Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

'69 starburst carpet
Posted by: TheBadRabbit ()
Date: February 4, 2014 17:58

I'm wondering about the starburst carpet the Stones played on for the '69 tour. I seem to remember reading somewhere that it didn't survive Altamont and likely wound up in a Hell Angels clubhouse somewhere. But photos of the 1970 European tour show them playing on that same carpet. Or is it a 'spare?' Anyone know anything about this? (While we're at it...whatever happened to the 'dragon' stage from '72?)

Re: '69 starburst carpet
Date: February 5, 2014 00:13

This doesn't really answer your questions , but I remember reading that in 72/73 they washed the stage down with Sprite before the shows because it gave Jagger better footing.

Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: February 5, 2014 07:31

Palace Revolution 2000
This doesn't really answer your questions , but I remember reading that in 72/73 they washed the stage down with Sprite before the shows because it gave Jagger better footing.

It wasn't Sprite...it was 7-Up and warm water.

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: February 5, 2014 08:01

TornAndFried
Palace Revolution 2000

Yeah, I remember that in the STP book. But how a mixture of soda and water makes a stage more dancable is beyond me. I've worked with a few stage guys, and they had never heard of such a thing. IT could be total BS, but who knows...

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: February 5, 2014 09:52

Sticky feet, as opposed to fingers. Makes you less likely to slip. (Total assumption on my part.)

Posted by: Turning To Gold ()
Date: February 5, 2014 17:02

I had also heard the story about the Hells Angels taking the carpet from Altamont but have no idea where I heard it from. It would be interesting to try and track down the truth of it, or at least where the story originated from.

Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: February 5, 2014 17:28

TheBadRabbit
While we're at it...whatever happened to the 'dragon' stage from '72?

I think Dio used it on his last tour. May he rest in peace.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-06 16:25 by MILKYWAY.

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: February 5, 2014 17:56

I hear The Angels wraped a dead body in that carpet and dumped it.

Just what I heard.

Date: February 6, 2014 00:14

TornAndFried
Palace Revolution 2000

I wonder if one night they had substituted Sprite for 7-Up, if Jagger comes out, kicks into "Brown Sugar", and then "Whoooooah! Wait just one minute. Do I detect some Sprite on my stage?"

Posted by: Nasty Habits ()
Date: February 6, 2014 11:02

Oh is that what the purple rug in my lounge is?

"I've got nasty habits I take tea at three"

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: February 8, 2014 16:29

Without reading again..it was tony funches (the bodyguard) who tried to clean up after the Stonds show..the Angels had it in their hands then Tony Demanded the carpet back..
I think it worked!
The other story I can think of is the angels smashed him over the head.

Posted by: michaelsavage ()
Date: February 8, 2014 18:20

TheBadRabbit
I'm wondering about the starburst carpet the Stones played on for the '69 tour. I seem to remember reading somewhere that it didn't survive Altamont and likely wound up in a Hell Angels clubhouse somewhere. But photos of the 1970 European tour show them playing on that same carpet. Or is it a 'spare?' Anyone know anything about this? (While we're at it...whatever happened to the 'dragon' stage from '72?)
WHY?

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: February 9, 2014 04:45

michaelsavage
TheBadRabbit
WHY?
Michael Savage,
Funny, that was also my question smiling smiley "Why?"

Posted by: jjo ()
Date: February 10, 2014 17:18

Yes it was a spare.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1871
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home