Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
OT: Lou Reed Summer European tour 2012
Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: June 7, 2012 17:09

Lou Reed started his European tour for the summer last night in Luxembourg. Hoping to see him come to the US. He's someone I've never gotten around to seeing but is definitely up on my list of concerts. Was hoping for a different sort of setlist since the tour is called From VU To Lulu so I was hoping for more career spanning. Or not as much more career spanning as longer in length. But understandably he's 70 and even at this length, it still could have gone 1:45 to 2 hours. Hoping we see some more dates and hopefully some setlist changes each night to go through his whole catalogue.

Here is the opening night set from last night:

1) Brandenburg Gate (from Lulu - 2011)
2) Heroin (Velvet Underground song - 1967)
3) I'm Waiting For The Man (Velvet Underground song - 1967)
4) Senselessly Cruel (from Rock And Roll Heart - 1976)
5) The View (from Lulu - 2011)
6) Mistress Dread (from Lulu - 2011)
7) White Light/White Heat (Velvet Underground song - 1968)
8) Street Hassle (from Street Hassle - 1978)
9) Cremation (from Magic And Loss -1992)
10) Think It Over (from Growing Up In Public - 1980)
11) Walk On The Wild Side (from Transformer - 1972)

ENCORE

12) Junior Dad (from Lulu - 2011)
13) Sad Song (from Berlin - 1973)

Re: OT: Lou Reed Summer European tour 2012
Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: June 7, 2012 17:29

Wow, he did a song from Growing Up In Public?! Right on.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: June 7, 2012 18:06

GumbootCloggeroo

Think It Over is one of the few songs of Growing Up In Public that are quite good.

Date: June 7, 2012 19:00

Agreed that its nice to see him playing stuff off some relatively unknown records. But was totally hoping for maybe something off his debut, Sally Can't Dance, New York, Set The Twilight Reeling, Ecstasy. Just so much stuff and it seems Lulu definitely was a bit overbearing if Lou is only gonna play 13 songs.

Posted by: JohnnyBGoode ()
Date: June 7, 2012 19:03

I want to get into Lou's music. Should I just start with the first album and go from there?

Date: June 7, 2012 19:07

kowalski
GumbootCloggeroo

Think It Over is one of the few songs of Growing Up In Public that are quite good.
I don't understand the dislike for that album. I think it's killer! Maybe the album was too rocking and heavy for Lou's fans?

Date: June 7, 2012 19:25

JohnnyBGoode
I want to get into Lou's music. Should I just start with the first album and go from there?
I would start with his second album, Transformer. His first one, titled Lou Reed, is okay but nothing special. I'd recommend every album he did in the 70s. He was hit and miss after that. But definitely start with his 70's albums and not with something like Mistrial.

Date: June 7, 2012 19:26

JohnnyBGoode
I just got into Lou earlier this year. I knew about his period from 1972-1975 but that was it. He annoyed me but now I have definitely seen the light. He's one of my dad's favorites so I benefited from having it all at my fingertips.

My advice:

All his albums are different. Don't get too attached to anything because most likely thats the only sort of album he did in that way. I say this in relation to his debut (which I think is killer), Transformer, Berlin, and Rock and Roll Animal. His debut is very similar to the hard rock 60s/early 70s type sound and unfortunately its the only time he ever really did that. Sort of like the Velvet Underground I guess, but I would say the songs are a bit more straight up rock as opposed to being experimental.

Transformer was obviously his breakthrough and one of my top 3 favorites of his. Poppy for Lou but its 70s rock with catchy hooks. I like that, and again, he never really revisits it. I feel he always has a slight distaste for that album because its glammy and he wasn't the glam type like David Bowie.

Berlin is an amazing album but it may take some listens. Its a tough story and is a pretty depressing album, but I think its genius. Hard rocking, no bullshit first side of the record, then the second is slit your wrists up until the end. A great album, but again, hard to say it isn't very different than his other stuff. I guess thats where he was getting into his own groove he would follow.

Rock And Roll Animal is quite possibly the best live album of all time. Lou guitars, amazing versions of Velvet Underground songs (which I'm really not a huge fan of that band, but I love them on here). Lou in monotone vocals, but it definitely works for the setup. Just an all around amazing live album. Yet another one of its kind for him that he never quite returns to.

