but your link confirms what I said. grinning smiley

Stoneage
No HM, that is not the whole truth. Here is an excerpt from the Wikipedia article: "Authorship lawsuitIn 2005, former Procol Harum organist Matthew Fisher filed suit in the High Court against Gary Brooker and his publisher, claiming that he co-wrote the music for the song.[20]

Fisher won the case on 20 December 2006 but was awarded 40% of the composers' share of the music copyright, rather than the 50% he was seeking and was not granted royalties prior to 2005.[21]

Gary Brooker and publisher Onward Music were granted leave to appeal, and a hearing on the matter was held before a panel of three judges during the week of 1 October 2007. The decision, on 4 April 2008, by Lord Justice Mummery, in the Court of Appeal upheld Fisher's co-authorship[22] but ruled that he should receive no royalties as he had taken too long (38 years) to bring his claim to litigation. Full royalty rights were returned to Brooker.[23]

On 5 November 2008, Matthew Fisher was granted permission to appeal this decision to the House of Lords.[24] Lawyers say it is the first time the Law Lords have been asked to rule on a copyright dispute involving a song.[25] The appeal was heard in the House of Lords on 22–23 April 2009.[26]

On 30 July 2009 the Law Lords unanimously ruled in Fisher's favour. They noted that the delay in bringing the case had not caused any harm to the other party; on the contrary they had benefited financially from it. They also pointed out that there were no time limits to copyright claims under English law. The right to future royalties was therefore returned to Fisher.[27][28] The musicological basis of the judgment, and its effect on the rights of musicians who contribute composition to future works, have drawn some attention in the music world.[29]"

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: June 18, 2011 02:12

Sorry HM, you were right. I misinterpreted the text. So, obviously he couldn't claim royalty for 1967-2004. Imagine how much money he lost there... .

Posted by: mitchflorida ()
Date: June 18, 2011 02:46

For those who don't like classical music, here is the Acid Rock version.

This woman has a very strong voice. . never heard of her before.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2011-06-19 17:04 by mitchflorida.

Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: June 19, 2011 15:39

...Gary Brooker (with the Paramounts) played often with the Stones in 1963 and Keith said in Melody Maker (march 1964) that the Paramouts where one of the best groups to come...(Gary Brooker sang and played also at Bill Wyman mariage in 1989..)
I must add that all their albums are very good or more ..and they still are a great group to see on stage nowadays...

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: June 19, 2011 17:36

Gary's a rocker...

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: June 19, 2011 17:41

mitchflorida

Her voice is similar to Grace Slick's.

Date: June 19, 2011 18:03

Chris Fountain
mitchflorida

Her voice is similar to Grace Slick's.

Honestly, she reminds me more of Robert Plant's voice . . except better.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-06-19 18:12 by mitchflorida.

Date: July 23, 2011 01:46

Before he started Procol Harum, Gary Brooker had a pretty popular r&b group called the Paramounts.

The Paramounts had a pretty big hit with Poison Ivy, which the Stones later covered. The two groups appeared on Thank Your Lucky Stars, and Mick said the Paramounts were the best R&B Group in the UK. The Paramounts recorded Poison Ivy in 1962, and the Stone recorded a similar version the following year. I prefer this version to the Stones.

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: July 23, 2011 01:59

I confess to being a "Procolholic". I have always loved their music. AWSOP is the song that identifies them for sure, but there are many other great songs they wrote and played. I particularly enjoy Shine on Brightly, Quite Rightly So, A Salty Dog, Homburg, and more. I saw them in concert last November. While it is basically Gary Brooker and several other very good musicians (hardly the original line-up), his voice is still in fine form, very smooth. They put on a very good, tight performance. Back in the late '60's, they were one of the best live acts. Huge sound, the B3, with Robin Trower on lead, and BJ Wilson on drums. Their "Repent Walpurgis" with the classical interlude was brilliant.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-23 02:10 by DaveG.

Posted by: magenta ()
Date: July 23, 2011 02:04

B.J Wilson, Procol's drummer is playing with joe Cocker in that video of Whiter Shade Of Pale. He played with Joe Cocker after Procol Harum broke up.

Posted by: Per-Arne ()
Date: July 23, 2011 02:04

Saw Bill Wyman an the Rythm Kinkhs in "Konserthuset" in Oslo on Bill`s birthday for some years ago. (24 october)It was a birthday-wish from Bill and from the whole crew. - It's only one thing that I wish: A whiter shade of pale! - And Gary Brooker sat down and did it!! I never thougth I will heare that song live!! But I did!! A surprise. It was fantastic!! I will remember it for the rest of my life! Thanks!

Per-Arne

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: July 23, 2011 02:31

Procol Harum was the first band I was ever into on my own. But I did not discover them till the mid-70s.

Gary Brooker seems to be a guy that is much respected by his peers.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1980
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home