Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

the rolling stones in glasgow(scotland)
Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: July 12, 2014 21:04

would like to see this happen. wonder if the band have forgotten about this place.

i seen rumours of a planned visit of 3 gigs in london in 2015, not yet confirmed, and that would be great if true by why do they always miss glasgow now.

they did 2 gigs in glasgow in 2006, previous to that we have to go back to 2003 then 1990 and then back to the early 80,s.

poor show stones, we know you love your american audience and london audience but its not always possible to travel to london when you have young family.

its like living in a wasteland up here, we miss out on everything.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-12 21:07 by buttons67.

Re: the rolling stones in glasgow(scotland)
Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: July 12, 2014 21:07

buttons67
they did 2 gigs in glasgow in 2006, previous to that we have to go back to 1990 and then back to the early 80,s.

One gig in 2006. Two in 2003. And in 1999 they played Edinburgh.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-12 21:12 by erikjjf.

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: July 12, 2014 21:20

Can't see this happening,travelling to London from Scotland is not to much hassle and if you want to see the band then that's what you will probably have to do.

Nate

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: July 12, 2014 21:21

Nate
Can't see this happening.
Travelling to London from Scotland is not too much hassle and if you want to see the band then that's what you will probably have to do.

Nate

Posted by: johnh ()
Date: July 13, 2014 15:43

HI, maybe the opening of The Hydro could give them a large enough indoor venue. I was lucky enough to see them up here in all the years you mentioned....
john

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: July 13, 2014 19:46

Yep,

I'm a native Scot from Hamilton living in Oxfordshire. I saw the 1999 BtB show in Edinburgh and the 1st of the 2 nights at the SECC on Licks in 2003. They played Hamilton in 1964 but we await their return... winking smiley

They've hugely curtailed their touring, largely sticking to selected Capital Cities only in Europe though that hasn't included Edinburgh since 1999. I doubt we'll see them in Glasgow again. I met a fellow Hamiltonian at Hyde Park 1 last year. His Uncle ran my Uncle's local pub in Blantyre! Travel from Central Scotland to London is not difficult or expensive. I met several Scots at both Hyde Park Shows.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted by: OutOfTime ()
Date: July 13, 2014 20:05

1982 pre-Tour shows in Scotland theaters!!!

Date: July 13, 2014 20:36

OutOfTime

Yes indeed :-)

Aberdeen Capitol
Edinburgh Playhouse
Glasgow Apollow.

All small venues. Just after I moved south as a teenager

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted by: OutOfTime ()
Date: July 13, 2014 20:59

grzegorz67
OutOfTime

Aberdeen Capitol
Edinburgh Playhouse
Glasgow Apollow.

In retrospect classic shows although the setlists did not differ from the usual 1982 European Tour setlists.
I have a download bootleg called The Rose of Scotland if memory serves my well. Crowd singing!! Great. Gonna look it up tonight.
After the three shows in Scotland they did the 100 club in London as a warm up to 1982 Tour opening Rotterdam (MY FIRST SHOW of 35 till now...)thumbs upsmileys with beerthumbs up

Date: July 13, 2014 22:56

Ever been to a concert in Scotland by ANYONE? Believe me it's an experience! Invariably WILD!

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: July 14, 2014 13:44

OutOfTime
grzegorz67
OutOfTime

Aberdeen Capitol
Edinburgh Playhouse
Glasgow Apollow.

In retrospect classic shows although the setlists did not differ from the usual 1982 European Tour setlists.
I have a download bootleg called The Rose of Scotland if memory serves my well. Crowd singing!! Great. Gonna look it up tonight.
After the three shows in Scotland they did the 100 club in London as a warm up to 1982 Tour opening Rotterdam (MY FIRST SHOW of 35 till now...)thumbs upsmileys with beerthumbs up

The bootleg's called Flower of Scotland.

First saw them in Glasgow in 1976 and have been to all the Glasgow shows since (also Edinburgh in 1999). The two shows at the SECC in 2003 were particularly strong, I felt. The show at Hampden in 2006 was the weakest Stones gig I've ever attended.

The Hydro has a capacity of 13,000 which they would sell out very quickly. Ten minutes from my home - would love to see them there!

Date: July 14, 2014 15:08

I wasn't at that 2006 show but it was broadcast on BBC Radio 1 2 days later with 2 songs ommitted. I have a recording of it. It took place only a few months after Keith's fall and the consensus at the time was that Blondie Chaplin played a lot more than usual, sometimes off stage. It seems likley to be their last ever show on Scottish Soil which is a pity.

