Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

What think of this book "It's Only Rock 'n' Roll: Ultimate guide to the Rolling Stones"?
Posted by: swiss ()
Date: September 7, 2014 01:48

hi -- I just picked up a $5 copy of It's Only Rock 'n' Roll: Ultimate guide to the Rolling Stones
(by James Karnbach and Carol Bernson, Checkmark Books, 1997, 404pp.)

What do you think of this book? I know nothing about it.

thanks!
swiss

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-09-07 09:47 by swiss.

Re: What think of this book "It's Only Rock 'n' Roll: Ultimate guide to the Rolling Stones"?
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 7, 2014 02:18

swiss
hi -- I just picked up a $5 copy of It's Only Rock 'n' Roll: Ultimate guide to the Rolling Stones
(by James Karnbach and Carol Bernson, Checkmark Books, 1997, 404pp.)

What do you think of this book? I know nothing about it.

thanks!
swiss

I think for $5 you have a winner...haven't heard of it but I'm sure you'll find something of interest!

Re: What think of this book "It's Only Rock 'n' Roll: Ultimate guide to the Rolling Stones"?
Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: September 7, 2014 02:36

It's a useful book to have but there are errors in it, I seem to recall Karnbach saying it went to press before he was happy with it.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: September 7, 2014 09:59

Thanks! I got a discarded library copy in excellent condition - it looks like it will be a fun reference
book - tho hearing it's not totally accurate is kind of a bummer. Still, it'll be fun to see what it says
on various topics.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: September 7, 2014 12:26

"Not totally accurate" is an understatement.
Enjoy the photos but take *all* the information very well salted.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: September 7, 2014 12:33

I've got that, funnily enough, a bargain bin price too - yes, errors - the most noticeable are the 1975 setlists, right songs but wrong order from half way through the show, plus the same for the El Mocambo.........
it's well laid out though and so easy on the eye and brain..........

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-09-07 12:41 by EddieByword.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: September 7, 2014 14:48

I knew I'd seen it on these pages, this from "VideoJames" aka James Karnbach:

"I written a few books on the Stones but the book I'm talking about is titled "It's Only Rock and Roll" The Ultimate Recording Guide to the Rolling Stones.
I would not recommend this book though, when writing this book I had over 40 typed pages of corrections that had to be made before it was to go into print. The publishes said they had the corrections and were making the changes, well they didn't. Not only that some of their editors for the book company made their own changes without my notification that were horrendously wrong. One of which was I mention the Stones being in Baton Rouge, LA.(Louisiana) They changed it to Baton Rouge, Los Angles!!! They also had Mick Taylor listed in the band in the 80's or 90's I believe. I also did want the title, (because the book even with the corrections) wasn't the "Ultimate recording guide" by far. Also there was another book coming out with the same title but they seem not to care. I had some really great facts in the book but how could one believe them with all these other stupid errors."

[www.iorr.org]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1464
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home