Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: new david bowie song to be featured on new hits compilation
Date: September 10, 2014 04:59

here is the press release

[www.davidbowie.com]

here is the tracklisting for the 3 cd version

DAVID BOWIE - NOTHING HAS CHANGED: TRACKLIST

3CD DELUXE EDITION/DIGITAL DOWNLOAD

CD 1:

Sue (or In A Season Of Crime) (7.40)

Where Are We Now? (4.09)

Love Is Lost (Hello Steve Reich Mix by James Murphy for the DFA Edit) (4.07)

The Stars (Are Out Tonight) (3.57)

New Killer Star (radio edit) (3.42)

Everyone Says ‘Hi’ (edit) (3.29)

Slow Burn (radio edit) (3.55)

Let Me Sleep Beside You (3.14)

Your Turn To Drive (4.44)

Shadow Man (4.48)

Seven (Marius De Vries mix) (4.12)

Survive (Marius De Vries mix) (4.18)

Thursday’s Child (radio edit) (4.25)

I’m Afraid Of Americans (V1) (clean edit) (4.30)

Little Wonder (edit) (3.40)

Hallo Spaceboy (PSB Remix) (with The Pet Shop Boys) (4.23)

Heart’s Filthy Lesson (radio edit) (3.32)

Strangers When We Meet (single version) (4.21)

CD 2:

Buddha Of Suburbia (4.24)

Jump They Say (radio edit) (3.53)

Time Will Crawl (MM remix) (4.18)

Absolute Beginners (single version) (5.35)

Dancing In The Street (with Mick Jagger) (3.20)

Loving The Alien (single remix) (4.45)

This Is Not America (with The Pat Metheny Group) (3.51)

Blue Jean (3.11)

Modern Love (single version) (3.56)

China Girl (single version) (4.15)

Let's Dance (single version) (4.08)

Fashion (single version) (3.25)

Scary Monsters (And Super Creeps) (single version) (3.32)

Ashes To Ashes (single version) (3.35)

Under Pressure (with Queen) (3.56)

Boys Keep Swinging (3.17)

‘Heroes’ (single version) (3.35)

Sound And Vision (3.03)

Golden Years (single version) (3.27)

Wild Is The Wind (2010 Harry Maslin Mix) (5.58)

CD 3:

Fame (4.14)

Young Americans (2007 Tony Visconti mix single edit) (3.13)

Diamond Dogs (5.56)

Rebel Rebel (4.28)

Sorrow (2.53)

Drive-In Saturday (4.29)

All The Young Dudes (3.08)

The Jean Genie (original single mix) (4.05)

Moonage Daydream (4.40)

Ziggy Stardust (3.12)

Starman (original single mix) (4.10)

Life On Mars? (2003 Ken Scott Mix) (3.49)

Oh! You Pretty Things (3.11)

Changes (3.33)

The Man Who Sold The World (3.56)

Space Oddity (5.12)

In The Heat Of The Morning (3.00)

Silly Boy Blue (3.54)

Can’t Help Thinking About Me (2.46)

You’ve Got A Habit Of Leaving (2.32)

Liza Jane (2.18)

can anyone who is a huge bowie fan tell me what albums these songs come from, if the remixes have been availble on cd before, etc?

Re: OT: new david bowie song to be featured on new hits compilation
Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: September 10, 2014 12:17

David the Merciless strikes again! I hope he puts out some new stuff again sometime. The Next Day keeps getting better with every listen. Just ahead of his time, as usual.

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: September 10, 2014 12:40

Rather underwhelmed by this to be honest. Almost a Stones strategy of repackaging yet another greatest hits package with a new song to boost sales. What would have been really exciting would be a career spanning album of remakes, (as per 'Toy'), with a new song or two. Incidentally the new track will be released as a single, (radio edit no doubt), with another new song - Tis A Pity She's A Whore - as a B side. So we are forced to buy the single for the B side, the album for the full version of the A side. The usual ploys to maximize sales that is the norm in this cynical industry. Bowie likes to be considered an artist first and foremost and claimed to be sick of the industry in his 10 year hiatus but here we go with the same old tricks. Like the Next Day Extra last year that was really substandard. However, I do agree with the above poster that the first Next Day release was a superb piece of work that has proved a real keeper, sounding better and better with time.

