Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Gimme Shelter: whose song is it?
Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: March 20, 2011 23:12

Amsterdamned
Mathijs
Amsterdamned
The original great guitar intro is played in open E, which Keith likely borrowed from Rye Cooder. The rest of the guitar parts on the Let it Bleed version are not that innovating.

Richards of course did not learn open E from Cooder. Cooder most probably didn't meet Keith before March '69, while Keith started using it from February '68 on, and is used on many tracks on BB.

Brian Jones used open E from the early days on for slide, but also for rythm (Mona). By all accounts, it was his meetings with Taj Mahal, Jesse Ed Davies and Gram Parson in '67 and '68 that turned him on to open D and E, extended by open G through Cooder from March '69.

And the remark about the rest of the guitars not being inovating.... Sure, it's not 1000 notes per second in Lydian scale as you would like, but it's kind of genius to be able to define an era and create one of the best rock tracks ever with just a few notes on a bum guitar through a cranked transistor amp.

Mathijs

Mind you, Taylor is playing in C# min bluesscale just playing easy yet steamy solos.

Just to note, GS is in the key of D-flat minor.

But you knew that of course.

Mathijs

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 20, 2011 23:19

C#min-B-A if I remember it well.At least the Taylor versions I posted.

To note: Taylor plays a nice C# min arpeggio over Keith A chord in the intro of the first version, which in fact creates a nice A Maj7 chord for a moment.

On the B-major chord they meet again and then Taylor gets loose with a "devastating"
rhythm guitar for starters,followed by one of the best blues&rock guitarsolos/fills
using C# min blues scales in various positions the Stones ever enjoyed.

But you noticed this already I presume.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-03-21 00:25 by Amsterdamned.

Date: March 20, 2011 23:30

stones78
Amsterdamned
stones78

Have you read this board lately? There's no Keith worship at all.

Indeed. Considering the way some people react on my non offending yet musical Keith-GS post, at least his spirit is around.
That's what I call Keith worship.

Date: March 20, 2011 23:40

Eerst de Engelse taal maar eens onder de knie krijgen mannetje! 4-0[/quote]
<Vocalion>

Running out of answers? Come on and grow up,You can do better. Writing in Dutch makes no sense.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1417
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home