Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT- Bad Company
Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: May 5, 2014 21:22

so while thinking about how much I used to love their music, I see that Bad Company is indeed touring again..

Ralphs, Rodgers, Kirke, and a second guitarist and bassist ( from Paul Rodgers' band?) are teaming up with Lynyrd Skynyrd for a summer tour apparently.

I reckon Bad Company would sound pretty good again..

Re: OT- Bad Company
Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: May 5, 2014 21:33

Howard Leese seems to take a lot of Mick's leads but they are still mighty fine.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: May 5, 2014 22:44

Braincapers
Howard Leese seems to take a lot of Mick's leads but they are still mighty fine.

Formerly of Heart ... and my high school

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: May 5, 2014 23:30

Would definitely like to see these guys live! They really came up with some "classics" in the 70s, unfortunately they lost their knack after that...Rodgers has such a great voice but somehow his material didn't live up to it after that golden period. Not by a lack of talented collaborators though, Jimmy Page in The Firm obviously but also Queen more recently.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-05 23:31 by gotdablouse.

Date: May 5, 2014 23:56

well, he seems to be in fine form. not sure about Mick Ralphs, but I sure like his work on the originals. and with Mott the Hoople.

[www.badcompany.com]

Posted by: Tonstone ()
Date: May 6, 2014 00:38

duke richardson
so while thinking about how much I used to love their music, I see that Bad Company is indeed touring again..

Ralphs, Rodgers, Kirke, and a second guitarist and bassist ( from Paul Rodgers' band?) are teaming up with Lynyrd Skynyrd for a summer tour apparently.

I reckon Bad Company would sound pretty good again..

Always loved Bad Company, I think it is a real pity Paul Rodgers has searched everywhere to attach his voice but never found the match since Bad Co.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: May 6, 2014 09:40

FREE were SO much better.....the worlds BEST band late 60's early 70's [YES, I KNOW OF ANOTHER PRETTY GREAT BAND AROUND THAT TIME :-) ]

Bad Company had SOME great tunes though, just tried a bit too hard for all-conquering stadium rock for my liking.

Free on the other hand, subtle and powerful, melodic and ferocious, restrained and wild ... all at once.

Posted by: deeppurple ()
Date: May 6, 2014 15:38

Bad Company reformed back in '08. Saw the in '09 and '10. Paul Rodgers seems to have found the fountain of youth so, go see them. It's well worth it.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: May 6, 2014 19:03

Paul Rodgers is the best rock/blues vocalist in the world. His ability to belt out soulful melodies is friggin amazing. Everyone wants to work with the man and he can pick and choose his collaborations.

One of my favorite records by him is the tribute to Muddy Waters Blues that he did with a slew of great guitarists including Jeff Beck. Fantastic playing by Jeff and many others and a must have for guitar players, imho. peace

Date: May 6, 2014 19:36

Naturalust
Paul Rodgers is the best rock/blues vocalist in the world. His ability to belt out soulful melodies is friggin amazing. Everyone wants to work with the man and he can pick and choose his collaborations.

One of my favorite records by him is the tribute to Muddy Waters Blues that he did with a slew of great guitarists including Jeff Beck. Fantastic playing by Jeff and many others and a must have for guitar players, imho. peace

Thanks for the tip smileys with beer

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: May 6, 2014 19:58

Favorite Free LP -- the swan song "Heartbreaker", particularly the powerful title track and "Wishing Well." Bad Company was an upswing in commercial appeal, but not so much for me though some fun cuts. Rodgers of course is a terrific vocalist, as good as anyone. He has aged very well vocally and physically, in fact he looks better than he did back in the day. That's pretty much unique!

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: May 6, 2014 21:14

Naturalust

Agreed. While it may not be an album for blues "purists", it is really well done and I've been enjoying it since it came out in the mid-90's and I heard "The Hunter" (Slash on lead guitar) on the radio. My best-friend (guitarist) & I actually liked the slow version of "Schoolgirl" (w/Jeff Beck) so much, that we've had all of the bands we've played with since do that version of the song as opposed to a different one.

Enjoy!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: May 6, 2014 21:23

Paul looks to be in great physical shape, too. Workout freak like Mick J.?

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: May 7, 2014 06:31

Wry Cooter
Favorite Free LP -- the swan song "Heartbreaker", particularly the powerful title track and "Wishing Well." Bad Company was an upswing in commercial appeal, but not so much for me though some fun cuts. Rodgers of course is a terrific vocalist, as good as anyone. He has aged very well vocally and physically, in fact he looks better than he did back in the day. That's pretty much unique!

I love Free's Fire and Water LP and also Highway....Be My Friend off Highway is one of the greatest tunes ever written - SO SOULFUL

Posted by: rob51 ()
Date: May 7, 2014 06:58

Loved this band when I was a kid!

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: May 7, 2014 07:43

Simon Kirke watched the Stones record SOME GIRLS for a week in Paris and was knocked out. (Barbara Charone's KEITH biography)

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: May 7, 2014 08:47

Hey Bluzdude, where did you go to high school? Heart lived in Vancouver in the early 70's and they toured BC. My sister said they played her high school dance in Hope!
Paul Rodgers was living in White Rock, part of Metro Vancouver the past several years. He now has a house in Summerland, in the BC Okanagan area. He recently played a concert in Penticton, about 20 minutes from Summerland and he said at least he didn't have far to drive home.

Are there any original members of Skynyrd left in the band?

Date: May 7, 2014 09:06

Howard is from Los Angeles. I don't think he was their first guitarist, but I think he went to Seattle when he got the call.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: May 7, 2014 09:54

Wry Cooter
in fact he looks better than he did back in the day. That's pretty much unique!

You jest, surely? That--well, let's be kind and call it "hairpiece," is the object of mass hilarity among my fellow Free fans. The plastic surgery is a bit obvious, too.

The voice is still great, though, and I'm still a big fan. Love the Muddy Waters album. Oddly, the show when PR impressed me most was when he was one of the Atlantic acts playing the undercard at the Zeppelin reunion show in 2007--he played Seagull and All Right Now, and had the audience in the palm of his hand, which was absolutely no easy feat when you consider that we were all there for one reason only (and no, it wasn't Bill's Rhythm Kings, though they were great too!).

Posted by: deeppurple ()
Date: May 7, 2014 17:07

Paul well tell you it is wife that is the reason for his health. She is a former model and Miss Canada, exercise physiologist and artist Cynthia Kereluk. I remember her from her TV program, 'Everyday Workout.' She is a very sweet and down to earth lady. I have met her a few times. She works the merchandise booths and walks around the crowd during his shows. She is always surprised when people recognize her. She even introduce me to him at a sound check. Listen to his latest release, 'The Royal Sessions' recorded at Memphis Royal Studios. A collection of classic R&B and soul songs. Well worth your time.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: May 7, 2014 22:50

Thanks for the info about Cynthia. I googled her name and I see she was born in Summerland! There was a news article which talked about how they are both heavily involved with the local animal shelter and helping out other animal shelters.

Date: May 8, 2014 08:53

Very cool to read this glad to know. Bad company, Free, Mott, sound of my youth (and Stones of course)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-08 08:55 by duke richardson.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1492
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home