Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

the begining of the 2nd half.
Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: June 20, 2015 02:53

this was keith richards opinion of the steel wheels tour and album. i didnt really see what he was getting at as the band had formed 27 years earlier and in no way could i imagine them being around for another 27 years.

but his words are nearly true. around mid 2016, his words would have been said at the end of the first half. difficult to believe, just wished i had known then what would have become of the band up to todays point. a whole 26 years maybe more to indulge.

Re: the begining of the 2nd half.
Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: June 20, 2015 02:59

The Rolling Stones are playing in overtime right now and Winning Ugly!
Who cares? Keep on ROLLING!

Date: June 20, 2015 03:01

It really is crazy if you think about it. Not much studio output after the turn of the century but,more live concerts than I expected.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: June 20, 2015 03:14

He got lucky. And honestly, there was nothing else he could have said. They were literally halfway through life. It was gonna be the second half regardless of what followed.

But yeah, he couldn't have been more right. They've been fairly consistently the same since the late 80s.

Posted by: Olly ()
Date: June 22, 2015 02:32

RollingFreak
He got lucky. And honestly, there was nothing else he could have said. They were literally halfway through life. It was gonna be the second half regardless of what followed.

But yeah, he couldn't have been more right. They've been fairly consistently the same since the late 80s.

It always intrigues me when peole express this sentiment. Since the late '80s the band have released several very different-sounding albums, have performed many different shows featuring different setlists and musicians and have undertaken numerous and varied projects.

Their sound and aesthetic, amongst other things, have been in a constant change of evolution.

Are you referring to the band's touring model in particular?

Olly.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: June 22, 2015 02:49

The first half was the sowing and the second the harvest. In many ways.

Posted by: josepi ()
Date: June 22, 2015 02:53

Stoneage

Excellent analysis! Much like any good career.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-22 02:56 by josepi.

Posted by: JMARKO ()
Date: June 22, 2015 04:52

Olly
Since the late '80s the band have released several very different-sounding albums,

It feels that way doesn't it?

But the sad reality is that they have released THREE studio albums since Steel Wheels came out. Four if you count Steel Wheels.

In 26 years.

And ONE since Bridges To Baylon, which came out 18 years ago.

That' s not even close to "several."

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 22, 2015 05:29

With hindsight what many of us think of as THE ROLLING STONES died after the Steel Wheels/Urban Jungle tour. The world's greatest rhythm section was no more, never to be equaled, or even be appropriate. The sound was never to evolve, with Voodoo Lounge a retro album, Bridges to Babylon a dated experiment, and A Bigger Bang mostly forgettable, wisp of past glory.

The first was glory, the second half feeding off of it until they exhaust even the most tolerant fan.

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: June 22, 2015 05:33

Careful, this will get merged with the set list complaints thread if you keep making honest, insightful comments like that.....

Posted by: BILLPERKS ()
Date: June 22, 2015 05:58

Keef was 100% right.
DOIN IT FOR THE GLORY , DARLING, THE GLORY !

Date: June 22, 2015 06:07

JMARKO
Olly
Since the late '80s the band have released several very different-sounding albums,

It feels that way doesn't it?

But the sad reality is that they have released THREE studio albums since Steel Wheels came out. Four if you count Steel Wheels.

In 26 years.

And ONE since Bridges To Baylon, which came out 18 years ago.

That' s not even close to "several."

'Several' is commonly defined as being between 2 and many, as shown by the definition provided by Dictionary.com: 'being more than two but fewer than many in number or kind.'

In no way can four albums not be considered several.

Hopefully I won't gain an ill-deserved reputation for pedantry smiling smiley, but the fact is The Rolling Stones have released several albums since the late '80s, each of which has offered something new. thumbs up

Olly.

Date: June 22, 2015 17:00

24FPS
With hindsight what many of us think of as THE ROLLING STONES died after the Steel Wheels/Urban Jungle tour. The world's greatest rhythm section was no more, never to be equaled, or even be appropriate. The sound was never to evolve, with Voodoo Lounge a retro album, Bridges to Babylon a dated experiment, and A Bigger Bang mostly forgettable, wisp of past glory.

The first was glory, the second half feeding off of it until they exhaust even the most tolerant fan.

The sound of The Rolling Stones is in a constant state of evolution, if not from show to show then certainly from tour to tour, and has evolved hugely since 1990. Members of the extended band, song arrangements, the natural change in playing styles of individuals and the band and technology, amongst other things, have assisted and often driven this change.

I can agree in part that Voodoo Lounge has somethinmg of a 'retro' feel. With regards to A Bigger Bang, I would disagree with your view but concede that many fans would agree with it.eye rolling smiley

What makes Bridges to Babylon 'a dated experiment'?

And could you qualify your statement regarding the appropriateness of the band's rhythm section?

Olly.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 22, 2015 23:06

Olly
24FPS

The sound of The Rolling Stones is in a constant state of evolution, if not from show to show then certainly from tour to tour, and has evolved hugely since 1990. Members of the extended band, song arrangements, the natural change in playing styles of individuals and the band and technology, amongst other things, have assisted and often driven this change.

I can agree in part that Voodoo Lounge has somethinmg of a 'retro' feel. With regards to A Bigger Bang, I would disagree with your view but concede that many fans would agree with it.eye rolling smiley

What makes Bridges to Babylon 'a dated experiment'?

And could you qualify your statement regarding the appropriateness of the band's rhythm section?

For me personally, I liked the sound of BTB when it came out, but now those songs like Gunface don't hold up. Anybody Seen My Baby seems kind of a minor song now.

The appropriateness of the Rolling Stones' rhythm section? The bass in the classic RS sound has a purpose, either corral the guitars when live so it doesn't become cacophony, or push the sound. In the studio the bass always provide emotional (No Expectations), sometimes humorous underpinnings (She's So Cold). In other words the bass had personality and was an addition to the sound. The current bass setup does none of those things.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: June 23, 2015 01:00

Interesting play with numbers (27 years, regarding to the 1st post):

1962 (founding) + 27 years = 1989 (Steel Wheels) + 27 years = 2016 (2x27 years active) + 27 years = 2043 (Mick & Keith are 100 years) .... smiling smiley

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: June 23, 2015 01:11

Irix
Interesting play with numbers (27 years, regarding to the 1st post):

1962 (founding) + 27 years = 1989 (Steel Wheels) + 27 years = 2016 (2x27 years active) + 27 years = 2043 (Mick & Keith are 100 years) .... smiling smiley

I hope there'll be reasonable ticket prices for "100 and counting" tour smileys with beer

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 23, 2015 02:00

Stoneage

as long as they don't' fear the reaper

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1896
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home