Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Jimmy Page shows up at Donovan gig at RAH June 3rd 2011
Posted by: Bingo ()
Date: June 7, 2011 06:46

Re: Jimmy Page shows up at Donovan gig at RAH June 3rd 2011
Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: June 7, 2011 07:24

Thanks for posting Bingo. Cool vids!

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: June 7, 2011 09:56

I was there. Great to see Jimmy in action again. He needs to get out more. As for Donovan, well the first half was cringe-inducing as he appeared to be tone deaf. He really struggled singing in tune, particularly on the sublime Wear Your Love Like Heaven.

However, for the second half of the concert, which was the Sunshine Superman album played in its entirety, old Don pulled it out of the bag and really shone. It was a great show and it brought home just how overlooked this album is in terms of heralding in both world music and psychedelia. It came out in 66 though recordings starting in late 65.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-06-07 09:56 by Silver Dagger.

Posted by: Child Of Clay ()
Date: June 7, 2011 10:33

love the orchestra gawking at Jimmy during Superman! must have been terribly frustrating for Donovan to see his pioneering work delayed for what must have felt like an eternity for a young man - and what turned out to be a crucial year or so in rock music. Followers appeared as trail blazers due to those legal hassles.

Posted by: ajc68 ()
Date: June 7, 2011 11:39

Both Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones did some session work with Donovan pre-Zep. Hurdy Gudry Man, recorded in April 1968, actually had Page, Jones and Bonham on it a few months before the first Zep sessions.

Date: June 7, 2011 12:08

Child Of Clay
love the orchestra gawking at Jimmy during Superman! must have been terribly frustrating for Donovan to see his pioneering work delayed for what must have felt like an eternity for a young man - and what turned out to be a crucial year or so in rock music. Followers appeared as trail blazers due to those legal hassles.

Totally agree. Donovan does have a claim for ushering in psychedelia in the UK. Sunshine Superman pre-dated The Beatles as well as every other UK act's foray into psychedelic music. Not so sure about America as there were growing underground psychedelic scenes in Texas and California. But as far as established acts are as concerned I think he was a trailblazer.

He also embraced eastern music before The Beatles and other supposed stalwarts such as The Incredible String Band who have since been lauded with helping establish World Music.

Unfortunately, for anyone who has seen his DVD, Sunshine Superman, he is unbearably smug about his pioneering musical journeys such as teaching Beatles John, Paul and George finger-picking and being at the forefront of heavy metal by working with Jimmy Page and Jeff Beck. It's a shame he never worked with Humble Pie because he sure needs a slice of it. Still love a lot of his music though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-06-07 12:56 by Silver Dagger.

Posted by: Child Of Clay ()
Date: June 7, 2011 12:18

smug's the word, "also invented the wheel" as a memorable MOJO-caption read. Still, I'm a fan, and here's a traditional song from 1971 with some crazy vocals:

video: [youtu.be]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2011-06-07 13:12 by Child Of Clay.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: June 7, 2011 12:47

ajc68
Both Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones did some session work with Donovan pre-Zep. Hurdy Gudry Man, recorded in April 1968, actually had Page, Jones and Bonham on it a few months before the first Zep sessions.

Whilst Sunshine Superman does feature Page on guitar, there is some debate over whether-or-not he appears on Hurdy Gurdy Man. Sources in the past - complilations and such - often state that it's Page, but others say it isn't. I suspect the latter, personally. John Paul Jones arranged and performed on many of Donovan's 60's studio recordings: Mellow Yellow and Hurdy Gurdy Man being two known examples.

Posted by: Thricenay ()
Date: June 7, 2011 12:53

Silver Dagger
I was there. Great to see Jimmy in action again. He needs to get out more. As for Donovan, well the first half was cringe-inducing as he appeared to be tone deaf. He really struggled singing in tune, particularly on the sublime Wear Your Love Like Heaven.

However, for the second half of the concert, which was the Sunshine Superman album played in its entirety, old Don pulled it out of the bag and really shone. It was a great show and it brought home just how overlooked this album is in terms of heralding in both world music and psychedelia. It came out in 66 though recordings starting in late 65.

And it was produced by Mickie Most, who ironically has one of the least 'experimental' reputations of any producer. Jimmy Page, for one, rarely misses an opportunity to criticise him for his work with The Yardbirds. But of course Most produced Truth, which is a story in itself...

Date: June 7, 2011 13:06

Thricenay
Silver Dagger

And it was produced by Mickie Most, who ironically has one of the least 'experimental' reputations of any producer. Jimmy Page, for one, rarely misses an opportunity to criticise him for his work with The Yardbirds. But of course Most produced Truth, which is a story in itself...

Yes, it's a strange one that as to me Truth was the album that really kicked off heavy metal and inspired Led Zeppelin's 1st album. If Beck's Bolero ain't experimental and ground-breaking then I don't know what is!

