Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Squeeze appreciation thread
Posted by: swiss ()
Date: September 9, 2014 23:00

hi-

I searched for such a thread but if it's in the archive I couldn't locate it.

I loved Squeeze for a while there -- Argy Bargy is a near perfect album. They were so talented.
Musically interesting, fun, lyrically ingenious, great party music - fantastic to dance to - and
just cool to listen to back in the day with friends.

I forget about Squeeze and then rediscover. Why do you think they weren't bigger? Were you ever
into them? Here's all of Argy Bargy.

-swiss

Re: OT: Squeeze appreciation thread
Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: September 9, 2014 23:35

Love them! The first record of theirs I bought was 45s And Under. Of course, their big hit was Tempted, with the help of Paul Carrack, but Black Coffee In Bed proves that they could write great pop tunes on their own--Glenn Tilbrook has quite the McCartney-esque melodic pop voice as well, I think.

Posted by: TeaAtThree ()
Date: September 10, 2014 04:56

I knew NOTHING about them until college, when my roommate was a huge fan -- of Squeeze and Elvis Costello.

Always thought Difford and Tillbrook were songwriters extraordinaire. No idea why they weren't bigger.

Were they too British?

T@3

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: September 10, 2014 05:39

Argybargy is one of the best pop/rock records ever. East Side Story is pretty good too. But for a surpise check out Cosi Fan Tutti Frutti. Very differemt sound, and almost a concept album. One of my favorites.

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-09-10 05:41 by 71Tele.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: September 10, 2014 13:54

love Squeeze!!!

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: September 10, 2014 14:33

Lots of good songs...Another nail for my heart

Posted by: cbtaco19 ()
Date: September 10, 2014 19:31

Tempted is absolutely timeless, not dated in any way.

Does anybody remember the solo album Paul Carrack did right after Squeeze called Suburban Voodoo? It was a Nick Lowe produced effort and the single. I Need You, got some MTV airplay at the time. It is in a similar slow-burn vein as Tempted and has always stuck with me as a really good song.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: September 10, 2014 22:58

cbtaco19
Tempted is absolutely timeless, not dated in any way.

Does anybody remember the solo album Paul Carrack did right after Squeeze called Suburban Voodoo? It was a Nick Lowe produced effort and the single. I Need You, got some MTV airplay at the time. It is in a similar slow-burn vein as Tempted and has always stuck with me as a really good song.

Tempted: Sung by Carrack, but still written by Tillbrook & Difford, the Lennon & McCartney of the New Wave era.

Posted by: spsimmons ()
Date: September 11, 2014 00:13

Black Coffee In Bed is an awesome song. One of my first memories of MTV was seeing that video. I also like Hourglass. Pretty trippy video for that one.

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: September 11, 2014 09:52

Loved squeeze especially the black coffee in bed era. They were going to be the next biggest thing and maybe they should have. Glenn Tilbrook still tours.
To me "Tempted" was over played as they wrote many better tunes - just my
Opinion.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1741
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home