Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Under My Thumb '97... Not too shabby!
Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: March 22, 2014 23:09

[www.youtube.com]

I take back what I said in another thread about this song not being good live after '82. This is a really cool version. I wonder why they didn't play this regularly on the BTB tour, it comes off well to my ears. I like '69 style bass intro. Daryl lays down a nice groove throught, Kieth is sounding really good and Mick's singing is soulful. I like the interaction between Mick and Keith. During the bridge Mick goes in the back to put on a hat and then misses his spot to come back in. He waits and then Keith Urges him to go back out and sing. Cool ending that they added onto it. And yes, I like Chucks keyboard part as well. It seems like the best stones stuff of recent years are re - workings of their 60's pop tunes.

Re: Under My Thumb '97... Not too shabby!
Posted by: onestep ()
Date: March 22, 2014 23:41

Loved this version........it was cold as shit that night!
By the time they hit No Security arena tour they were so honed...the best version of the live band I ever saw...THAT is when they really started experimenting.
Some of these songs never played live.

Some Girls
MoonLight Mile
You Got the Silver
I Got The Blues
I Just Wanna Make Love to You
Ruby Tuesday
Sweet Virginia
Memory Motel
Bitch
Fool To Cry
Live With Me
Respectable
Cloud

Those songs were rotating along with the normally played ones, PLUS the Bridges to Babylon album really lent itself live.

Out of Control
Saint Of Me
Anybody Seen My Baby
Flip The Switch

The Stones really vary what they play live more than any other band.
The Who on the other hand, might play 22 different songs a tour, where back 99, The Stones might have played 40 or more different songs during the tour.

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: March 22, 2014 23:56

Nice version indeed! I like how Jagger messed it up a little bit after Keith's solo.

Cheers,
Wuudy

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: March 23, 2014 00:02

I just wanna make love to you : played live in 1990 (maybe too in 89)
Sweet Virginia : 1972 and live European debut at the Paradiso 1995
Fool To Cry : live in 1976
Bitch : Live in 89/90
Live With Me : 94/95
Respectable : 97/98
Ruby Tuesday : 89/90

I liked that they played a lot of fresh songs from the BtB album during that tour. Saint Of Me and Out Of Control were great live.

Date: March 23, 2014 00:29

Yes I realize some of them were played before, but they really started throwing in lots of variety, including some firsts during the Bridges to Babylon tour, and exploding into No Security.

Like Some Girls, You Got The Silver, Shine a Light....that was a tour to follow, you got something different every night, maybe 2 songs different....they really rotated the list I posted earlier as non regular appearances.

They started playing Cloud, Rambler and Gimmie Shelter with regularity, which they had stopped from 78 through 82...and reintroduced them in 94.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: March 23, 2014 00:30

The gig was raw/rotten as are most tour openers but for some reason this one song is really great.
A bit like the lame Nuremberg'98 show where Keith played a version of TITN that ended on NS!

Date: March 23, 2014 00:38

I was at MSG when they first played that song, it was great.
Remember NS album did not have one song on it from the No Security tour.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: March 23, 2014 00:58

amazing how much better they play in general than they did in 1997..

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: March 23, 2014 01:38

Now this version was a nice surprise. Thanks for posting.

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: March 23, 2014 01:50

This Under My Thumb is very nice indeed. Very understated. A very bare version, which works. The licks Ronnie plays are good too. For once the guitars in the sound are mixed very even. You can hear both guitars very good. Nice to see they are having so much fun on stage with this song.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: March 23, 2014 02:02

Was Keith playing a solo? Wow. Yikes.

Posted by: fahthree ()
Date: March 23, 2014 02:08

I love Mick at the 2:56 mark...

Posted by: steini ()
Date: March 23, 2014 02:35

Well, ok i´ts not good. Why? Mainly i´s so uneven and like it´s going to fall apart. Chuck and Darryl are very loud while Ron and Keith are not the shadow of they´re playing in 1981-2, that was a rocking version and this one could be good and more groovie but it its nott well rehearsed.. Mick is obviously singing his first show in a tour, a bit monotone and unsecure, bad mix and if memory serves my well then i think the tape is on too much speed here, it was slower i think.