And while The Yardbirds' album swansong Little Games was pop psychedelia instead of the full blown Hendrix deal it did have some great moments such as Page's White Summer, Glimpses, Tinker Tailor, Soldier, Sailor.

Most was a former pop crooner and his deal with EMI was to achieve pop hits which he did very well. But psychedelia and heavy rock effectively killed him off and he went on to have a few more hits with Peter Noone.

Date: June 7, 2011 13:19

Silver Dagger
Thricenay
Silver Dagger

Yes, it's a strange one that as to me Truth was the album that really kicked off heavy metal and inspired Led Zeppelin's 1st album. If Beck's Bolero ain't experimental and ground-breaking then I don't know what is!

And while The Yardbirds' album swansong Little Games was pop psychedelia instead of the full blown Hendrix deal it did have some great moments such as Page's White Summer, Glimpses, Tinker Tailor, Soldier, Sailor.

Most was a former pop crooner and his deal with EMI was to achieve pop hits which he did very well. But psychedelia and heavy rock effectively killed him off and he went on to have a few more hits with Peter Noone.

Actually, Most had fantastic success in the '70s: Kenny, Racey, Suzi Quatro, Smokie. But I'll understand if not too many people on IORR have those 45s in their collection. I was young, what can I say?

Date: June 7, 2011 13:52

Thricenay
Silver Dagger
Thricenay
Silver Dagger

Actually, Most had fantastic success in the '70s: Kenny, Racey, Suzi Quatro, Smokie. But I'll understand if not too many people on IORR have those 45s in their collection. I was young, what can I say?

Yes, he certainly RAK'd up the hits! smileys with beer

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: June 7, 2011 14:02

ajc68

Page and Bonham do not play on Hurdy Gurdy Man. Page has told us he didn't play on it and Page and Bonham hadn't even met by that time.

Date: June 7, 2011 14:14

Silver Dagger

Totally agree. Donovan does have a claim for ushering in psychedelia in the UK. Sunshine Superman pre-dated The Beatles as well as every other UK act's foray into psychedelic music. Not so sure about America as there were growing underground psychedelic scenes in Texas and California. But as far as established acts are as concerned I think he was a trailblazer.

He also embraced eastern music before The Beatles and other supposed stalwarts such as The Incredible String Band who have since been lauded with helping establish World Music.

Unfortunately, for anyone who has seen his DVD, Sunshine Superman, he is unbearably smug about his pioneering musical journeys such as teaching Beatles John, Paul and George finger-picking and being at the forefront of heavy metal
by working with Jimmy Page and Jeff Beck. It's a shame he never worked with Humble Pie because he sure needs a slice of it. Still love a lot of his music though.

He was a trailblazer, but much of that credit should go to his arranger John Cameron. Also, it's not true that he did such things before The Beatles or anyone
else in UK. Both The Beatles and The Yardbirds were already doing eastern influenced, proto-psych type stuff by 1965.

Rather than being the guy who kick started it, regarding the UK Donovan was simply a part of a movement along with various other bands and musicians which slowly evolved beat pop in to psychedelic music.

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: June 7, 2011 14:18

Silver Dagger

An unemployed Jimmy. A pity really

"we know it's a bit late but we hope you don't mind if we stay"

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: June 7, 2011 14:40

fascinating indeed that Donovan still is
on the scene and also sounding good
gummisnood...smoking smiley

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: June 7, 2011 14:59

Silver Dagger
[ If Beck's Bolero ain't experimental and ground-breaking then I don't know what is!

And it was originally released as the B-side of Hi-Ho Silver Linning, that fabulous slice of pop mastery. grinning smiley

Date: June 7, 2011 15:10

Big Al
Silver Dagger
[ If Beck's Bolero ain't experimental and ground-breaking then I don't know what is!

And it was originally released as the B-side of Hi-Ho Silver Linning, that fabulous slice of pop mastery. grinning smiley

Becks Bolero was recorded in secret at IBC Studios in May 1966, Mickey Most didn't have anything to do with it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-06-07 15:11 by His Majesty.

Date: June 7, 2011 16:10

His Majesty
Silver Dagger

Unfortunately, for anyone who has seen his DVD, Sunshine Superman, he is unbearably smug about his pioneering musical journeys such as teaching Beatles John, Paul and George finger-picking and being at the forefront of heavy metal
by working with Jimmy Page and Jeff Beck. It's a shame he never worked with Humble Pie because he sure needs a slice of it. Still love a lot of his music though.

He was a trailblazer, but much of that credit should go to his arranger John Cameron. Also, it's not true that he did such things before The Beatles or anyone
else in UK. Both The Beatles and The Yardbirds were already doing eastern influenced, proto-psych type stuff by 1965.

