Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Just recieved a phone call from Charlie Watts!
Posted by: mikesnaps ()
Date: March 12, 2011 16:19

Still in shock Charlie Watts just rang my house in lil old Adelaide, Australia.
My wife of 5 years emigrated from England in the late 60's ( she was a child then)

She has always told me stories of how her mother knew Charlie when he was younger (pre stones). In fact on my mother in law borrowed Charlie's sister's veil to wear
on her wedding day. My mother in law's memory is fading (shes in her 80's now) but
still remembers young Charlie coming to her family's house for a cup of tea.

She lost contact with Charlie and his family and moved to Australia. I urged my wife to write a letter to Charlie (she did this approx 4 weeks ago) and she included photos of her mum's wedding day wearing Charlie's sister's wedding veil plus other photos including one I had taken of charlie signing a autograph for me in the Hyatt hotel in Perth during the voodoo lounge tour.

Anyway it was just after midnight here (about approx 45mins ago} the phone rang we were in bed my wife picks up and it was Charlie! He recieved my wife's letter thanked her and is going to pass on the photos to his sister. He is a thorough gentleman and is sending my wife a letter and said he will ring her again. He was most apologetic for waking us up! He can ring anytime he likes!

Still in shock and wished I had answered the phone. I have always been a fan and my wife and I are still in shock and just confirms what a lovely down to eath guy Charlie is.

Re: Just recieved a phone call from Charlie Watts!
Posted by: boston2006 ()
Date: March 12, 2011 16:35

Wow , if you've got caller ID I'll wager you could sell his telephone number for a pretty penny .

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: March 12, 2011 16:45

Did he mention anything about a tour?

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: March 12, 2011 16:55

Great story mikesnaps. Thanks for sharing.

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: Quique-stone ()
Date: March 12, 2011 17:56

Cool story mikesnaps! Congratulations for insisting to your wife to wrtie him a letter!

What a gentleman Charlie is!

Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: March 12, 2011 18:21

best post here in years - awesome

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: March 12, 2011 18:23

Too cool.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: March 12, 2011 18:25

I always knew that Charlie,Bill,Mick T and Ronnie have still got their feet on the ground when it comes to dealing with fans and the general public.Several storys I've heard about Bill in particular.That is such a nice thing to do by Charlie.I hate to say it ,but the nearest thing Keith gets to his fans is a book signing and Mick, on stage on a Stones tour. Wonder if Mick and Keith have got any true old friends from school or the '60's. confused smiley

Date: March 12, 2011 18:26

mikesnaps
He was most apologetic for waking us up!

...Aaargh... Charlie IS my Darling...

["I can hear the Bullfrog calling me..."]

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: March 12, 2011 18:30

You know, about twenty years ago I heard of Charlie making a call to a fan. It was like 6 AM on a Saturday. A few others who have been known to pick up the phone and call are Bernard, Blondie and Mac.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: March 12, 2011 18:47

good stuff

Posted by: angee ()
Date: March 12, 2011 18:57

mikesnaps, how great, thanks for telling us about the family history and the phone call
from Charlie!

Posted by: ineedadrink ()
Date: March 12, 2011 19:04

i heard mickscarey receives creepy phonecalls from the ghost of brian jones whispering to him "the tour is on, it's a done deal. spread the word!".

Posted by: mitchflorida ()
Date: March 12, 2011 19:21

Did you ask Charlie if the Stones were going on tour this year?

Posted by: marchbaby ()
Date: March 12, 2011 19:27

mikesnaps
Still in shock Charlie Watts just rang my house in lil old Adelaide, Australia.
My wife of 5 years emigrated from England in the late 60's ( she was a child then)

She has always told me stories of how her mother knew Charlie when he was younger (pre stones). In fact on my mother in law borrowed Charlie's sister's veil to wear
on her wedding day. My mother in law's memory is fading (shes in her 80's now) but
still remembers young Charlie coming to her family's house for a cup of tea.

