Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Hunting for Prince's Vault (BBC Radio)
Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: March 23, 2015 15:05

Stones fans with an interest in what lies in the vaults might find this recent BBC Radio documentary on Prince a little surprising:

Link to BBC website

Factoids:

1. If Prince died today, he has enough unreleased material in his vault to release a new album every year for the next 100 years.
2. An ex manager said that Prince has approximately 2000 unreleased songs.
3. He has apparently recorded every live show since the late 70s and has enough live material for a huge CD box set containing multiple live shows from every stage of his career.
4. Prince has set himself the goal of writing one new song every day.

Makes the Stones vaults look somewhat bare by comparison!!

Re: OT: Hunting for Prince's Vault (BBC Radio)
Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: March 23, 2015 15:28

1. Are these 100 albums worth of songs ANY GOOD? if so, why aren't they out,?
2. See 1
3. Seems obvious. If he's recorded every show in last 4 decades or so he WOULD have a lot of shows to release. As would...I don't know... Any artist that has recorded over 4 decades of shows...
4. See 1 and 2. I could write a song a day. Easy. None would be any good, but hey, that's a goal!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 23, 2015 16:26

bitusa2012
2. See 1
3. Seems obvious. If he's recorded every show in last 4 decades or so he WOULD have a lot of shows to release. As would...I don't know... Any artist that has recorded over 4 decades of shows...
4. See 1 and 2. I could write a song a day. Easy. None would be any good, but hey, that's a goal!

Hey if even 10% is any good, which I believe because Prince can write, we're at 200 songs. Even if only 5% were any good your at 100 songs.

I haven't heard any of your songs bitusa, but don't be down on yourself, you may have some gold in there!

Posted by: Dreamer ()
Date: March 23, 2015 16:34

treaclefingers
bitusa2012
2. See 1

Hey if even 10% is any good, which I believe because Prince can write, we're at 200 songs. Even if only 5% were any good your at 100 songs.

I haven't heard any of your songs bitusa, but don't be down on yourself, you may have some gold in there!

grinning smiley

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: March 23, 2015 16:34

Unfortunately so much of Prince's post mid-93 output is impenetrable funk that while possibly sounding good in a sweaty nightclub does not make for repeated listening on albums. If he invested all that amazing energy in refining and editing his music he'd still be deemed the greatest pop star since Bowie.

Date: March 23, 2015 16:39

Silver Dagger
Unfortunately so much of Prince's post mid-93 output is impenetrable funk that while possibly sounding good in a sweaty nightclub does not make for repeated listening on albums. If he invested all that amazing energy in refining and editing his music he'd still be deemed the greatest pop star since Bowie.

you may be on to something...maybe he needs a collaborator or producer that can sift through all that material.

Like on the last few stones albums, editing was missing.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: March 23, 2015 16:47

Jimmy Page is desperately searching for outtakes to slam into the Presence Deluxe Package...perhaps Prince wouldn't mind obliging?

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: March 23, 2015 17:07

bitusa2012
2. See 1

Having a bad day?

He's not sentimental and given his output, he may have lost track as to what is in the vault. This material won't be released while he's alive. He's under no obligation to release any of it.

But I think the point is that Prince is highly unusual in terms of the volume of material he produces but doesn't release. He is apparently constantly writing. The man is no doubt seriously gifted.

I don't think anyone was claiming that each and every song in his vault was another Purple Rain. No doubt some of the material will not be commercially releasable.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-23 17:27 by Father Ted.

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: March 23, 2015 20:28

Probably not very good stuff, considering it's now 20 years since his last great record.

And if he doesn't use old great stuff for new albums, he's too arrogant.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: March 23, 2015 20:41

The problem with all that recorded material is that Prince himself doesn't have time in his lifetime to listen back to it all and apply his own artistic values to determine what should be released. Most of it will sit in that vault till no one cares about who Prince was. Yes he's talented and prolific but I don't see a Robert Johnson type enthusiasm for finding his hidden gems ever happening. There's just too much other media out there to digest these days.....

peace

Posted by: RomanCandle ()
Date: March 23, 2015 20:43

Love the Love Symbol Album and Art Official Age, to be honest. Cheesy but sexy, you know. When it comes to ballads, HE KNOWS HIS SHIT. Can't stop listening to Clouds, This Could Be Us, U Know...

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 23, 2015 21:46

For early recordings featuring a young Prince check out
the recent Numero release Purple Snow >>>>>>>>>>>>>> [www.numerogroup.com]

Purple Snow - Forecasting the Minneapolis Sound - Numero 050

ROCKMAN

Date: March 23, 2015 23:36

Munichhilton
Jimmy Page is desperately searching for outtakes to slam into the Presence Deluxe Package...perhaps Prince wouldn't mind obliging?

I'd think for the deluxe package on that album all they'd have to do is remove 2 or 3 songs.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: March 24, 2015 05:10

I really liked the 3rd Eye Girl cd. It rocked!smoking smiley

Date: March 24, 2015 12:02

crholmstrom

I got to admit: I also like that one.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: March 24, 2015 15:35

He could follow Dylans example.
Let his Management team and technicians do all the work. The Bootleg series...up to no 10 at the moment,has been generally praised and there is still plenty of material left to go through. Then it will be DVD releases.
Bob may have the final decision on content etc but his actual input will be slight.

Date: March 24, 2015 15:47

treaclefingers
Munichhilton

I'd think for the deluxe package on that album all they'd have to do is remove 2 or 3 songs.

While you may be onto something Jimmy's not having it...its a bitch coming up with 3 discs of 'content'...

Date: March 24, 2015 15:51

Munichhilton
treaclefingers
Munichhilton

While you may be onto something Jimmy's not having it...its a bitch coming up with 3 discs of 'content'...

Maybe one disc could feature Jimmy doing an 'audio book' reading of Lord of the Rings? That's actually probably 2 discs right there!

Throw in him doing the Hobbit as a bonus.

Date: March 24, 2015 16:41

treaclefingers
Munichhilton
treaclefingers
Munichhilton

Maybe one disc could feature Jimmy doing an 'audio book' reading of Lord of the Rings? That's actually probably 2 discs right there!

Easy for you to say...Jimmy is half the reader he was back in his 70s heyday...he's really lost a lot of speed and technique...

Date: March 24, 2015 19:07

Munichhilton
treaclefingers
Munichhilton
treaclefingers
Munichhilton

Easy for you to say...Jimmy is half the reader he was back in his 70s heyday...he's really lost a lot of speed and technique...

That's what she said.

Date: March 25, 2015 20:45

You can now download Judith Hills album for free.
The album is produced by Prince.

Posted by: RomanCandle ()
Date: March 26, 2015 20:40

BowieStone
crholmstrom

I got to admit: I also like that one.

Everyone keeps saying that Hannah can't sing for shit but she has a smooth voice...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2061
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home