Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Shirley Temple RIP
Posted by: BlackHat ()
Date: February 11, 2014 13:46

Re: OT: Shirley Temple RIP
Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: February 11, 2014 14:05

Sad news, but she had a good, long life. A child star who actually grew up normal and went on to do important work. I remember being introduced to her first at a restaurant when my Dad said I could have Shirley Temple drink. After that, I tuned in when one of her old movies came on television. "America’s darling of the Depression years"as the New York Times called her.

[www.nytimes.com]

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: February 11, 2014 15:25

Thought she was already dead. Nice to see I was wrong. Glad she had a very long life after her films as a child. RIP

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: February 11, 2014 15:25

She certainly brought much happiness to many people, including myself. Haven't seen one of her movies in a long time but "Animal Crackers in My Soup" popped in my head as soon as I heard the news this morning. I can still hear her singing it. Sing on Shirley.

Rest in Peace, Ms. Temple (Black).

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: Bellajane ()
Date: February 11, 2014 15:43

She was so adorable when she was a child. I loved watching her movies when I was a little girl. Just heard the news this morning that she passed away. RIP Shirley!

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: February 11, 2014 16:37

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: February 11, 2014 16:51

RollingFreak
Thought she was already dead. Nice to see I was wrong. Glad she had a very long life after her films as a child. RIP

Ha, yes, me too. Thought she died in 1982 or something like that.
Anyway r.i.p.

Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: February 11, 2014 17:03

Did a huge amount of good for America during the Depression - as much as icon as James Dean, Marilyn Monroe and Elvis.

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: February 11, 2014 21:12

My 3 older brothers never dug her, but I sure did -- and still do! Her movies (and the Marx Brothers) are pure joy!

As already said, she's one of the rare child stars who was able to become herself off the silver screen, and have a rich life.

And good point about her being an icon, hbwriter - she was lampooned by babyboomers as being treacly-cute and sort of dropped off in popularity, but she really was amazing and ADORABLE!

- swiss

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: February 11, 2014 21:43

There's also a Stones connection, albeit loose.

On the front of the Sgt Pepper album, there's a doll like Shirley Temple. She's wearing a red and white t shirt, with "Welcome the Rolling Stones, good guys" on the front.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: February 11, 2014 21:59

Little Shirley Temple dancing with Bill "Bojangles" Robinson.

Posted by: batcave ()
Date: February 11, 2014 22:12

tomcasagranda

On the front of the Sgt Pepper album, there's a doll like Shirley Temple. She's wearing a red and white t shirt, with "Welcome the Rolling Stones, good guys" on the front.

Shirley is also standing just to the left of Diana Dors as well as between the wax statues of John and Paul, making three appearances total for the little moppet...

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: February 11, 2014 22:19

batcave
tomcasagranda

Shirley is also standing just to the left of Diana Dors as well as between the wax statues of John and Paul, making three appearances total for the little moppet...

thumbs up

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: February 11, 2014 22:35

BowieStone
RollingFreak

Ha, yes, me too. Thought she died in 1982 or something like that.
Anyway r.i.p.

Myself as well. I was surprised by the news report. I think it's because we associate her work with a time so long ago that such a figure just seems invisible in modern times. Funny to think that she might actually have had a smartphone and knew of such things as the internet. But to us her world was forever black and white like her films.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: February 11, 2014 22:45

hbwriter
Did a huge amount of good for America during the Depression - as much as icon as James Dean, Marilyn Monroe and Elvis.
So true, she is on the same level...

... and then did more... going on to live a long good life, doing public service, was a U.S. ambassador.... and in all those years we never heard any BS about her, a deafening silence. Mrs Temple-Black was a true, rare, class act.

RIP Shirley Temple Black,
you will ALWAYS be awesome!!

smiling smiley

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: February 11, 2014 23:00

She was so adorable.........RIP

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: February 12, 2014 00:02

Her later films sometimes get overlooked. The Bachelor and the Bobbysoxer and Fort Apache are terrific films. She was incredibly talented. RIP.

Posted by: 2000man ()
Date: February 12, 2014 00:19

Child star who did not end up in rehab or arrested for drunk driving, or seen performing whatever her era's equivalent of twerking was.
She went on to become a U.S. diplomat.

