Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Tucson
Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: March 24, 2014 04:44

In Tucson this weekend, I popped into the Convention Center- scene of a memorable '72 show (riots outside) and another noted show from 78. Such a small venue, no backstage- out that large door (would have been behind stage) and into the motorhome in 72. By 78, an area had been created for backstage.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-24 04:46 by hbwriter.

Re: Tucson
Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: March 24, 2014 05:22

Cool. I love "then and now" photos. Do they still have concerts at this venue?

Date: March 24, 2014 05:50

they do- and sporting events - some construction happening now. spoke to someone that saw the '72 show- loved it - she said jagger was hit on the side of his head with a can and had a huge welt on his face for second half of the show.

Date: March 24, 2014 05:50

only 8000 - one of the smaller venues for this tour

Date: March 24, 2014 07:25

hbwriter
they do- and sporting events - some construction happening now. spoke to someone that saw the '72 show- loved it - she said jagger was hit on the side of his head with a can and had a huge welt on his face for second half of the show.

It's always a cool feeling being in a space or venue that once was the site of a famous concert or event. I work in the entertainment business so I've been to many of these old venues around the world. One of my favorites is the San Jose Civic Auditorium (which I believe the Stones played in 1965) as well as many other great bands from the 60's and 70's such as The Doors, Jimi Hendrix Experience, Led Zeppelin, The Who, and of course, The Grateful Dead. Since it's a historic building it hasn't changed much inside and still has the same old beat-up wooden stage from ages ago. I must admit it was a cool feeling standing on that stage and imagining all the great people who have played on it over the years. Same with the legendary Apollo Theatre in NYC.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-26 12:10 by TornAndFried.

Date: March 24, 2014 07:28

LOVE both places! do you photograph the places you visit?

Date: March 24, 2014 08:30

hbwriter
LOVE both places! do you photograph the places you visit?

I've photographed a few of the places where I've worked, but unfortunately, not many. And when I did it was usually after everything was set up for the show I was working on. Looking back I wish I kept a record of my travels. A few of the places I worked at are gone now such as The Spectrum in Philly, old Yankee Stadium, Giants Stadium, Shea Stadium and Patriots Stadium in Foxboro, MA.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-24 10:02 by TornAndFried.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: March 24, 2014 16:08

Saw the '78 Stones show there, as well as Springsteen the same year, and the Faces before that ('75).

Posted by: Bellajane ()
Date: March 24, 2014 16:28

Love the photos...thank you!

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: March 24, 2014 16:30

Tucson has always been a great place to stop for gas...I see why they went ahead and threw together a show while there!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 24, 2014 19:53

Munichhilton
Tucson has always been a great place to stop for gas...I see why they went ahead and threw together a show while there!

A little known fact.

It's actually pronounced "Tuckson".

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: March 24, 2014 20:12

treaclefingers
Munichhilton

A little known fact.

I'll leave that to the Tucksonians to argue...

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: March 24, 2014 20:27

Who is the guy right behind Mick Jagger?

Posted by: aeon ()
Date: March 24, 2014 20:48

bobby keys

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 24, 2014 23:03

Munichhilton
treaclefingers
Munichhilton

A little known fact.

I'll leave that to the Tucksonians to argue...

You can't argue fact.

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: March 25, 2014 07:04

Wasn't there a thread on here of a then/now of stadiums and arenas? I seem to remember one. If not, there should be.

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2289
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home