Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Arise Sir Van Morrison
Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: June 13, 2015 09:21

Well would you believe - old grumpyness Van Morrison is going to be knighted. God bless Van and long may here prosper.

This from Sky News.

The Queen's Birthday Honours List has been announced, with Belfast-born writer and singer Van Morrison receiving a knighthood.

Best known for Brown-Eyed Girl and Gloria, the 69-year-old began his career in the 1960s and continues to write and perform.

He is honoured for his services to music and tourism in Northern Ireland.

[news.sky.com]

Re: OT: Arise Sir Van Morrison
Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: June 13, 2015 09:50

Seriously?

hot smiley hot smiley hot smiley

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: June 13, 2015 10:16

Here comes the Knight!

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: June 13, 2015 10:53

"If you don't like it, go f@ck yourself!!"

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: June 13, 2015 11:00

Deltics
Here comes the Knight!

LOL! >grinning smiley<

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: June 13, 2015 16:54

Will it be Sir George then? Or Sir Ivan? Or Sir George Ivan? And what will the IRA say about this?

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: June 13, 2015 17:57

Will he stay to the end of the ceremony? grinning smiley

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: June 13, 2015 18:28

I've aired my views in the past about knighthoods and their worthlessness. I'll keep stum about what I feel about this particular decision. As for Stoneage's IRA remark? Morrison is from Belfast, U.K.

Date: June 13, 2015 18:48

Big Al
I've aired my views in the past about knighthoods and their worthlessness. I'll keep stum about what I feel about this particular decision. As for Stoneage's IRA remark? Morrison is from Belfast, U.K.

So you mean the IRA has nothing to do with Northern Irland and Belfast then, Big Al? Are you by any chance American?

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: June 13, 2015 19:01

Never claimed to understand the whole monarchy and titles business but it seems a bit strange to me that minstrals are getting crowned as knights.

I mean what has Mr. Morrison done to actually serve his country? Certainly he is a national treasure, much like Mick. I guess this is about recognition of popularity and cultural impact as much as any true dedication and service to the realm.

peace

Date: June 13, 2015 19:22

The great Sven Hedin was the last person to be knighted in Sweden in 1902. Sweden is still a monarchy however. I think most countries in Europe have abolished this custom.
England (or Great Britain) is very conservative though. They still haven't accepted the meter system and still drives on the left side of the road. Among many other things...

Date: June 13, 2015 20:22

Stoneage
Big Al

So you mean the IRA has nothing to do with Northern Irland and Belfast then, Big Al? Are you by any chance American?

Yes, of course it does. I have a basic understanding of the troubles that have taken place on the island of Ireland. American? No, I am a Briton.

Date: June 13, 2015 20:33

Okey Al, then you probably know more about this than I. Anyway, the IRA are disarmed now.

Date: June 13, 2015 20:48

Stoneage
Okey Al, then you probably know more about this than I. Anyway, the IRA are disarmed now.

Know what? I'm not too sure of my original point now, anyway!

Bottom line: I don't 'get' knighthoods in the 21st century.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: June 14, 2015 01:20

Big Al
Stoneage

Know what? I'm not too sure of my original point now, anyway!

Bottom line: I don't 'get' knighthoods in the 21st century.

Neither does Keith: "I thought it was ludicrous to take one of those gongs from the establishment...it's not what the Stones is about, is it? I don't want to step out on stage with someone wearing a @#$%& coronet and sporting the old ermine. I told Mick, It's a @#$%& paltry honour."

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: June 14, 2015 02:17

I imagine Van might have his own reasons for choosing to accept the knighthood that some here seem disgruntled about.

I recall a 1993 music magazine interview (by Victoria Clarke, “The Hardest Thinking Man in Showbiz,” Q, August 1993) where he describes the disappointing experience he had with the music business of the mid-60s. One of his quotes from that interview was: "If you were Irish in mid-60s London, you were Paddy. You were f^cked."

So, perhaps his accepting the honor represents, in some small way, transcending those earlier feelings of inferiority that were ingrained at a young age.

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: June 14, 2015 03:29

Kind of an odd honor for a man who eschews the trapping of stardom and celebrity. But knowing his curmudgeon image perhaps he thought it would be too ungracious to refuse it. He is an odd duck burdened with the love, affection and admiration of his fans. I will ask again: Why do the Stones not cover Gloria on stage? I went to an Oakland show to see Van open, hoping it would happen, but it did not.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: June 14, 2015 03:30

Contrary to popular belief, the words 'Arise, Sir...' are not used.
[www.royal.gov.uk]

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: June 14, 2015 19:32

pmk251
Kind of an odd honor for a man who eschews the trapping of stardom and celebrity. But knowing his curmudgeon image perhaps he thought it would be too ungracious to refuse it. He is an odd duck burdened with the love, affection and admiration of his fans.

You are actually talking about past times. Van took a big turnaround when he commissioned someone called WebSheriff to fight copyright violations. He had videos deleted from YouTube,and while he had been extremely generous with radio and TV broadcasts he also commissioned restrictions. IMO this was the worst he could do since he upset his most fervent fans who bought all his CDs anyway and enjoyed the many excellent bootlegs which hardly ever diminished Van's profits. He said in an interview that his fans still buy lots of CDs because they prefer the album format over downloads. Meanwhile these useless restrictions have been lifted.

Since then he did not release any truly remarkable music. He probably never will release a weak album but I found BORN TO SING rather a boring runthrough because it was recorded live in the studio. His great albums, however, achieved their calssic status due to the ingenious arrangements which even could save some rather mediocre songs and made the great songs spectacular. The duets album of some of his obscure songs from the past does not seem to be spectacular, either. For years he has not released any archival recordings. He is still an excellent performer with a crack band and plays a variety of songs in his concerts. But the old bite and the anti-star attidude is gone which is understandable if someone is speeding up 70.

Posted by: Donnebr ()
Date: June 15, 2015 00:08

He is from East Belfast & with his backgroung to be knighted is a big honor. He still lives in Belfast & has never played the orange card. As a Belfast man myself from the other "side", I have no love of knighthoods but have no problem with van taking it.

Date: June 15, 2015 00:46

Maybe we could post a couple of videos here in honor of Sir George Ivan?
Before it will be merged into another thread.
Here are Raglan Road (with the Chieftains) and Orange Field:

Raglan Road

Orangefield

Posted by: ozziestone ()
Date: June 15, 2015 11:32

Who might be next? Sir Eric?

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: June 15, 2015 11:56

Donnebr
He is from East Belfast & with his backgroung to be knighted is a big honor. He still lives in Belfast & has never played the orange card. As a Belfast man myself from the other "side", I have no love of knighthoods but have no problem with van taking it.

He might still have a house in Belfast but I thought he lived in Sussex.

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: June 15, 2015 13:01

It's the "services to tourism" bit I don't get! Do people really visit Northern Ireland because of the Van Morrison connection?

Date: June 15, 2015 15:18

Imagine Sir Michael still having the same power in his voice as Sir George Ivan...

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: June 15, 2015 15:18

Sweet Thing (Montreux, July 1990), one of his best concerts ever (which I saw from the first row!). He should release the entire video in brillant Picture & sound!!

[www.youtube.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1719
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home