Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
The Eagles show and why it would make a good Stones show
Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: February 7, 2014 02:07

I saw the Eagles the other night- here's a short review -
[ultimateclassicrock.com]

made me wonder how the format would fit the Stones and i think it would be really interesting. If mick and keith came out first to do a couple of acoustic numbers and tell a couple of stories- keep bringing people out as they make sense- charlie, mick, bill- whomever- tell the chronological tale with some video - less bombast/vegas - more dramatic presentation/insightful presentation.

Re: The Eagles show and why it would make a good Stones show
Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: February 7, 2014 02:12

...Why group Charlie with the members that decided to leave?

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: February 7, 2014 02:14

How does the new Forum compare with the old one?
Is it mainly cosmetic changes or were there structural ones made also?

I assume the sound has improved.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: February 7, 2014 02:15

More a case of grouping him with other members of the band--I assume the idea is to bring them out at the point in the story when they joined.

This would be a very interesting one-off, but for a regular Stones show I'd just want the music.

Date: February 7, 2014 02:25

Bastion

what I meant was - you start with Mick and Keith talking about the train station meeting they play some chuck berry or something- then you wing charlie in - you just build it accordingly

Date: February 7, 2014 02:26

BluzDude
How does the new Forum compare with the old one?
Is it mainly cosmetic changes or were there structural ones made also?

I assume the sound has improved.

it's very different- more cushy- like a giant theater- lots of carpet and new padding- helps the sound a lot- not more sports events there- it is all converted- some hiccups here and there but overall, nice

Posted by: Deathgod ()
Date: February 7, 2014 02:27

pass.

I'd rather Keef walk out first riffing.

Then Charlie, Ron and Daryl lock in.

A few seconds later Mick comes strutting out...finger pointing, shaking, strutting.

And we are away.

Date: February 7, 2014 02:32

Deathgod
pass.

A few seconds later Mick comes strutting out...finger pointing, shaking, strutting.

And we are away.

hey to each his own- me, i feel like i have seen that show a few too many times- the eagles formula worked really well- one intermission - 3:15 show- a very cool experience overall with plenty of places to play around and get off the script

Posted by: Deathgod ()
Date: February 7, 2014 02:36

no worries. I dig where you are coming from, I just love the rush of the intro.
Stones everywhere !

Date: February 7, 2014 02:49

Deathgod
pass.

And we are away.

so you want the same thing they've done the last 30 years?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-07 02:51 by keefriffhard4life.

Date: February 7, 2014 02:54

I would, yes. grinning smiley

Date: February 7, 2014 03:01

i hate that the eagles are ignoring their most recent album LONG ROAD OUT OF EDEN and it would be nice if they played the single only "hole in the world".

i do like they are playing some earlier deep album cuts. i also like the fact that the band usually busts out some non eagles songs from the members other projects. i know joe walsh gets represented well with "lifes been good", "rocky mountain way", "funk #49" and"walk away". henley will bust out "dirty laundry", "boys of summer", "sunset grill" and "all she wants to do is dance". frey seems to ignore his solo stuff but i have seen them do "you belong to the city"

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: February 7, 2014 03:11

Deathgod
pass.

And we are away.

I'll stick with this thumbs up

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: February 7, 2014 03:28

Chris - Saw them at The Forum on the 25th...excellent show...your review is spot on.

As for the Stones ever doing something similar, I'm sure Mick would think the audience would be bored with the format (and of course we'd never get 3 hours)...the Stones made their choice years ago to play it safe and not challenge the audience (or themselves) - and that's how it will always be.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: February 7, 2014 03:41

I'd pay an extra hundred bucks to see the Stones do this.

Totally agree. (Love your stuff, Chris.)

Date: February 7, 2014 03:42

Jah Paul
Chris - Saw them at The Forum on the 25th...excellent show...your review is spot on.

As for the Stones ever doing something similar, I'm sure Mick would think the audience would be bored with the format (and of course we'd never get 3 hours)...the Stones made their choice years ago to play it safe and not challenge the audience (or themselves) - and that's how it will always be.

I think you are right about that - what i liked about the eagles show is how personal and intimate it felt - i never took them for that but they impressed me -

Date: February 7, 2014 03:43

bleedingman
I'd pay an extra hundred bucks to see the Stones do this.

Totally agree. (Love your stuff, Chris.)

(me, too! and thanks, man)

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: February 7, 2014 04:06

hbwriter
Jah Paul

I think you are right about that - what i liked about the eagles show is how personal and intimate it felt - i never took them for that but they impressed me -

I agree...it was a special performance. It was also the first time I ever saw them. I missed Don Felder, but it was great seeing Bernie there, and Joe Walsh was incredible. What impressed me was the arrangements...no horn section like they've had on some tours the past decade. And even though they had three guys on keyboards, they were incidental to the mix and it was pretty much guitars-bass-drums the whole show.

Date: February 7, 2014 04:08

Jah Paul
..the Stones made their choice years ago to play it safe and not challenge the audience (or themselves) - and that's how it will always be.

