Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Any thoughts on Kenny Wayne Shepherd?
Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: October 16, 2014 23:05

When did you first discover KWS?

Favorite gigs and records?

Re: OT: Any thoughts on Kenny Wayne Shepherd?
Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: October 16, 2014 23:44

Check out the How I Go cd from 2011. It's great. Also the new one, Goin Home is pretty good too.

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: October 16, 2014 23:50

I love his new album.
Great music.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: October 16, 2014 23:53

he has a very confident style. physical, and there's joy in his playing.

Ive been thinking a lot on the attempts at 'Voodoo Chile (Slight Return)' that he has done, and others, especially Stevie Ray.

they get the sound of Jimi somewhat but they are playing something that is really a sonic painting, full of emotional color and images of otherworldly beings that have chosen Jimi Hendrix to portray them. really don't see/ hear that in the versions KWS has put forth, but they are excellent tributes.

at around 5.30 in this one there is a very heartfelt passage of playing to Jimi..

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: October 17, 2014 00:04

Yeah, loved the lead tone he got on the Blue on Black tune! I like the way his style has developed and think he is a great guitarist.

The first I ever heard of him was when I was booked to do a gig with him in 1997, our band was the warm up band. I remember a few things about the gig:

1. His father was touring with him and was dogging him pretty hard and it was difficult for him to sneak off to smoke a joint. smoking smiley

2. His second guitar player (a shaved headed dude from Texas) was twice the guitar player Kenny was (at that time) and was showing him ALOT of stuff that later became his own.

3. He was playing through an old Fender Twin although he had some other Fender amps up front disguised as his main amps, some sort of sponsorship deal he was trying to promote. His twin had a pexiglass plate in front of the amp with the microphone between the speakers and the plate (in order to let the FOH mixer have more control of the sounds the audience was hearing.

4. It was one of the first gigs his new singer (Noah?) was playing with the band and the singer was scared shitless. He was an amazingly sweet man and it was nice to see him so concerned about how he would perform.

5. He talked a lot about Stevie Ray Vaughn as did his father who was obviously a personal friend of the man.

peace

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1653
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home