Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Any love here for "Shop Around"?
Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: August 29, 2014 19:10

First single I ever bought..."Shop Around" by Smoky Robinson and the Miracles.

Re: OT: Any love here for "Shop Around"?
Posted by: Plink ()
Date: August 29, 2014 22:16

Mad love for Shop Around! I bought Smokey Robinson and the Miracles Greatest Hits cassette in the '80s and wore it out. What a brilliant songwriter and singer thumbs upthumbs upthumbs up

Posted by: vertigojoe ()
Date: August 30, 2014 08:28

Yes. My band plays it. Great track..

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: August 30, 2014 10:05

I really almost wish other folks--like the Stones, even--wouldn't sing Smokey Robinson songs, because nobody will ever improve on Smokey Robinson singing Smokey Robinson. cool smiley Loved Shop Around, we even had a little dance routine to it, in fact. *cough*

Date: August 30, 2014 10:14

Aquamarine
I really almost wish other folks--like the Stones, even--wouldn't sing Smokey Robinson songs, because nobody will ever improve on Smokey Robinson singing Smokey Robinson...

I understand what you're saying, and don't disagree, but I am glad the Stones did "Going to a Go Go" live, because that's what initially sparked my interest in Smokey and led me to explore more of his music smiling smiley

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: August 30, 2014 10:41

Plink
Aquamarine
I really almost wish other folks--like the Stones, even--wouldn't sing Smokey Robinson songs, because nobody will ever improve on Smokey Robinson singing Smokey Robinson...

I understand what you're saying, and don't disagree, but I am glad the Stones did "Going to a Go Go" live, because that's what initially sparked my interest in Smokey and led me to explore more of his music smiling smiley

Well, there you go, good point. Hence the "almost" in my statement, I guess!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 30, 2014 11:44

The first version of Shop Around released in late September 1960 was
a slower blues like number until some two weeks later in mid October
when Berry Gordy contacted Smokey and commandeered them all back into
the studio in the middle of the night to recut it as a more up-tempo number .... This second version went ta be Motown's first million seller

ROCKMAN

Date: August 30, 2014 12:24

Aquamarine
Plink
Aquamarine

Well, there you go, good point. Hence the "almost" in my statement, I guess!

Oops - didn’t catch the “almost” – must read more carefully next time! Now, please elaborate on this “little dance routine”...

Speaking of dancing, I love watching the Miracles’ cool moves cool smiley. Here they are in action performing Shop Around

This one is titled “Shop Around” by mistake – it’s actually great version of “You Really Got A Hold On Me. ** Note the cool knee bendy swivel moves @ 1:10**

Thanks for starting this thread, Stonesrule. I hadn’t listened to Smokey in a few years and my appreciation for him has been reignited!smiling smiley

Date: August 30, 2014 12:25

Rockman
The first version of Shop Around released in late September 1960 was
a slower blues like number until some two weeks later in mid October
when Berry Gordy contacted Smokey and commandeered them all back into
the studio in the middle of the night to recut it as a more up-tempo number .... This second version went ta be Motown's first million seller

Do you mean this one?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 30, 2014 12:39

....yeah you got it ....that's da one Plink ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: oxegen ()
Date: August 31, 2014 03:37

Best version for me was Emmylou Harris and the Hot Band at the Carlton Cinema, Dublin, in 1976, featuring a stunning solo from Mr. James Burton.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1563
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home