To actually answer your question, I would say you have a few places that would be good to start IMO. Either with his early hard rock/glammy period. Probably his best but I think he definitely sees that as the past. It can be ignored by him quite a bit in favor of future works. But that run of albums of Transformer, Berlin, Rock And Roll Animal, and his debut is a nice starter. Its different from what he does later, but its sort of how he got famous on his own and is an important part of his career. Also, just as a Stones fan I think you'll like that period the best.

Or you can start with mature Lou. He has some great later albums. New York is a great starter. Ecstasy is a very good album. Animal Serenade is another amazing live album that actually might give you the best sampling of his career. I knew 3 songs on that album when I bought it and fell in love with the whole setlist. That was when I went back.

Sorry to be way too rambling. Here is where I would start:

-Glam Period: Transformer, Berlin, Rock And Roll Animal. The most hard rocking and probably his most accessible records.

-Later years: New York, Ecstasy, Set The Twilight Reeling (can't believe I forgot to mention that one before). Mature Lou which is just as good as early stuff but may take some time. Those are the most accessible IMO of his later albums.

-Live albums: Rock And Roll Animal is amazing, but its one of a kind so don't get too attached. Also its mostly Velvet Underground songs. Animal Serenade is a great sampler and what started my obsession.

I would either start with the Glam Period or Animal Serenade. Everything in between is pretty experimental. Can be great, but I also feel you have to know Lou to really like it and appreciate it. It can sound like babbling awful music if you aren't a fan. Sorry for the very long answer, but I just recently experienced all of this so just gave all the info I could.

Date: June 7, 2012 19:30

RollingFreak
JohnnyBGoode
I just got into Lou earlier this year. I knew about his period from 1972-1975 but that was it. He annoyed me but now I have definitely seen the light. He's one of my dad's favorites so I benefited from having it all at my fingertips.

My advice:

All his albums are different. Don't get too attached to anything because most likely thats the only sort of album he did in that way. I say this in relation to his debut (which I think is killer), Transformer, Berlin, and Rock and Roll Animal. His debut is very similar to the hard rock 60s/early 70s type sound and unfortunately its the only time he ever really did that. Sort of like the Velvet Underground I guess, but I would say the songs are a bit more straight up rock as opposed to being experimental.

Transformer was obviously his breakthrough and one of my top 3 favorites of his. Poppy for Lou but its 70s rock with catchy hooks. I like that, and again, he never really revisits it. I feel he always has a slight distaste for that album because its glammy and he wasn't the glam type like David Bowie.

Berlin is an amazing album but it may take some listens. Its a tough story and is a pretty depressing album, but I think its genius. Hard rocking, no bullshit first side of the record, then the second is slit your wrists up until the end. A great album, but again, hard to say it isn't very different than his other stuff. I guess thats where he was getting into his own groove he would follow.

Rock And Roll Animal is quite possibly the best live album of all time. Lou guitars, amazing versions of Velvet Underground songs (which I'm really not a huge fan of that band, but I love them on here). Lou in monotone vocals, but it definitely works for the setup. Just an all around amazing live album. Yet another one of its kind for him that he never quite returns to.

To actually answer your question, I would say you have a few places that would be good to start IMO. Either with his early hard rock/glammy period. Probably his best but I think he definitely sees that as the past. It can be ignored by him quite a bit in favor of future works. But that run of albums of Transformer, Berlin, Rock And Roll Animal, and his debut is a nice starter. Its different from what he does later, but its sort of how he got famous on his own and is an important part of his career. Also, just as a Stones fan I think you'll like that period the best.

Or you can start with mature Lou. He has some great later albums. New York is a great starter. Ecstasy is a very good album. Animal Serenade is another amazing live album that actually might give you the best sampling of his career. I knew 3 songs on that album when I bought it and fell in love with the whole setlist. That was when I went back.

Sorry to be way too rambling. Here is where I would start:

-Glam Period: Transformer, Berlin, Rock And Roll Animal. The most hard rocking and probably his most accessible records.

-Later years: New York, Ecstasy, Set The Twilight Reeling (can't believe I forgot to mention that one before). Mature Lou which is just as good as early stuff but may take some time. Those are the most accessible IMO of his later albums.

