Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Anaheim shoe concert
Posted by: MrHappy ()
Date: November 29, 2014 21:32

Just ran across this story by accident - The Stones show in Anaheim in 1978 when the stage was littered with shoes after Mick, after sandals were tossed on stage, suggested everyone toss their shoes. Great picture of Mick standing in a sea of footwear.

Re: Anaheim shoe concert
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 29, 2014 21:50

Yep!!! that show had sole ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Rank Stranger ()
Date: November 29, 2014 21:57

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: November 30, 2014 00:21

I defer to the audio just below. I put here the transcript from memory. More exact below.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-30 00:38 by Title5Take1.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: November 30, 2014 00:31

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 30, 2014 18:28

Mick looks like such a heel.

Date: November 30, 2014 18:57

I heard about this concert from one of the edgier kids at school before I discovered the Stones. This edgier kid who saw it—who was probably going to Stones concerts at age two—told me about the shoe throwing. I said, "That sounds crazy." It later pained me after I became a Stones fan that that concert was just up the freeway but I just hadn't discovered the Stones yet and was a kid kind of young to be initiating such an outing. But I coulda seen it. Damn.

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: November 30, 2014 21:35

I was at this show as well. There was this pseudo-punk vibe going on in the audience. Things were being periodically tossed on stage the whole show. I was impressed with Jagger's reflexes when he dodged a frisbee aimed right at his head and he did not miss a beat. Finally, he got tired of it. To get it over with he invited the shoe toss. It was the first time I had seen the band since '73. It was a fun show, but something was lost in the large stadium extravaganza. The band's posturing felt harmless.

Date: November 30, 2014 23:02

A woman told me about the above type behavior at what I thought was one of the L.A. shows in 1981 at the Coliseum. But maybe she meant this Anaheim show. (A So. Cal concert, and I maybe pictured the wrong tour.) Whatever the show, she said people kept throwing stuff at Mick, and finally he told the crowd, "If you don't stop, we'll end the show right now." But people kept throwing stuff. And the Stones kept playing. She was really annoyed at the people throwing stuff. Anyway, the post above makes me not as sorry I missed that Anaheim show. Although in the audio interview above Mick obviously found the shoes amusing.

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: November 30, 2014 23:49

My friend standing next to me got hit by a tennis shoe.

Posted by: georgeV ()
Date: December 1, 2014 07:54

I was there and don't think he ever threatened to stop the show. People were throwing sandals and shoes at the stage, at one point Mick said 'we've got enough shoes, we don't need any more" but the shoes kept coming through the next song and he said "Now I want all your shoes". The stage got completely covered in every type of shoe, sandal, boot you could possibly imagine. They had to take a short break to clear the stage after.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: December 1, 2014 10:30

That show must've had a lot of toe jams.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 1, 2014 15:42

ab
That show must've had a lot of toe jams.

I guess in that particular case MJ would have 'had that much jam'.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: December 1, 2014 22:59

Did they play Toern and Frayed?

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: December 1, 2014 23:17

Best foot forward.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: December 2, 2014 01:07

Rockman
Yep!!! that show had sole ....

It was alright for the well-heeled. Especially when that big old tongue came out.

Posted by: likecats ()
Date: December 2, 2014 01:55

georgeV
I was there and don't think he ever threatened to stop the show. People were throwing sandals and shoes at the stage, at one point Mick said 'we've got enough shoes, we don't need any more" but the shoes kept coming through the next song and he said "Now I want all your shoes". The stage got completely covered in every type of shoe, sandal, boot you could possibly imagine. They had to take a short break to clear the stage after.

I was there too and I remember Mick saying "All right, I want all your shoes, then" or something like that. He didn't seem annoyed by it. I didn't relinquish my shoes but one of my friends threw his rolled up socks. This was after sitting out in the heat for hours and I'm sure they were ripe. I think they bounced off of Bill's bass.

Posted by: Long John Stoner ()
Date: December 2, 2014 04:42

This was my first Stones show. Etta James opened, Peter Tosh was next, then the Outlaws, then the Stones. I was 20 years old. I wondered if it was going to be my last if they were all like this. The next Stones shows I saw were at the L.A. Coliseum in '81 when Prince got booed off both days. Never a dull moment.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: December 2, 2014 08:18

I was there...kept my shoes on though.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2241
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home