Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Charlie Watts live with Tim Ries in Detroit
Posted by: bv ()
Date: July 8, 2015 07:36

Charlie Watts went on stage to join the Tim Ries Band 2 featuring Bernard Fowler, Darryl Jones and other great jazz musicians tonight Tuesday July 7 at the Music Box - Max M. Fisher Music Center in Detroit. The band performed for two hours, starting off with a long jazzy improvised version of Honky Tonk Women, took us through a series of Stones classics as well as other unique songs, ending with Miss You, special version as arranged in Paris following influence from Portugal and Spain, then as encore Wild Horses.

Charlie Watts was watching the show from the side backstage, then he went on stage for two songs, and the crowd went nuts. A night to remember. Peronally I think this is one of the best Tim Ries Rolling Stones Project shows I have seen ever, and I have seen a few, quite a few...

Feel free to post reports, comments and pictures here!

PS. I wrote a report about the show and the day in the blog here:

[www.iorr.org]

All photos by Tom Reusche

Bjornulf

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-09 18:58 by bv.

Re: Charlie Watts live with Tim Ries in Detroit
Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: July 8, 2015 08:57

what songs did charlie play on?

Posted by: GlimmerGirl24 ()
Date: July 8, 2015 11:21

Band Two with Tim Reis, Darryl Jones and Bernard Fowler played the Detroit Symphony Orchestra's Music Box - a small, intimate theatre with $49 VIP seats at tables and comfy seats on the risers in back. Steve And I had the $20 seats.

The rest of the band were made up of people that Tim Reis has played with since the 1970's and 80's or were recommended by friends. The drummer and trumpet player were wonderful.

The show started with Bernard looking out at us all and announcing "You all look so serious" - which we did - the elegance of the venue with tables and candlelight had us on our best behavior. The audience laughed.

Band Two started with Tim's jazz arrangement of Honky Tonk Women - very sexy and a tad sultry. Then onto a jazz arrangement of Lady Jane that I loved. Tim next introduced the band and said a young drummer and new to the Detroit scene was going to sit in. I knew immediately it was Charlie. I'd had my fingers crossed he would sit in and thought it was possible because the Max Fisher Theater offers the type of security most clubs don't - Charlie never has to go near the audience. I had noticed a bodyguard peeking out from side stage a few times too and was hoping it meant Charlie was back stage.

Charlie wandered out in a leather jacket - it was a cold, drizzling night in Detroit (Michigan was naughty and isn't getting a summer this year), red t-shirt and I think black pants. He played on two jazz standards - "For All We Know" and "All or Nothing at All." It was incredible. Exquisite.

The rest of the concert is a bit blurry (as I am at the moment). They played one of Bernard's songs. Tim brought out another special guest. He said he saw his friend Valerie in Nashville and she said he had to hear a new artist named Alicia Michelli - so he found an America's Got Talent video on YouTube. He then brought her out for "I'd Rather Go Blind." She was fantastic.

They also played Miss You - which I'm surprised that Charlie didn't play on. When introducing the song in Chicago - Tim said in Lisbon, Charlie said he would like to record with Tim's band on their next stop, which was Paris. Tim didn't have anything planned that would feature Charlie, so on the plane to Paris - he rearranged Miss You - a bit jazz, a bit flamenco and a lot Charlie. The drummer who sat in with them had a wonderful solo.

They also played Wild Horses with Alicia and Valerie singing backing vocals.

When I picked up my ticket at Will Call, there was a small Band Two poster in the window. I asked the Will Call lady for it and she gave it to me. Afterwards, Steve took off with it and Bernard autographed it with 'To Debbie.' (Thank you Steve!) We got a chance to talk to all the musicians except Charlie who left after "All or Nothing at All." As he was exiting the stage - a person in the audience jumped onto the stage to get Charlie's autograph. Charlie's security guard chased him off.

Before the concert Steve and I had dinner at Union Street with Mark P. and Matt from Alaska. Matt has been following the tour for the past six weeks.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-09 11:13 by GlimmerGirl24.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: July 8, 2015 13:35

Thanks for the reviews - sounds like Tim's home town got an extra-special Band 2 show!

