Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: "Take A Walk on the Dark Side" book by Gary Patterson
Posted by: mitchrambler ()
Date: June 22, 2015 03:31

has anyone ever read or skimmed thru R.GARY PATTERSON ROCK N ROLL LEGENDS MYTHS AND CURSES? ITS A GREAT READ IN MY OPINION AND ONE CHAPTER IS DEDICTAED TO ALTAMONT

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-23 01:52 by bv.

Re: book
Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: June 22, 2015 04:55

mitchrambler
has anyone ever read or skimmed thru R.GARY PATTERSON ROCK N ROLL LEGENDS MYTHS AND CURSES? ITS A GREAT READ IN MY OPINION AND ONE CHAPTER IS DEDICTAED TO ALTAMONT

Never heard of it.

But if it's as "interesting" as another book of his that I do have - The Great Beatle Death Clues - then I'll not seek too hard to fill that gap in my collection.

PS. This thread could do with a better Subject line.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: June 22, 2015 06:57

I'll keep an eye out for it, thanks. I'm sure swiss would be interested since she's our resident Altamont expert. Perhaps she's already read it in which case I hope she chimes in with a comment.

peace

Posted by: RS ()
Date: June 22, 2015 07:27

I will keep my eye out for it as well. It sounds like a cool book, considering its Rock n Roll!

-RS

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: June 22, 2015 07:40

hi there.

Mitch, I have read sections on Altamont--I didn't remember there was a dedicated chapter. I believe there's a section on whether Brian Jones was murdered by the Stones. Skimmed other parts about Kurt Cobain, Led Zeppelin, Robert Johnson, the Grateful Dead, on and on. I don't own it. So I can't refer to it right now. And only vaguely remember it.

What I do remember is it could be--as you say--a "fun" read but, in my opinion, sort of in the way that Spanish Tony's book is a fun read, or the way that Cocksvucker Blues is a fun film. Like really pretty tawdry guilty pleasure fun, like gets your heart going in a weird way, but you feel like taking a shower afterward. And with less substance than Tony Sanchez's book or CS Blues.

I remember the authors state the Grateful Dead played at Altamont, get the date of Altamont wrong, make assertions about Mick and Satanic and Occult stuff, sort of (if I recall correctly) suggesting connection between the Manson murders and what happened at Altamont beyond the fact they both happened in California within months of each other. And speculation around the shadow cast upon the Stones by Altamont.

It is a sensationalistic "light" book, on some very dark topics. Not to be consulted for facts, because it's rife with errors and very personal generalizations and theories. As Dylan might say, not my cup of meat, but...it's got some entertainment value, if it suits your fancy to be titillated by hogey-bogey boogeyman Beelzebub type superstitions, tales, and intrigues.

- swiss

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-22 07:59 by swiss.

Date: June 23, 2015 01:39

CaptainCorella
mitchrambler

Never heard of it.

But if it's as "interesting" as another book of his that I do have - The Great Beatle Death Clues - then I'll not seek too hard to fill that gap in my collection.

PS. This thread could do with a better Subject line.
yes your right sorry

Date: June 23, 2015 01:42

swiss
hi there.

Mitch, I have read sections on Altamont--I didn't remember there was a dedicated chapter. I believe there's a section on whether Brian Jones was murdered by the Stones. Skimmed other parts about Kurt Cobain, Led Zeppelin, Robert Johnson, the Grateful Dead, on and on. I don't own it. So I can't refer to it right now. And only vaguely remember it.

What I do remember is it could be--as you say--a "fun" read but, in my opinion, sort of in the way that Spanish Tony's book is a fun read, or the way that Cocksvucker Blues is a fun film. Like really pretty tawdry guilty pleasure fun, like gets your heart going in a weird way, but you feel like taking a shower afterward. And with less substance than Tony Sanchez's book or CS Blues.yea its been a while since ive read it I let some one borrow it and never received it back but maybe that whole chapter isn't all about Altamont,but overall a fun read like the 27 club and the guy is a big stones fan he mentions that in his foreward

I remember the authors state the Grateful Dead played at Altamont, get the date of Altamont wrong, make assertions about Mick and Satanic and Occult stuff, sort of (if I recall correctly) suggesting connection between the Manson murders and what happened at Altamont beyond the fact they both happened in California within months of each other. And speculation around the shadow cast upon the Stones by Altamont.

It is a sensationalistic "light" book, on some very dark topics. Not to be consulted for facts, because it's rife with errors and very personal generalizations and theories. As Dylan might say, not my cup of meat, but...it's got some entertainment value, if it suits your fancy to be titillated by hogey-bogey boogeyman Beelzebub type superstitions, tales, and intrigues.

- swiss

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2460
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home