Rather than being the guy who kick started it, regarding the UK Donovan was simply a part of a movement along with various other bands and musicians which slowly evolved beat pop in to psychedelic music.

Sure The Beatles had Norwegian Wood and The Yardbirds had Still I'm Sad but wasn't Donovan the first to have a chart hit with "the new psychedelic sound"?

When did The Kinks release See My Friends as that drone sound has also been credited as being one of the first psychedelic singles?

Date: June 7, 2011 16:25

Silver Dagger

Sure The Beatles had Norwegian Wood and The Yardbirds had Still I'm Sad but wasn't Donovan the first to have a chart hit with "the new psychedelic sound"?

When did The Kinks release See My Friends as that drone sound has also been credited as being one of the first psychedelic singles?

The Yardbirds and The Beatles had a lot more on offer than that in 1965.

See My Friend is also for 1965.

Date: June 7, 2011 16:28

I haven't read Donovan's autobiography yet, but doesn't he claim to have invented everything?

Date: June 7, 2011 16:29

Thricenay
I haven't read Donovan's autobiography yet, but doesn't he claim to have invented everything?

I have read it and yes he does, bless him. grinning smiley

Posted by: Claire_M ()
Date: June 7, 2011 16:43

Thricenay
[Actually, Most had fantastic success in the '70s: Kenny, Racey, Suzi Quatro, Smokie. But I'll understand if not too many people on IORR have those 45s in their collection. I was young, what can I say?

Didn't Most also produce Sweet (or The Sweet if you're British)? He did all their hits IIRC.

Date: June 7, 2011 17:13

Claire_M
Thricenay
[Actually, Most had fantastic success in the '70s: Kenny, Racey, Suzi Quatro, Smokie. But I'll understand if not too many people on IORR have those 45s in their collection. I was young, what can I say?

Didn't Most also produce Sweet (or The Sweet if you're British)? He did all their hits IIRC.

No, that was Phil Wainman. The connection between Most and Sweet is the writing partnership Mike Chapman and Nicky Chinn, who also wrote for Quatro, Mud and Racey.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: June 7, 2011 17:43

That was fun. Thanks for posting. I saw Donovan live at The Cleveland Zoo (an actual zoo, not a club) around 1983. A far cry from the Royal Albert Hall.

Date: June 7, 2011 17:55

Thread of the day Bingo. At least we've had something interesting to discuss which makes up for a lot of crap threads recently. smileys with beer

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: June 7, 2011 18:58

toomuchforme
Silver Dagger

Well he doesn't have to be. Stop waiting around for Plant. Just put some guy's together and play some music Jimmy. Doesn't have to be a Zep reunion.

Posted by: Bingo ()
Date: June 7, 2011 19:06

sweetcharmedlife
toomuchforme
Silver Dagger

Well he doesn't have to be. Stop waiting around for Plant. Just put some guy's together and play some music Jimmy. Doesn't have to be a Zep reunion.

Exactly! I saw him with whatever band he was with in 88? Saw him at what use to be The Ritz in NYC, now Webster Hall, one of the best shows I ever saw.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: June 8, 2011 11:54

Big Al
ajc68

Whilst Sunshine Superman does feature Page on guitar, there is some debate over whether-or-not he appears on Hurdy Gurdy Man. Sources in the past - complilations and such - often state that it's Page, but others say it isn't. I suspect the latter, personally. John Paul Jones arranged and performed on many of Donovan's 60's studio recordings: Mellow Yellow and Hurdy Gurdy Man being two known examples.

Regarding the lineup on Hurdy Gurdy Man, Wikipedia states as follows:

"In the booklet that came with Donovan's 1992 double CD, Troubadour: The Definitive Collection 1964-1976, Allan Holdsworth and Jimmy Page are listed as the electric guitar players and John Bonham and Clem Cattini as drummers on the recording. However, according to John Paul Jones, who arranged and played bass on the track (and also booked the session musicians), Clem Cattini played the drums and Alan Parker played the electric guitar. This line-up was confirmed by Cattini."

Parker also supplied the funk licks on Bowie's 1984.

Date: June 8, 2011 13:01

ab
Big Al
ajc68

Regarding the lineup on Hurdy Gurdy Man, Wikipedia states as follows:

"In the booklet that came with Donovan's 1992 double CD, Troubadour: The Definitive Collection 1964-1976, Allan Holdsworth and Jimmy Page are listed as the electric guitar players and John Bonham and Clem Cattini as drummers on the recording. However, according to John Paul Jones, who arranged and played bass on the track (and also booked the session musicians), Clem Cattini played the drums and Alan Parker played the electric guitar. This line-up was confirmed by Cattini."

Parker also supplied the funk licks on Bowie's 1984.

And, he claims, the riff on Rebel Rebel.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1524
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home