-Live albums: Rock And Roll Animal is amazing, but its one of a kind so don't get too attached. Also its mostly Velvet Underground songs. Animal Serenade is a great sampler and what started my obsession.

I would either start with the Glam Period or Animal Serenade. Everything in between is pretty experimental. Can be great, but I also feel you have to know Lou to really like it and appreciate it. It can sound like babbling awful music if you aren't a fan. Sorry for the very long answer, but I just recently experienced all of this so just gave all the info I could.

WOW! Thanks for the info!

Date: June 7, 2012 19:31

Good post, RollingFreak! I'm in the mood for some Lou now. Thanks!

Date: June 7, 2012 19:34

GumbootCloggeroo
kowalski
GumbootCloggeroo

I don't understand the dislike for that album. I think it's killer! Maybe the album was too rocking and heavy for Lou's fans?

It's quite good, but albums he did just after are much better IMO. (from Blue Mask to Mistrial).

Date: June 7, 2012 19:36

Along with Rock And Roll Animal I would also recommend you check out Lou Reed Live, it has more songs from the Rock And Roll Animal concert.

Date: June 7, 2012 19:37

Glad I could help. Now that I have finally gotten into him, it would kill me not to see him live. Especially since he's doing it, just not on my continent. I hope he manages to make it to US one last time so I can see him in action.

Date: June 7, 2012 19:38

GumbootCloggeroo
Along with Rock And Roll Animal I would also recommend you check out Lou Reed Live, it has more songs from the Rock And Roll Animal concert.

What would be the proper sequence if you made these two albums one album?

Date: June 7, 2012 19:44

JohnnyBGoode
GumbootCloggeroo

Between those two albums, the whole concert of that show is officially released. Here was the order of the concert and how I have a playlist set up in iTunes:

1. Intro/Sweet Jane
2. How Do You Think It Feels
3. Caroline Says I
4. I'm Waiting For The Man
5. Lady Day
6. Heroin
7. Vicious
8. Satellite Of Love
9. Walk On The Wild Side
10. Oh, Jim
11. Sad Song
12. White Light/White Heat
13. Rock & Roll

Having heard those albums so many times separately, it is alot of fun to hear it as one and pretend I'm at the show. I will say, I find Rock And Roll Animal to be far superior. Maybe its the mixing, maybe they got it right with the song choices, but I just think that disc is so much stronger. Lou Reed Live is good, and especially to complete the set, but that album just never had the "umph" I was looking for. Never shot right through me like Animal does. I would say listen to Rock And Roll Animal on its own and drink that all in. Then hear the other one and in the concert sequence order. Good call on GumbootCloggeroo for pointing out Lou Reed Live. It is very good and a great companion, I just never loved it nearly as much as Animal despite the fact that its the same show.

Date: June 7, 2012 19:50

A couple of years ago most of Lou Reed's solo albums was reissued in vinyl replica CD boxes. Cheap and good way to start with Lou Reed discography.

[www.amazon.com]

Date: June 7, 2012 20:00

JohnnyBGoode
GumbootCloggeroo

For some reason Rock and Roll Animal and Lou Reed Live were mixed differently, despite coming from the same concert. On Lou Reed Live, guitarist Dick Wagner is on the left and guitarist Steve Hunter is on the right. On the other album they've been reversed. You'll have to flip your headphones around if you care about that kind of thing smiling smiley

Posted by: stewedandkeefed ()
Date: June 7, 2012 20:03

Many of the 60s survivors sucked in the 80s particularly Neil and Bob. Lou had a pretty good decade. The Blue Mask, Legendary Hearts and New Sensations are all very good records. He closed the decade with New York - to me his best record.

Date: June 7, 2012 20:07

stewedandkeefed
Many of the 60s survivors sucked in the 80s particularly Neil and Bob. Lou had a pretty good decade. The Blue Mask, Legendary Hearts and New Sensations are all very good records. He closed the decade with New York - to me his best record.
Agreed. The 80s really sucked for alot of people I enjoy but Lou somehow stayed pretty consistent. I guess because he was always doing his own weird thing and that worked out alright for him and his fans. I agree, New York is a fantastic album, and while his 80s album are pretty good, I would say New York was his big comeback to just being alittle mainstream. One major complaint I had about last night's set was no Dirty Blvd. That would have killed me had I been there just because thats become one of my favorites of his and seemed like it would be a definite inclusion. You can never tell with Lou!