Date: July 8, 2015 16:43

Alicia Michelli, who was on the guest spot singing on one song with Tim, is from Detroit. She is just 21 years old but she is highly talented, with a voice and a performance that is really impressing. See her in the Youtube clip: Alicia Michilli: Shy Girl Sings "I'd Rather Go Blind" by Etta James - America's Got Talent 2015

[www.youtube.com]

Bjornulf

Posted by: NeddieFlanders ()
Date: July 8, 2015 18:10

Part of For All We Know

[www.youtube.com]

Part of All Or Nothing At All

[www.youtube.com]

N

Posted by: Snoopy ()
Date: July 8, 2015 18:23

GlimmerGirl24
Band Two with Tim Reis, Darryl Jones and Bernard Fowler played the Detroit Symphony Orchestra's Music Box - a small, intimate theatre with $49 VIP seats at tables and comfy seats on the risers in back. Steve And I had the $20 seats.

The rest of the band were made up of people that Tim Reis has played with since the 1970's and 80's or were recommended by friends. The drummer and trumpet player were wonderful.

The show started with Bernard looking out at us all and announcing "You all look so serious" - which we did - the elegance of the venue with tables and candlelight had us on our best behavior. The audience laughed.

Band Two started with Tim's jazz arrangement of Honky Tonk Women - very sexy and a tad sultry. Then onto a jazz arrangement of Lady Jane that I loved. Tim next introduced the band and said a young drummer and new to the Detroit scene was going to sit in. I knew immediately it was Charlie. I'd had my fingers crossed he would sit in and thought it was possible because the Max Fisher Theater offers the type of security most clubs don't - Charlie never has to go near the audience. I had noticed a bodyguard peeking out from side stage a few times too and was hoping it meant Charlie was back stage.

Charlie wandered out in a leather jacket - it was a cold, drizzling night in Detroit (Michigan was naughty and isn't getting a summer this year), red t-shirt and I think black pants. He played on two jazz standards - "For All We Know" and "All or Nothing at All." It was incredible. Exquisite.

The rest of the concert is a bit blurry (as I am at the moment). They played one of Bernard's songs. Tim brought out another special guest. He said he saw his friend Valerie in Nashville and she said he had to hear a new artist named Alisha - so he found an America's Got Talent video on YouTube. He then brought her out for "I'd Rather Go Blind." She was fantastic.

They also played Miss You - which I'm surprised that Charlie didn't play on. When introducing the song in Chicago - Tim said in Lisbon, Charlie said he would like to record with Tim's band on their next stop, which was Paris. Tim didn't have anything planned that would feature Charlie, so on the plane to Paris - he rearranged Miss You - a bit jazz, a bit flamenco and a lot Charlie. The drummer who sat in with them had a wonderful solo.

They also played Wild Horses with Alisha and Valerie singing backing vocals.

When I picked up my ticket at Will Call, there was a small Band Two poster in the window. I asked the Will Call lady for it and she gave it to me. Afterwards, Steve took off with it and Bernard autographed it with 'To Debbie.' (Thank you Steve!) We got a chance to talk to all the musicians except Charlie who left after "All or Nothing at All." As he was exiting the stage - a person in the audience jumped onto the stage to get Charlie's autograph. Charlie's security guard chased him off.

Before the concert Steve and I had dinner at Union Street with Mark P. and Matt from Alaska. Matt has been following the tour for the past six weeks.

Nice review, and enjoyed meeting you last night! Also, to BV, enjoyed the chance to say hello to you as well smiling smiley

Posted by: Snoopy ()
Date: July 8, 2015 18:24

xx

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-04 20:50 by Snoopy.

Posted by: GlimmerGirl24 ()
Date: July 9, 2015 11:12

I uploaded my Periscope video recording of Band Two with Bernard, Charlie, Darryl and Tim at the Detroit Symphony Orchestra's Music Box to Dropbox.

[www.dropbox.com]

Tonight's Stones concert at Comerica Park is currently uploading to Dropbox.

Alyssa, Stevecand I appear to the overloaded the Inn on Ferry Street's wifi with all of our devices (seven at last count) - it's taking awhile.

Date: July 9, 2015 18:59

I just added six great pictures done by Tom Reusche to my first post of this thread. One of them right here:

Photo by Tom Reusche

Bjornulf

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1356
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home