Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Rocks Off by Bill Janowitz
Posted by: HalfNanker ()
Date: February 14, 2014 22:08

Any buzz in here about this book?

I did a search but couldn't find that it had been discussed in any threads yet. Looks like it came out about a year ago.
Is it worth a read?

Re: Rocks Off by Bill Janowitz
Posted by: HalfNanker ()
Date: February 14, 2014 22:11

just realized why...authors name is "vitz" not "witz"

ill check the old threads now!

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: February 14, 2014 22:31

I just finished it a week ago. My favorite part was from a recent interview with Bobby Keys. "You know, I'll tell you what, I was with Keith at his house in Turks and Caicos...a couple of years ago, and he had been listening to a lot of the outtakes from that Exile period, and he told me, 'Man, Bobby, I never realized that Bill was such a @#$%& of a bass player!' he said. 'That sonofabitch was really good!'"

Posted by: RobberBride ()
Date: February 14, 2014 23:09

The buzz is good. Good book.
If my memory serves me well the best chapters are when he puts the songs into their social context, as in "Satisfaction" and "Street Fighting".
Read the old threads and then buy it winking smiley

Posted by: StonesCat ()
Date: February 14, 2014 23:21

Bought the e-book last week, up to LSTNT now, money well spent so far.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 15, 2014 00:09

He really loves Exile, Tumbling Dice especially, and loves Plundered My Soul as well. Nice read!

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: February 15, 2014 07:15

I'm about 2/3's through, but not reading it front to back. Started mostly with "Beggars Banquet" through the Mick Taylor years (surprise!). Anyway, he nails it quite a bit -- a nice balance of insights -- personal, technical, sociological, Stonesy. Great bathroom book!

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: February 15, 2014 15:11

Very WELL WRITTEN, imo!
He really is as good a writer.

Interesting perspective (point of view) he's got, too: being a passionate Stonesfan, ànd an experienced rockmusician himself...

I enjoyed every inch of that book, and would recommend it to anybody!

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 16, 2014 03:01

The title track gets the most pages. As well it should, it's one of their best songs.

Posted by: OlRiddim ()
Date: February 16, 2014 03:31

From the review on Jambands.com:
Now, get your heads around this, boys and girls: author Bill Janovitz hasn’t compiled a list of the “50 greatest Stones songs of all time” or any such thing. Don’t get all caught up in debating why “Dead Flowers” doesn’t have a chapter in Janovitz’ book; or why “Fool To Cry” does – if you do, you’ll be missing the point.

What Janovitz has done is exactly what the book’s title states: he’s chosen 50 tunes that, laid shoulder-to-shoulder and hip-to-hip, map out the Stones’ ups and downs; brilliance and stumbles; their evolution from living in the bohemian poverty of their Edith Grove flat in 1962 to a band of rock ‘n’ roll legends looking their 50th year together right in the eye. A short prologue jumpstarts the story with a bio of the band’s formation, leading into the recording of “Tell Me” in 1964. Fifty chapters later finds Janovitz taking a look at “Plundered My Soul” – one of the bonus cuts on 2010’s deluxe reissue of Exile On Main Street.

Janovitz comes across as the sort of Stones scholar whom you’d like to hang out with: a longtime fan who’s managed to salvage a healthy perspective – and knows his stuff. (Check out his contribution to the 33 1/3 series, a neat track-by-track study of Exile On Main Street.) An accomplished musician himself (singer/guitarist/songwriter for the Boston-based Buffalo Tom), Janovitz can dissect a tune as well as capture the essence of a decades-old scene. You don’t have to be a player yourself to be gathered up by his layer-by-layer study of a track (if he chooses to go that route) any more than you need to have visited the legendary Muscle Shoals Sound Studios to enjoy his telling of the Stones’ stealth visit there in December of 1969 (which spawned “Brown Sugar”, “Wild Horses” and “You Got To Move”).

Read the complete review here.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1899
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home