Date: September 10, 2014 12:49

rebelrebel
Rather underwhelmed by this to be honest. Almost a Stones strategy of repackaging yet another greatest hits package with a new song to boost sales. What would have been really exciting would be a career spanning album of remakes, (as per 'Toy'), with a new song or two. Incidentally the new track will be released as a single, (radio edit no doubt), with another new song - Tis A Pity She's A Whore - as a B side. So we are forced to buy the single for the B side, the album for the full version of the A side. The usual ploys to maximize sales that is the norm in this cynical industry. Bowie likes to be considered an artist first and foremost and claimed to be sick of the industry in his 10 year hiatus but here we go with the same old tricks. Like the Next Day Extra last year that was really substandard. However, I do agree with the above poster that the first Next Day release was a superb piece of work that has proved a real keeper, sounding better and better with time.

if you can get your hands on the single be happy. you notice its an exclusive for a certain day so chances are its limited. i will probably pick up this collection for the new song, some of the mixes i am missing and a few other tracks i don't have.

Posted by: RomanCandle ()
Date: September 10, 2014 13:08

all I want is a new ALBUM. cool smiley

Date: September 10, 2014 13:26

what i don't get is why some key songs are missing? do we really need 3 songs from outside and 3 from hours?

where are any of these key songs/hit singles?
never get old
tonight
never let me down
cat people
tvc15
suffragette city
the laughing gnome
john i'm only dancing
DJ

what about some of his other non album singles or soundtrack songs?
rebel never gets old
real cool world
i can't read (1997 version)
without you i'm nothing
alabama song
crystal japan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-09-10 13:26 by keefriffhard4life.

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: September 10, 2014 15:20

I would say it's a rather fine compilation and a great overview of a carrer only the fewest could have dreamt of.
You can't please everybody with these type of collections. The mission must be to include something for everybody.

The song I am missing on this collection is Station To Station. You can't please everyone.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: September 10, 2014 16:08

keefriffhard4life

can anyone who is a huge bowie fan tell me what albums these songs come from, if the remixes have been availble on cd before, etc?

Track list is actually in reversed chronological order (2-CD version track list is in chronological order though!) and seems to include at least one track from every Bowie's studio album.

I think that most of the tracks have been available on CD for a while - including remixes. The only novelty on CD is the new track and "You Turn To Drive" with "Let Me Sleep Beside You" from the Toy sessions.

Strange choice to include so many remixes or single edits... Also I wish they included more uncompiled tracks (Planet of Dreams, I Can't Read, She Can Do That, Nature Boy, Safe, Wood Jackson, Fun...)

Good review of the track list : [www.superdeluxeedition.com]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2014-09-10 16:29 by kowalski.

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: September 10, 2014 18:25

Blueranger
I would say it's a rather fine compilation and a great overview of a carrer only the fewest could have dreamt of.
You can't please everybody with these type of collections. The mission must be to include something for everybody.

The song I am missing on this collection is Station To Station. You can't please everyone.

You're right, it's a decent enough retrospective. I guess I just felt let down on first reading this listing having read in the press last night that it would contain "many rare tracks". I really thought this would be a great opportunity to put out 'Toy' along with a couple of newer tracks. Sort of musical bookends representing both ends of his career without all the stuff in the middle that we've already got. Anyway, it is what it is and I'll no doubt buy it but it's a wasted opportunity in my view.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: September 11, 2014 08:55

Seems like an excuse to ride his recent release with a greatest hits package, and seems totally unnecessary. He has more than enough greatest hits compilations.

Date: September 11, 2014 09:50

whitem8
Seems like an excuse to ride his recent release with a greatest hits package, and seems totally unnecessary. He has more than enough greatest hits compilations.

he actually doesn't have a hits collection released with his permission that starts that early in his career and covers up until 2014.

i'm picking it up for roughly 9 tracks i don't have, most of them alt. mixes

Date: September 13, 2014 02:44

Date: September 13, 2014 05:47

Well a lot of those alt mixes were released on the box set of and deluxe version of BTWN.
For thirty five dollars you can get this:
[www.amazon.com]

Good collection.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: September 13, 2014 08:51

Interesting to note the inclusion of Liza Jane, his debut single from 1964.