She lost contact with Charlie and his family and moved to Australia. I urged my wife to write a letter to Charlie (she did this approx 4 weeks ago) and she included photos of her mum's wedding day wearing Charlie's sister's wedding veil plus other photos including one I had taken of charlie signing a autograph for me in the Hyatt hotel in Perth during the voodoo lounge tour.

Anyway it was just after midnight here (about approx 45mins ago} the phone rang we were in bed my wife picks up and it was Charlie! He recieved my wife's letter thanked her and is going to pass on the photos to his sister. He is a thorough gentleman and is sending my wife a letter and said he will ring her again. He was most apologetic for waking us up! He can ring anytime he likes!

Still in shock and wished I had answered the phone. I have always been a fan and my wife and I are still in shock and just confirms what a lovely down to eath guy Charlie is.

Very nice story!

Mick's rock, I'm roll.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: March 12, 2011 19:43

Nice story. And nice to hear Charlie's not so shy after all.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: March 12, 2011 19:57

charlie is the only stone with any dignity IMO

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: March 12, 2011 20:14

Great story. Thanks for sharing it.

Charlie has class.

sc uk

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: March 12, 2011 20:33

Fantastic (as Charlie would say!)

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: March 12, 2011 21:06

A lovely story about a real gentleman. Thanks for telling us.

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: March 12, 2011 21:19

Nice story indeed !
<<He is a thorough gentleman <<

That's the way I think Mr Watts is .

Btw,Mikesnaps , I would love to know how Charlie's voice sounded like -does he have "such" an English " accent - and ,
you didn't tell us how did you go back to sleep after this phone call ?

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: March 12, 2011 21:48

ineedadrink
i heard mickscarey receives creepy phonecalls from the ghost of brian jones whispering to him "the tour is on, it's a done deal. spread the word!".
Done deal?

Nice story Mikesnaps. Very cool.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: March 12, 2011 22:17

a very Charlie story! thanks for posting it :E

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 12, 2011 22:24

Hey that's a good one mikesnaps.....Thanks for tellin' us

And careful don't break a leg gettin' to the phone next time it rrrrrrrrings....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: March 12, 2011 22:31

thank you! it's a great story!
next time he calls - pretty please ask him... winking smiley

Posted by: gypsy18 ()
Date: March 12, 2011 23:38

That's a wonderful story! I really hope he calls again and that you get to answer!
Charlie is a true gent. smiling smiley

Posted by: mikesnaps ()
Date: March 13, 2011 00:09

Hey guys went back to bed after my late night post.
Have hardly slept from the excitement.

Am going to camp by the phone the next few weeks. Charlie told my wife he is going to show her photos to his sister (Linda) then ring her again once Linda ( who apparently knew my mother in law and her family reasonably well) had seen the photos.

My wife and I are just so impressed by what a humble gentleman Charlie is. Thankfully my wife when she realised who she was talking to put the phone on loudspeaker and I got to hear what he had to say.

He said he remembered my mum in law and seemed genuinely touched to hear about her
almost 50 years later. He has posted a letter to us already and wanted to pass on his regards to my wife's mum. The fact he rang my wife as well as promising to ring her again is amazing.

My wife did mention I was a life long Stones fan which he politely acknowledged but he really was interested in acknowledging my wife's family thanking her for the letter and consistently apoligising for ringing so late ( he thought it was about 9pm Aussie time) As I said before he could have rang at 3am we are just very touched he made time and effort to contact us by phone.

What a lovely guy he is, not a hint of pretense, ego or arrogance just a true gentleman. We rang my mum in law after the call woke her up and she was quite moved Charlie had rang and still remembers her.

Will be telling this story for a long time and when he rings again I will let the IORR forum know.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: March 13, 2011 00:29

Lovely story. Congratulations.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: March 13, 2011 00:41

Charlie rocks !

Check out Charlie's reception after his introduction at 1:54

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-03-13 00:57 by Edith Grove.

Posted by: Marmalade ()
Date: March 13, 2011 01:50

Wonderful story, mikesnaps. Thanks for posting.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1560
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home