Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Mick Jagger jamming with Zappa, Beefheart and others
Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: September 8, 2014 13:57

Interesting story here from album designer Cal Schenkel about Mick and Marianne who visited Frank Zappa at his Laurel Canyon home The Log Cabin.

Other cats around at the time included Captain Beefheart, members of The Who and Pamela Des Barres.

Here's what Cal remembers about the day.

It turns out Frank was trying to put together this Rock ‘n’ Roll Circus thing, which The Stones later put together without him. I don’t know how many Rolling Stones were there at the time, but Mick Jagger certainly was, as were The Who and Marianne Faithfull. She was so ripped she was drooling - but what a babe - I was star struck! It was funny because Jagger really didn’t mean a whole lot to me at that point. I’d played all their tunes in various bands. To me he really wasn’t a signer - he was a “star”. But when I actually met him, all I can remember thinking is, “How could you be a star? You’re too little!” ....I ended up in this jam session in a circle of people about six or seven feet apart and we’re playing Be-Bop-a-Lu-La”! Done was to my immediate left wearing his big madhatter hat and to his immediate left was Mick Jagger and right around the circle all these people were playing, Frank included. So I’m jamming with these guys almost too nervous to be able to move or breathe. I started to ease up after I noticed that Jagger seemed to be equally intimidated. Then we went into Muddy Waters’ “Rollin’ & Tumblin’” and a couple of blues things and that was it. It was such a strange experience - somehow just out of nowhere I’m down in Hollywood meeting Frank Zappa and this whole entourage of famous people like Jagger, Marianne Faithful [sic] and Pete Townshend. What an audition! There I was 19 years old and I’m very taken with these big important people.

Captain Beefheart and Mick Jagger 1968 copyright Cal Schenkel

More info on the Dangerous Minds website. [dangerousminds.net]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-09-08 13:59 by Silver Dagger.

Re: Mick Jagger jamming with Zappa, Beefheart and others
Posted by: Koen ()
Date: September 8, 2014 13:59

Looks familiar: [www.iorr.org] smoking smiley

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: September 9, 2014 11:07

I missed the previous thread, so am very happy to catch up on it now, as a huge Beefheart fan. smiling smiley

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: September 9, 2014 11:21

Aquamarine
I missed the previous thread, so am very happy to catch up on it now, as a huge Beefheart fan. smiling smiley

Yup, I guess I must have been on holiday when the first one went up.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1761
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home