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: September 13, 2014 10:17

Blueranger

I'm missing Days among somme others but well said. You can't please everyone.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-09-13 12:17 by leteyer.

Posted by: thegroove ()
Date: September 19, 2014 17:40

Tuesday Sept.23 is David Bowie Day in Chicago.An exhibit entitled "David Bowie Is"opens that day to run thru Jan.4 at the Museum of Contemporary Art.The show will feature photography film video fashion and set designs from Bowies career.A documentary film about the exhibit will be screened in select theaters on Tuesday and Wednesday September 23 and 24.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 19, 2014 17:59

kowalski
Strange choice to include so many remixes or single edits...

I'm guessing those are the versions people might be most familiar with from hearing them on the radio and MTV etc...

Date: September 19, 2014 22:30

GasLightStreet
kowalski
Strange choice to include so many remixes or single edits...

I'm guessing those are the versions people might be most familiar with from hearing them on the radio and MTV etc...

most of them are. a few of them are a little rare

Date: September 20, 2014 04:01

Better news here about a new album coming out:

[www.cnn.com]

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: September 20, 2014 04:15

Its completely selfish, but honestly I don't really care about new music. Really, I just want a tour. A live show even. I want something David Bowie Live. Its a dream to see him and I know he's old, but its been 10 years and there really is a whole generation of people that haven't experienced it ever, or haven't experienced in a while.

Do the compilations, do the new album, but seriously consider a few live shows. Maybe one in London, one in NY, one in LA, etc. One in Berlin or something. It doesn't have to be much, but it just really would be something. And despite the fact that the Reality tour was pretty much flawlessly excellent, I think he deserves one last big bang. I feel like he's really afraid of live performances after such a long time, or just doesn't care anymore, and thats kind of sad.

Date: September 20, 2014 04:18

I don't think he is afraid of performing live. Bowie never has been afraid or shy about being out there...I just think it bores him at this point. He went out with a bang with the Reality tour, great band, amazing set lists, and a very energetically engaged Bowie. Then he had his heart issue, canceled the tour, and probably reflected a lot on touring and came to the conclusion, "what's the point?". I would love to see him do some shows, but doubt he would tour again. But who knows, he always seems to have something interesting up his sleeves.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: September 20, 2014 04:23

My only hope for some live shows is that you're right that he just pulls things out whenever he feels like it, so that always keeps me optimist. That just one day there will be the headline "David Bowie: 'Oh, I've just decided to do a few shows. I don't know why anyone thought I wouldn't.'"

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 20, 2014 19:35

Well whatever. THE NEXT DAY is a pretty damn good LP.

Date: October 8, 2014 19:56

3 different artworks for the new compilation :

2-LP artwork

2-CD artwork

3-CD artwork

[www.digitalspy.co.uk]

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: October 8, 2014 23:21

I'll be getting the 3cd set, but I'm also going to be acquiring a Borsalino hat, like Bowie's in the second photo, and that's to go with a Crombie coat that I have my eye on.

Date: October 9, 2014 00:42

Date: October 13, 2014 01:34

New song :

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: October 13, 2014 02:03

At age 66 David Bowie is a spring chicken compared to Mick and Keith. So yes, he could go out on a small scale tour. The Who are out there too. Bowie is coming off as the slacker.

Date: October 13, 2014 04:05

triceratops
At age 66 David Bowie is a spring chicken compared to Mick and Keith. So yes, he could go out on a small scale tour. The Who are out there too. Bowie is coming off as the slacker.

he has heart issues

Date: October 13, 2014 04:07

His health is fine now. His heart issues have been treated and he is very healthy. He is in no competition with anyone, and seems at peace with what he wants to do on his terms. If he does some live shows, great! But I doubt he would ever tour again. He has a family he loves dearly and seems quite content to blow our minds from the studio.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1331
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home