Posted by: Long John Stoner ()
Date: February 12, 2014 05:17

2000man
Child star who did not end up in rehab or arrested for drunk driving, or seen performing whatever her era's equivalent of twerking was.
She went on to become a U.S. diplomat.

Absolutely. She showed early on you can be a child star and be forced to grow up faster than you want and still turn out to be an adult who mattered to the world as opposed to one who needs bailing out all the time.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: February 12, 2014 05:39

I spoke with Shirley a few times on business matters as recently as ten years ago, and she was sharp as a nail.

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: February 12, 2014 11:32

--------------
ColonialstoneNZ
--------------

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-16 21:22 by colonial.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: February 12, 2014 13:44

The fact that she stayed 'clean' seems more of an era thing. We're there any other child stars from that period that did go wild?

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: February 12, 2014 15:19

Koen
The fact that she stayed 'clean' seems more of an era thing. We're there any other child stars from that period that did go wild?

Oh, yeah. Lots of 'em. Didn't all those "Little Rascals" kids come to a sad end?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-12 15:27 by tatters.

Posted by: Long John Stoner ()
Date: February 12, 2014 15:54

Koen

[www.minorcon.org]

The link is a website started by a former child actor named Paul Petersen, who appeared on an American television show in the late 1950's to the mid 1960's. Petersen wanted to do something to help all the child stars who were used by their parents, had gone wrong, etc. It made an impact on him even back then.

It the U.S., there's a thing called the Jackie Coogan law, which basically prevents parents of child actors from spending all the kid's money. Coogan was discovered by Charlie Chaplin, and when he turned 21, found out his parents had squandered it all. He sued them and recovered some of his money. The first Coogan law went into effect in 1939.

[www.sagaftra.org]

While the Coogan law doesn't necessarily reflect child stars themselves who went wrong, like the latest one, Justin Bieber, it does indicate the abuse that went on in various forms and why the kids would rebel. Like the other post said, a good many of the Little Rascals didn't turn out well, for example.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: February 12, 2014 16:18

Remember watching her movies as a little boy from a telly. And liking very much. Nice to hear that she lived a long and rich life, even though I can't recall her entering to my little world ever since. An icon is an icon.

RIP Shirley Temple

- Doxa

Posted by: owlbynite ()
Date: February 14, 2014 10:08

On The Good Ship Lollypop!
And what a childhood treat a Shirley Temple drink in a restaurant was!
Great memories....cool smiley

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: February 14, 2014 22:01

I remember her saying something like "I stopped believing in Santa Claus when I was 7. I sat on his lap and he asked me for an autograph."...

Posted by: owlbynite ()
Date: February 19, 2014 08:50

Long John Stoner
Koen

[www.minorcon.org]

The link is a website started by a former child actor named Paul Petersen, who appeared on an American television show in the late 1950's to the mid 1960's. Petersen wanted to do something to help all the child stars who were used by their parents, had gone wrong, etc. It made an impact on him even back then.

It the U.S., there's a thing called the Jackie Coogan law, which basically prevents parents of child actors from spending all the kid's money. Coogan was discovered by Charlie Chaplin, and when he turned 21, found out his parents had squandered it all. He sued them and recovered some of his money. The first Coogan law went into effect in 1939.

[www.sagaftra.org]

While the Coogan law doesn't necessarily reflect child stars themselves who went wrong, like the latest one, Justin Bieber, it does indicate the abuse that went on in various forms and why the kids would rebel. Like the other post said, a good many of the Little Rascals didn't turn out well, for example.

Back then there were loads of prescription drugs prescribed these kids that led to grown-up troubles & were kept hushed by studios....many secrets...look at Judy Garland & Elizabeth Taylor, for example. Judy, man, we don't hear many voices like hers! eye rolling smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-19 08:52 by owlbynite.

Posted by: cookwazzahoe ()
Date: February 19, 2014 18:08

Long John Stoner
Koen

[www.minorcon.org]

[www.sagaftra.org]

Actually what happened to Jackie Coogan is that his dad was killed in a car crash that Jackie survived. His mother remarried, and it was actually the mother and SECOND husband that robbed poor Jackie. Coogan also served the USA in WWII as a glider pilot, and he was almost captured and killed by the Japanese!

Posted by: cookwazzahoe ()
Date: February 19, 2014 18:10

BTW, IMO Miss Temple was the greatest child star ever!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1728
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home