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: March 23, 2014 02:40

Sorry guys I have to disagree here. I really WANTED to like Under My Thumb when played opening night in Chicago 1997, but it is just so incredibly tame. To top it off, Chuck is playing lead on the keyboards. Contrast that to 81 when Keith plays the lead...

Posted by: goinhome ()
Date: March 23, 2014 05:37

I think that UMT is one of the Stones tunes that has suffered the most following Wyman's departure. He added a little swing and sway to that tune that makes all other versions sound a little rigid to me. The Chicago version in this video has some nice guitar work, and certainly beats out the BB versions I heard, but they all sound a little choppy to my ear.

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: March 23, 2014 07:42

onestep
By the time they hit No Security arena tour they were so honed...the best version of the live band I ever saw...THAT is when they really started experimenting.

Some Girls
MoonLight Mile
You Got the Silver
I Got The Blues
Ruby Tuesday
Sweet Virginia
Memory Motel
Bitch
Fool To Cry
Live With Me
Respectable
Cloud

Those songs were rotating along with the normally played ones, PLUS the Bridges to Babylon album really lent itself live.

Out of Control
Saint Of Me
Anybody Seen My Baby
Flip The Switch

The Who on the other hand, might play 22 different songs a tour, where back 99, The Stones might have played 40 or more different songs during the tour.

well virtually every song was played live before on your list except like one

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: March 23, 2014 10:00

Yeah ok it's tame but at least it was different.

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: March 23, 2014 11:41

Okay that 1997 video is from my youtube account and I increased the tempo by 5 % before uploading to make it sound better... But either way it's a great version.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-23 11:42 by TheBlockbuster.

Posted by: Lady Jayne ()
Date: March 23, 2014 11:46

Redhotcarpet
Yeah ok it's tame but at least it was different.

Is it just me or does it have an almost reggae feel in that 97 version at the top? I much prefer the 81 (apart from Mick's outfit which is truly an offense to the eyes)

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: March 23, 2014 12:00

You're right. Not to bad. Sounds a bit unrehearsed though (understandably). And maybe the '97 tour is the beginning of Mick's increasing nasality.

Date: March 23, 2014 13:55

Except 3 at that time...I guess since
I saw 16 shows that tour...
it was so awesome to see such
varied set lists...thanks
for the history lesson. ;-)

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 23, 2014 16:15

onestep

Some Girls
MoonLight Mile
You Got the Silver
I Got The Blues
Ruby Tuesday
Sweet Virginia
Memory Motel
Bitch
Fool To Cry
Live With Me
Respectable
Cloud

Out of Control
Saint Of Me
Anybody Seen My Baby
Flip The Switch

that is a nice mix of tunes.

Date: March 23, 2014 17:44

smileys with beer

Posted by: steini ()
Date: March 23, 2014 18:07

The Blockbuster wrote: "Okay that 1997 video is from my youtube account and I increased the tempo by 5 % before uploading to make it sound better... But either way it's a great version"

There you go, it think that has something to do with it that some people found a little bit of extra spark to it. By comparison how they play today: well let´s give us they would be in the same mood as when they nailed Street Fighting Man in Hyde park last summer then UMT wouldn´t sound bad i´m sure of.
Regarding Bill Wyman, i think i am speaking for most of us with all respect for Mr. Jones, almost every if not every song had something that is missing now. And that´s just the way things are. The Stones are not playing just better then i could have imagine when i first saw them 24 years ago BUT they are also STILL playing. Thanks for that

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-23 18:09 by steini.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: March 23, 2014 18:13

TheBlockbuster
Okay that 1997 video is from my youtube account and I increased the tempo by 5 % before uploading to make it sound better... But either way it's a great version.

That's very stupid : Keith would have given the blade for it. eye rolling smiley
It did a show a blade to recording assistant to sped up a track during the DW sessions.

If everyone starts to "enhance" the Stones music as fan we're f&cked! angry smiley

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: March 23, 2014 18:16

It lacks passion. The 81/82 performances had passion - it was fast and rocking. The 97 version is a bit closer to the original yet has thin weak guitar in it. It meanders, Mick invents new lyrics, Stones by almost numbers.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1604
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home