Proud that they played the Chantinghall Hotel in my native Hamilton in 1964. It burnt down in the late 70s to be replaced by a Housing Estate where my cousin now lives. I stay there whenever I go up.

Happily from the 3 shows I saw this Summer Keith appears to be back on formsmiling smiley so catch them if and wherever you can.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: July 14, 2014 16:53

They are waiting to perfrom in an independent Scotland.

Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: July 14, 2014 17:00

A wee show in Pittenweem, Fife would be a nice touch..............

'OK, I'll just drive you around.' Stu.
'I'm still working for Stu's band' Keith.

smileys with beer

Date: July 14, 2014 17:01

grzegorz67
I wasn't at that 2006 show but it was broadcast on BBC Radio 1 2 days later with 2 songs ommitted. I have a recording of it. It took place only a few months after Keith's fall and the consensus at the time was that Blondie Chaplin played a lot more than usual, sometimes off stage. It seems likley to be their last ever show on Scottish Soil which is a pity.

Proud that they played the Chantinghall Hotel in my native Hamilton in 1964. It burnt down in the late 70s to be replaced by a Housing Estate where my cousin now lives. I stay there whenever I go up.

Happily from the 3 shows I saw this Summer Keith appears to be back on formsmiling smiley so catch them if and wherever you can.

I grew up in Lanarkshire too. Just too young to see them in the Brian Jones years, but remember my mates' big brothers seeing all the big names. The Who in Auchinleck, anyone?

Date: July 14, 2014 17:03

71Tele
They are waiting to perfrom in an independent Scotland.

Would suit me nicely, but better not get too political here!

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: July 14, 2014 21:26

don't know about the Stones in Scotland, but I'm working on BluzDude in Scotland hopefully in 2015smileys with beer

Posted by: cooheid ()
Date: July 14, 2014 21:53

I was born and brought up in Auchinleck....missed the Who gig tho!

Date: July 15, 2014 13:19

A surprising number of bands played Auchinleck, Cooheid. I remember the older guys talking about it. I grew up near the Lanarkshire / Ayrshire border so Auchinleck was as close as Hamilton for them.

Date: July 15, 2014 14:31

winking smiley
cooheid
I was born and brought up in Auchinleck....missed the Who gig tho!

The Who in Auchinleck ! Now there's a thought !

Brilliant User Name by the way! Did you grow uo in or near a Dairy or Beef Farm by any chancewinking smiley ?

So The Who in Auchinleck & The Stones in Hamilton. Who'd've thunk it winking smiley ?

My mum, then 22 knew people who went to that gig at the Chantinghall Hotel - there was apparently a bit of crowd trouble at it. I'm told 20yo Keith walked in and said to the crowd, "Oh this is a nice room!"

Gregor

Posted by: johnh ()
Date: July 15, 2014 22:09

admittedly NOT the clearsest photo!!! a bit like my recollections
john

Date: July 16, 2014 14:39

The bloke in the next seat to me at SECC 1 in 2003 said he was at that show! Just imagine seeing a small venue Stones gig for £6.50...smiling bouncing smiley

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: July 17, 2014 00:11

maybe if scotland goes independened from uk, you have to travel to a foreign country to get the london gigs, funny....spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
greets from germany

Posted by: peters318 ()
Date: July 17, 2014 15:38

Saw them at the Apollo in 1976. Awesome. Peter

Vintagerock

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-17 15:39 by peters318.

Posted by: haimbarr ()
Date: July 17, 2014 23:06

I travelled from Israel to SECC 2 in 2003 for my first stones gig. Loved the place, loved the people, loved the show. But 6 weeks ago in Tel Aviv ahh that was anther dream come true. Now the fireworks in the sky are not synched with Satisfaction, alas...

Date: July 19, 2014 20:37

Entry in Massimo Bonanno's Rolling Stones Chronicle:

1964, May 19

"Riots in Hamilton, Scotland when police try to prevent 4,000 fans, many with forged tickets, from gatecrashing a Stones gig at the Chantinghall Hotel".

[www.dailyrecord.co.uk]

I actually met Mick Prater, the fan featured in this article and his wife in the queue for HP1 last year - they were fun. His Uncle owns and runs the pub my parents had their Wedding Reception in Blantyre in 1966. My Uncle still drinks there today. I don't know if Mick posts on here but if you do I'm the long lost Hamiltonian you met in the stramash prior to entry that day. I've emailed the article to my parents, both 72 and I know they knew people who went to that gig. They'll quite likely have known some of the people in the photos.

This link gives details of other riotous early Stones gigs in Scotland, as told by Mr William George Perks of Penge....

[www.thefreelibrary.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-19 21:02 by grzegorz67.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1887
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home