Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Stones should play Havana, Cuba
Posted by: sdstonesguy ()
Date: May 31, 2014 19:36

Now that would be an excited audience! Of course, the tickets would have to be gratis...

Re: Stones should play Havana, Cuba
Posted by: shattered ()
Date: May 31, 2014 19:52

The arena would be full of cigar smoke.

Date: May 31, 2014 20:18

I wonder if Raul would limit the setlist like China does. I'm guessing no...just a great rock show.

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: May 31, 2014 20:26

As long as they put Money, Brand New Car, Luxury, Black Limousine, and Everything Is Turning To Gold in the setlist, I'm in.

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: May 31, 2014 21:02

Speaking of Brand New Car, I wonder if auto parts are available there?

Posted by: bv ()
Date: May 31, 2014 21:05

Why would the Castro's care about the set list? Cuba is moving slowly into modern times - I don't know if that is good or bad for them - but I am sure Honky Tonk Women will be a big hit in Cuba. They do know how to dance and sing. They could play to a million, charge a peso or so for the show, and it would swing a lot. The missing link in the Stones tour list. They have done virtually everything except for Cuba, well still missing bits in Asia and Africa, but close to a full house now.

PS. By the way - DO NOT USE THIS THREAD FOR POLITICAL STATEMENTS. Everybody should know the IORR posting policy by now. No politics please.

Bjornulf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-31 21:09 by bv.

Date: May 31, 2014 21:09

It would indeed by cool, BV.
Plus it's a great place to visit.

Posted by: Wroclaw ()
Date: May 31, 2014 21:20

BV they hadnt dome Iceland havent they? think about the posters we are missing!

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: May 31, 2014 21:28

Havana sounds be awesome....

Do they ever have big time international acts play there?

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 31, 2014 21:40

Wouldn't the (very silly and hypocritical) Helms-Burton Act prevent the Stones to work again in the US if they played in Cuba?

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: May 31, 2014 22:11

Deleted

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-31 22:29 by Koen.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: May 31, 2014 22:12

All the rum - they're going to drink it!!!

Posted by: bv ()
Date: May 31, 2014 22:16

I know they have not played Iceland, but you know, to be honest, the population of Iceland is 330,000 i.e. 0,3 million people while the population of Cuba is 11 million people i.e. Cuba is 33 times bigger. People in Icenand can afford to travel to Norway, UK or other places, but people in Cuba can't travel that esasily. So the Stones should come there if they do a South America and Caribean areas tour...

Bjornulf

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: May 31, 2014 22:23

indian girl?

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: May 31, 2014 22:39

BTW, Fidel Castro and Mick Jagger have something in common. Fidel named his first revolutionary group "26th of July Movement". Mick's birthday...

Date: May 31, 2014 22:54

I have wondered about this for over 10 years now. Why not play Cuba unless it is some effort to avoid controversy. Sure, they wouldn't make any money, but it's not always about that (like club gigs). BV's got it, 1M or more audience could be had with incredible energy. Make it a DVD to work out the costs if need be (done that before...Copa).

Hit Cuba, Venezuela, Bolivia, Uruguay, Nicaragua, Ecuador, Jamaica & Haiti. I'd buy that poster.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: June 1, 2014 00:19

"They're fighting for Mr. Castro in the streets of Angola." The Stones aren't that stupid.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 1, 2014 02:01

I think it would be a great gesture for the people of Cuba, who are always forgotten in these political squabbles. Show some support for the real Salt of the Earth.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: June 1, 2014 02:59

Lots more could be said, but because of the Stones' precedent of not playing South Africa I'll just relate these numbers (from the University of Miami website): 1) Cuba has a 60% black population; 2) 80% of Cuba's political prisoners are black; 3) .08% of the members of Cuba's ruling government are black. Mick reads a lot, has a Nicaraguan connection, and Keith surely hears stories in Jamaica.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: June 1, 2014 03:43

They could do a cover of Havana Moon.

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: June 1, 2014 03:44

Love the stones to play cuba, had good times in cuba.

Date: June 1, 2014 06:06

Title5Take1
Lots more could be said, but because of the Stones' precedent of not playing South Africa I'll just relate these numbers (from the University of Miami website): 1) Cuba has a 60% black population; 2) 80% of Cuba's political prisoners are black; 3) .08% of the members of Cuba's ruling government are black. Mick reads a lot, has a Nicaraguan connection, and Keith surely hears stories in Jamaica.

They have a 0% illiteracy rate and is the only country on Earth without institutional racism per Human Rights Watch. Lot's more could be said...

Posted by: petewasbristol ()
Date: June 1, 2014 12:12

Would be a magical show for sure. I remember the Manic Street Preachers were one of (if the not THE) first international bands to play in Cuba. The documentary is fascinating, as is their encounter with Castro. Anyway, i'm going to Cuba next year, so it would be great if the Stones could time it just right cool smiley

Other places the Stones have never played include the Korean Peninsula, Thailand (doubt that's going to happen soon after this weeks news), Indonesia (although Mick has played solo) and Malaysia. Huge countries with big Stones fansbases waiting patiently for the next Asia tour in ten years time winking smiley

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 1, 2014 17:29

I think if the Stones did play there, the Cubans would be havana good time!

Date: June 1, 2014 17:50

Max'sKansasCity
Havana sounds be awesome....

Do they ever have big time international acts play there?

Rare, but not without precedent. Although this concert was free.

Posted by: Shantipole ()
Date: June 4, 2014 16:15

They should stay at the Hotel Ambos Mundos where Hemmingway lived. Very cool hotel.

Posted by: Limbostone ()
Date: June 4, 2014 16:41

I wonder if Cubans had any access to Stones music in the 60-ies and 70-ies, or a relevant opportunity to learn about the legacy in later years (like in eastern Europe after the iron curtain came down).
If people don't know the big hits, could a stadium be filled?

In 2012 my wife and I travelled about Cuba for the honeymoon and I can't recall hearing much music from outside the island. There was a band playing in our resort where we stayed for the last week, they did international rock anthems (and very well so). But you never really know how these things come into being - they might have been educated for touristic purposes rather than that they grew up with rock and roll (except from 50's cars winking smiley).

Even now Cubans have very little access to overseas products, the internet and modern media equipment.

The only promotor capable of organising it financially would be the government. But I agree, that would be a major gesture!

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: June 4, 2014 16:45

I'd go probably, if the timing is right

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: June 4, 2014 17:06

treaclefingers
I think if the Stones did play there, the Cubans would be havana good time!

if they play there they should definitely include Brown Cigar..

in the setlist..

ok that's all I got..

Posted by: michaelsavage ()
Date: June 4, 2014 17:33

um, there is this murderous dictator there who has taken away all people's rights and locked up people for being homosexual, so, I, um, say NO!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1666
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home