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: June 7, 2012 20:16

Don't forget Songs For Drella and The Blue Mask. Not good starters, but great nontheless. Also check out American Poet. It's a live album, and it's better than Rock 'n Roll Animal IMO. Oh and get the Transformer cd with the extra tracks. He does a great version of Hangin' Round with just an acoustic. I'll also see him live for the first time on this tour. June 18th in Copenhagen baby. @#$%& yeah. And 12 days later it's Paul McCartney in Horsens. Can't wait.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: millerman60 ()
Date: June 7, 2012 23:51

I saw Lou during a period noone has mentioned yet,'78 & '79,the Street Hassle, Take No Prisoners,Bells period.Street Hassle and the live Take No Prisoners are must haves.

Date: June 8, 2012 00:12

Any Lou album from 70's to '83's "Legendary Hearts" is tops. No one has mentioned "Coney Island Baby" or "Rockn Roll Heart"?
I got to put in a word for "Sally cant dance" too. besides "Metal Machine" the Lou album that gets slagged a lot. Lou himself says he cant even remember anything of this album's recording or existence. has some serious duds on there, but the high points are so good it makes up for it for me.

saw him in during the "Take No Prisoner" shows too, LOL at Bottom Line. Was like comedians night.

Date: June 8, 2012 01:52

Yes. Those periods mentioned fell under the "experimental years" I was talking about. Great as you have all set, but just for asking where to start, I didn't think those would work. I feel like those albums almost require you to be a Lou fan already before hearing them or they just sound stupid. But yes, Street Hassle is amazing, and my dad and I are one of the few that love Take No Prisoners. Its hilarious, but the music is also great. Its a completely different take on a live album and I think its fantastic. Lou has said thats his favorite live album, by the way. Several other good albums mentioned also, Coney Island Baby, Sally Can't Dance, The Bell. I just haven't listened to those in a long long time and remember them not being as consistent.

Date: June 8, 2012 02:30

RollingFreak, though I don't understand everything Lou Reed is talking about on Take No Prisoners (English is not my first language) I always loved this album for its unique atmosphere - if it makes sense. Plus it's really good music and excellent recording for a concert. I prefer it over Rock n Roll Animal.

Another favorite of mine is Animal Serenade. Great renditions by Lou Reed and his band of his classics.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: June 8, 2012 03:11

Oh yeah and Coney Island Baby is great too.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Floorbird ()
Date: June 8, 2012 03:52

Why not start with the Velvet Underground.

Posted by: GrandToad ()
Date: June 8, 2012 04:20

stewedandkeefed

New York is a masterpiece. I saw him on that tour. One of the best concerts I ever saw.

As for Velvet Underground 1969: The Velvet Underground Live is a really good record.

Date: June 8, 2012 04:53

I know this might be a silly question, but forget the music what are everyone's thoughts on Lulu lyrically? I am listening to "The Kids" from Berlin. My neighbors are going to love this! grinning smiley

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: June 8, 2012 05:46

Absolutely start with any of the four original Velvet Underground records plus "VU" and "Live '69". Lou's solo career's highs are just as good but there are some head scratchers. For me any solo LP through New York is good to great (save "Metal Machine Music" and probably "Sally Can't Dance" and "Rock and Roll Heart" which have some good cuts). Everyone seems to love "Rock an Roll Animal" but I really dig the versions of his "Berlin" songs from those shows. And I think it is very cool he is doing "Street Hassle", "Think it Over" and "Sad Song" -- three of my very favorite Lou tracks!

Posted by: rocker1 ()
Date: June 8, 2012 09:08

Dirty Blvd. is one of those interesting songs that sounds great when the guitars are isolated without vocals, and also when the vocals are isolated without the guitars! And yes, it also sounds great when they're all in there together, too.

And Mick pinched Heroin to write Stray Cat, or so he said later!

Lou did have right it in this respect, though: "Nothing beats two guitars, bass, and drums."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-06-08 09:10 by rocker1.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1931
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home