I'd say following this formula would be playing it safe, especially for guys in their 70s--it's what they're doing now that is challenging themselves.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: February 7, 2014 05:49

This is the sophisticated concert many fans yearn for but will never get. Of course the audience would go for it. There'd still be enough hits for the tourists. Jagger is just too insecure, or money hungry, or both, to deviate from the same old same old.

They talk of artistry but they stopped exhibiting any a decade ago. Remember the short acoustic set on the Voodoo Lounge tour? That, and the No Security Tour were the last hurrah as artists. They should just send Mick Taylor home for all the usage their allowing him. Bill, Bill, Bill. Always acidic, but always right about those boys.

Date: February 7, 2014 09:59

I can see the positive aspects of a show like this, but to me it would be like watching a live documentary, when I want the momentum and excitement of a rock and roll show. And I really admire the Stones for having the balls and energy to go out and do 2-hour rock and roll shows these days, rather than take the "sophisticated" route which would allow for lots of sitting down, etc. winking smiley

As a TV special this could be great, but as a tour . . . Actually, it's hard to even imagine Mick and Keith coming out together every night and reminiscing about their early days.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: February 7, 2014 10:18

Stories are for video documentaries, and when you're drinking lots of booze as a good deal of the audience were at the show I attended, you're less likely to be attentive to spoken word. Stones fans go to the shows to party, and to keep the party going, the band has to keep the music playing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-07 10:53 by stonehearted.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: February 7, 2014 10:18

I'm not going to see an Eagles show until Felder is invited back, the way they screwed him over in 1994 (as well as Walsh and Schmidt) is a disgrace to show business and that's saying a lot. As for ignoring their 2007 album, considering how empty it is, other than the old "How Long" track from 1972 it's probably just as well.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: February 7, 2014 11:00

gotdablouse
I'm not going to see an Eagles show until Felder is invited back, the way they screwed him over in 1994 (as well as Walsh and Schmidt) is a disgrace to show business and that's saying a lot. As for ignoring their 2007 album, considering how empty it is, other than the old "How Long" track from 1972 it's probably just as well.

i love LONG ROAD OUT OF EDEN but honestly they just finishing touring it around 2011 and at one point were playing 9 songs from the album at every show. when is the last time the stones played 9 songs from a new album at the same show?

anyways i thought "guilty of the crime", "busy being fabulous", "idon't want to hear it anymore", "waiting in the weed", "no more cloudy days", the title track, "do something" and "no more walks in the woods" were also good songs along with "how long".

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: February 7, 2014 11:22

Such a thing simply wouldn't work for the remainder of the stones.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 7, 2014 16:24

hbwriter
Bastion

what I meant was - you start with Mick and Keith talking about the train station meeting they play some chuck berry or something- then you wing charlie in - you just build it accordingly

Neil Diamond/Paul Anka sort of show. Saw both and they were great.

I would not like to see the stones go down this road though. Can you imagine Jagger going 'historical' with Keith night after night?

Posted by: MizzAmandaJonez ()
Date: February 7, 2014 16:33

I was at that show at the forum, they made that into the nicest big barn in the country, IMO.

I've seen the stones 60+ times, I've seen the Eagles 15 times, both since the early 70s.

I totally agree with HB.

The way the Eagles did the show was super cool. I wouldn't copy everything exactly, for obvious reasons, but there are so many stories, so much video, and the charm of our band members speaking in the same manner they did between songs, would make for an awesome show.

This also would be a great way to handle the Mick Taylor era. The Eagles brought back Bernie and he was on stage for some songs and not on stage for other songs. It all worked quite nice especially how they told the stories of the band forming from the beginning and what some of the songs were about. Very intimate, and that it rocked.

Date: February 7, 2014 16:57

MizzAmandaJonez
I was at that show at the forum, they made that into the nicest big barn in the country, IMO.

I've seen the stones 60+ times, I've seen the Eagles 15 times, both since the early 70s.

I totally agree with HB.

The way the Eagles did the show was super cool. I wouldn't copy everything exactly, for obvious reasons, but there are so many stories, so much video, and the charm of our band members speaking in the same manner they did between songs, would make for an awesome show.

This also would be a great way to handle the Mick Taylor era. The Eagles brought back Bernie and he was on stage for some songs and not on stage for other songs. It all worked quite nice especially how they told the stories of the band forming from the beginning and what some of the songs were about. Very intimate, and that it rocked.

you said it better than I - just what i was thinking smiling smiley

Posted by: flashhh ()
Date: February 7, 2014 16:57

Nice review. They are very good in concert.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: February 7, 2014 17:04

The Stones wouldn't have to sit down and reminisce every evening. Just play the music in a different manner. Look, maybe it wouldn't work every night, especially in those places in the world where they haven't experienced a Stones concert yet. It could be a one off, or a few nights, event, to be filmed and sold as a DVD. It would appease many fans clamoring for something like this who have given up on seeing them live because of lack of novelty. I know it will never happen, but it would be the only thing to look forward. Otherwise many fans have simply checked out.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1894
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home