Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Bryan Ferry
Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: March 23, 2014 13:01

Has anybody seen Bryan in the last few years? I'm thinking about going to see him in a few weeks. Hesitating because last time I saw him, he was kind of mediocre. This was several years ago though. I saw Roxy Music on the High Road tour & that was amazing.

Re: OT: Bryan Ferry
Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: March 23, 2014 13:04

Saw Roxy Music at the O2 not that long ago when they reformed, nothing special to be honest. They did a load of relatively obscure stuff, which wasn't really ideal for a "comeback" kind of thing.

Otherwise, seen him individually doing various things, I would say the "mediocre" just about sums him up perfectly. I wouldn't go out of my way to see him again, that's for sure.

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: caschimann ()
Date: March 23, 2014 13:13

On his last tour 2011 in the "Admiralspalast" Berlin - 2.800 seats, lovely venue from the 40ies - he was wonderful, in stunning form and took the people out of their seats.
Same was last April 2013 - same place, again a great, great performance.
So go!

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: March 23, 2014 14:09

I haven't seen his latest tour, but judging on the dvd Nuits de Fourvière: Live in Lyon he's in excellent form.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-23 14:10 by BowieStone.

Date: March 23, 2014 14:23

Thanks to all for the input. Historically, he hasn't played in the US much. He's playing the symphony hall in Seattle which would be cool but is on a bad night. I might go see him at Pearl Theater @ the Palms in Vegas. Good venue, I saw Jeff Beck & Brian Wilson there. It's a little sterile but the sound is excellent.

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: March 23, 2014 16:02

crholmstrom
Has anybody seen Bryan in the last few years? I'm thinking about going to see him in a few weeks. Hesitating because last time I saw him, he was kind of mediocre. This was several years ago though. I saw Roxy Music on the High Road tour & that was amazing.

Well, mediocre to some might mean excellent to others. He does patent shows, but he lacks songs with a commercial knack. There ain`t any fat riffs, no singalalong chorus. He seems to never have leared that, except for a short bliss with Roxy Music and their "Flesh & Blood" album.

Date: March 23, 2014 16:30

noughties
crholmstrom

Well, mediocre to some might mean excellent to others. He does patent shows, but he lacks songs with a commercial knack. There ain`t any fat riffs, no singalalong chorus. He seems to never have leared that, except for a short bliss with Roxy Music and their "Flesh & Blood" album.

???

Slave to love, Love is the Drug, Dance Away, Avalon, More Than this, oh yeah, Do the Strand, virginia plain, don't stop the dance, and many many more.
And let's not forget great covers: jealous guy, let's stick together.

All these songs prove your post wrong.
Or am I just a fan talking?

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: March 23, 2014 16:44

It's a bit hard to understand what happened to him after the excellent "Slave to Love" in 1984 and his nice set at Live Aid...never released any original material since, right?

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: big4 ()
Date: March 23, 2014 16:56

gotdablouse
It's a bit hard to understand what happened to him after the excellent "Slave to Love" in 1984 and his nice set at Live Aid...never released any original material since, right?

Oh, just a few...

Bete Noire (featuring Johnny Marr)
Mamouna
Taxi

...and that's just off the top of my head.

Date: March 23, 2014 17:14

big4
gotdablouse

Oh, just a few...

Bete Noire (featuring Johnny Marr)
Mamouna
Taxi

...and that's just off the top of my head.

+

Olympia
Frantic (half of it anyway)

(Taxi is a cover album)

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: March 23, 2014 17:21

Yeah "Bete Noire" was ok, need to listen to it again, it's been a while, the rest...oh and on Taxi has one original BF song : [www.allmusic.com] and "Dylanesque", I mean what's the point. We can rant and rave about the Stones having "dried up" but when you look at what's happened to Bryan Ferry...

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: March 23, 2014 17:24

Saw him in '76 for the last time........great artist and band

Date: March 23, 2014 17:55

gotdablouse
Yeah "Bete Noire" was ok, need to listen to it again, it's been a while, the rest...oh and on Taxi has one original BF song : [www.allmusic.com] and "Dylanesque", I mean what's the point. We can rant and rave about the Stones having "dried up" but when you look at what's happened to Bryan Ferry...

Well, I think he's still as good as he's ever been.
I was impressed with his latest album (Olympia) and you should check out his latest dvd... Really really good.

Special mention for As Time Goes By. To me, that might be the greatest cover album ever. Bryan was born to sing those songs. And the tour that accompanied that album is in my top 3 of best concerts I went to.

(The Dylanesque album is not my favorite either but Positively 4th Street is beautiful)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-23 17:57 by BowieStone.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: March 23, 2014 21:33

BowieStone
gotdablouse

I was impressed with his latest album (Olympia) and you should check out his latest dvd... Really really good.

Special mention for As Time Goes By. To me, that might be the greatest cover album ever. Bryan was born to sing those songs. And the tour that accompanied that album is in my top 3 of best concerts I went to.

(The Dylanesque album is not my favorite either but Positively 4th Street is beautiful)

I agree 100%, he's in fine form. I saw him in concert two years ago and he was outstanding.

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: March 23, 2014 21:37

BowieStone
gotdablouse

thumbs up

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: March 23, 2014 21:38

Well, there are good points by many of you, but he`s definetely a fan`s favourite, some would say many women`s favourite. However, I must say, he hasn`t conquered the heart of the masses. Remember, Roxy Music`s first song "Virginia Plain" didn`t even have a chorus. All the same, some would say he hasn`t got the acclaim he deserves, but he`s picky, and little risk taking. Music mags have stopped covering him. A cure to this could be; "- Go now, and make that 9th Roxy Music album of yore!"

Posted by: Ladykiller ()
Date: March 23, 2014 22:10

I saw Bryan Ferry in 2001 with Roxy Music in an absolute killer concert. And also solo in great show in 1988. In my opinion, he is a very good live act. If you've never seen him live, do not miss him!!!

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: March 23, 2014 22:21

First saw Roxy Music, with Eno, open for Jethro Tull at MSG, NYC back in 1972. Never heard of them and was fascinated by their stage outfits but really enjoyed their short set. Saw him solo again about 20 years ago and really enjoyed the show. Wish he would come back to the Boston area again.

Posted by: wineaux ()
Date: March 24, 2014 05:37

Saw him 2 years ago in April in Chicago.... it was my 2nd time seeing him and it was a great show. I'd say if you have the opportunity, go for it!

Date: March 24, 2014 12:58

Again, thanks to all! Will check out ticket situation today. There were plenty a few days ago.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1738
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home