Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: email from new job HR department "Please allow me to introduce myself..."
Posted by: swiss ()
Date: April 1, 2015 04:00

Most of my friends in real life wouldn't appreciate this, but thought maybe a couple of people here might.

I was just offered a new job. The man who will be my boss said I would hear from HR. Sure enough, an email arrived

Subject: Please allow me to introduce myself...

I did a double-take at the sender before opening. But clearly it was from this HR Dept.

The HR woman's next words were "my name is _____ and I'm writing to provide you with information about our benefits package."

The employer is a large San Francisco arts institution--pretty formal, by and large--and not at all "Stonesy" ha ha! I am quite sure this woman wasn't making a reference to SFTD.

This is an example of something that---for us---there's no way we could hear someone utter a phrase like that out of a Stones context. At least I couldn't.

What about you? would you think of Sympathy for the Devil and then have to work your brain to it simply being an introduction? Or would you first perceive it merely as an introduction and THEN chuckle that it's the first lined of SFTD?

[And I refuse to take this as a harbinger of it being a potentially harrowing place to work spinning smiley sticking its tongue out ]

- swiss

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-01 04:01 by swiss.

Re: OT: email from new job HR department "Please allow me to introduce myself..."
Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: April 1, 2015 04:37

Congratulations swiss! Ask for more money!

It sounds like this might be a sign, I mean what are the chances of a Stones fan getting a letter like that. I would take it as a positive one but you know in your heart and mind what the sign means, if anything. As you know, it's a great city to work in if the money's right and a poor one if it isn't. At least you can choose from the best eateries every day at lunch! Fog City Diner rocks! Good luck.

peace

Re: OT: email from new job HR department "Please allow me to introduce myself..."
Posted by: SharksWillCry ()
Date: April 1, 2015 04:41

"Please allow myself to introduce ... myself." --Austin Powers

Date: April 1, 2015 05:10

Naturalust
Congratulations swiss! Ask for more money!

It sounds like this might be a sign, I mean what are the chances of a Stones fan getting a letter like that. I would take it as a positive one but you know in your heart and mind what the sign means, if anything. As you know, it's a great city to work in if the money's right and a poor one if it isn't. At least you can choose from the best eateries every day at lunch! Fog City Diner rocks! Good luck.

peace

Thanks, Naturalust - wish you were still in the environs so we could down a cuppa joe at Fog City Diner. The money isn't the draw. I turned down a position with a big ol' tech company paying 2+ times what this SF institution is offering because the SF job is so cool (and the tech job would have been soul-crushing and mind-numbing--and I'd have been commuting to Silicon Valley upwards of 40 hours/month--whereas this job I will stroll to).

I just thought it was funny to see Subject: "Please Allow Me to Introduce Myself" - I will have to find this HR person when I start and see whether she is a secret Stones' fan.
- swiss

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-01 11:25 by swiss.

Date: April 1, 2015 05:12

SharksWillCry
"Please allow myself to introduce ... myself." --Austin Powers

"My name is Richie Cunningham" - haha!

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: April 1, 2015 07:24

Well, did you email back a "Pleased to meet you"??

Date: April 1, 2015 08:26

DaveG
Well, did you email back a "Pleased to meet you"??

I haven't responded yet -- I'm TOTALLY going to! thank you smiling smiley

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: April 1, 2015 10:38

The line isn't original; it does stem from The Master & Margerita, as the devil states "Permit me to introduce myself"

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: April 1, 2015 10:44

Right, SftD is inspired by Bulgakov. But swiss is talking about the use of the exact line from SftD.
Not something similar. Word for word. The question seems to be whether the person using it is cognizant of who s/he's quoting.
Why not, I say. Swiss is a Stones fan applying for a job at this place, so it's clearly not an outlandish place for a Stones fan to work. :E

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-01 10:57 by with sssoul.

Date: April 1, 2015 11:09

But did Swiss put in her CV that she has been around for a long, long year and stole many a man's soul and faith?

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: April 1, 2015 16:15

Congratulations swiss, the new job sounds perfect for you. smiling smiley

I think all of us fan freaks have had that experience...stones lines that jump out at you or float through your consciousness in regular conversations. I've had to stop myself from sprouting song lines, it's sorta like a Pavlovian thing, hard to control. I once yelled at one of my students who was being a brat, "well, you can't always get what you want!" Of course, I had to follow it up with a little sing-song..."but if you try sometime..." They all looked at me like I was nuts. I guess most 12 year old's don't get it. grinning smiley

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 1, 2015 16:22

Manofwealthandtaste
But did Swiss put in her CV that she has been around for a long, long year and stole many a man's soul and faith?

....or that she likes to travel, places as varied as St. Petersburg (Florida) and likes to shop at Bombay Company?

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: April 1, 2015 17:05

Looks like a nice job smiling smiley

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1494
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home