Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT - The History Of The Eagles
Posted by: lapaz62 ()
Date: January 14, 2014 12:53

Don't know if this Doco has been talked about before, if it had I didn't see it, anyhow what and absolute Dick Glenn Frey looked like, 2 possible 3 members left almost entirely because of him but in his eyes it was all for the Band, even though all the arguments were with him, never Henley. Leadon, Felder and Meisner all left after arguments with him. Its funny how this happens in so many bands, one or two take over and ruin it for the rest, if you don't want other band members go solo but when they do it never works as a solo act.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-15 07:16 by lapaz62.

Re: OT The History Of The Eagles
Posted by: jammingedward ()
Date: January 14, 2014 13:39

It's very rare that I end up liking a band LESS after seeing a good documentary about them, but boy are they an unlikeable, humourless bunch of guys- especially Henley, Frey and Felder.

Posted by: Wroclaw ()
Date: January 14, 2014 14:07

I just put this here:

(BTW: ran a search on 3 other names of musicians that are not exactly ... well: he's the only one that ends up getting these google suggestions...).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-14 14:14 by Wroclaw.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: January 14, 2014 15:25

Yeah, I was thinking about going to see them again, but after reading Felder's book, which I kind of took with a grain of salt as being one person's opinion, I was a little down on them anyway, but Frey confirnmed a lot of that possibly unintentionally, so held onto my money and passed on them.

Still like their music, most of the pre-Hotel California stuff really, but not the current configuration of the band as much especially after seeing the documentary and reading Felder's book.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: January 14, 2014 15:36

this was the big revelation for me that it was glenn frey that was the jerk .not don henley

Posted by: Long John Stoner ()
Date: January 14, 2014 15:40

It's funny. I've seen Henley solo probably 8 or 9 times going back to the early 80's. Every time a great show. I saw Glenn Frey solo once when he was riding his wave of popularity due to Miami Vice. Very boring show. That said, I feel no need, no pull, no anything to go see a full on Eagles show. In my opinion, Henley is the talent there. Frey's lucky he met Henley along the way.

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: January 14, 2014 18:04

dirty laundry

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: January 14, 2014 18:17

Yeah, well, I'd still listen to their classic stuff and attend a concert (If I was somehow able to get free tickets) this year. As long as Henley and Frey are the leads, I don't care who's with them.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: January 14, 2014 18:28

Posted by: mighty stork ()
Date: January 14, 2014 18:40

I only saw them live once and that was when they opened for the Stones in Milwaukee in 1975 with Joe Walsh as a "special guest".

I liked their early stuff but found them to be rather boring later in the bands career. I actually fell asleep while trying to watch the video "When Hell Freezes Over". When ever I see them it seems the only one trying to have fun is Joe Walsh.

Posted by: gimmelittledrink ()
Date: January 14, 2014 18:49

Joe Walsh is the only reason to even think about seeing the Eagles.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: January 14, 2014 19:39

I was never an Eagles fan which was why I never watched the documentary for a while. Just didn't think I could sit through a 3 hour documentary about a band I had no interest in. Basically, I ended up finally watching the thing last October or so and got hooked. Loved the documentary, bought all of their albums, and was in a serious Eagles mode for about a month. Turns out they did have some really great music, although I still never thought they were as good as everyone said.

The documentary was very well done. You have to applaud them for being brutally honest which, for a person that wasn't a fan, makes it a hell of a lot more fun to watch. Don and Glenn are huge dicks, but Glenn especially comes off horrible. I did initially think it was Henley that did all the dick stuff but apparently it seems he's persuaded by Frey who really has the @#$%& ideas. I don't agree with their view at all that they should get paid more because they are founding members, but apparently others disagree.

Oh well. If they toured as Henley, Frey, Felder, Meisner and Walsh I would definitely pay to see them nowadays. Don't have as much interest with Schmidt and no Felder, and apparently Meisner is in poor health which is sad to hear. Well done documentary though and regardless of everything I think of them, I had a pretty fun month getting to know their stuff. They have just enough material that its not overwhelming to get into.

Posted by: birdie ()
Date: January 15, 2014 03:16

Long John Stoner
It's funny. I've seen Henley solo probably 8 or 9 times going back to the early 80's. Every time a great show. I saw Glenn Frey solo once when he was riding his wave of popularity due to Miami Vice. Very boring show. That said, I feel no need, no pull, no anything to go see a full on Eagles show. In my opinion, Henley is the talent there. Frey's lucky he met Henley along the way.

Saw them this past November at MSG. Fantastic concert covering their entire career. Probably the best sounding concert I've been to also. And say what you want about Frey, but he is extremely talented. His songs I feel define the Eagles true sound! Henley great too!

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: January 15, 2014 03:37

birdie
Long John Stoner

Saw them this past November at MSG. Fantastic concert covering their entire career. Probably the best sounding concert I've been to also. And say what you want about Frey, but he is extremely talented. His songs I feel define the Eagles true sound! Henley great too!
I just had this exact conversation with someone last week and I was arguing the Long John Stoner side. But yeah, my friend was basically like "as much as you may think, you can't have the Eagles without Glenn Frey".

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: January 15, 2014 04:04

TheGreek
this was the big revelation for me that it was glenn frey that was the jerk .not don henley

Same here.

Date: January 15, 2014 07:15

crholmstrom
TheGreek

Same here.

Maybe Henley just let Frey do the dirty work, although David Geffen spoke highly of Henley, called him a chronic malcontent or something very similar.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: January 15, 2014 19:09

lapaz62
crholmstrom
TheGreek

Same here.

Maybe Henley just let Frey do the dirty work, although David Geffen spoke highly of Henley, called him a chronic malcontent or something very similar.
i might have to rethink my feelings about david geffen

Re: OT - The History Of The Eagles
Posted by: 2000man ()
Date: January 15, 2014 19:19

Not a fan of their music, but I enjoyed the documentary.

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: January 15, 2014 19:35

Kick 'em when they're up, kick 'em when they're down

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: January 15, 2014 22:59

From what I gather their manager had a lot to do with how Henley and Frey ran things.

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: January 15, 2014 23:26

Seeing them next week for the first time ever...was a fan way back in the beginning when I was a kid, but grew tired of them by Hotel California ("New Kid In Town" drove me crazy being overplayed on the radio!).

Definitely have my favorite songs and am looking forward to seeing Joe Walsh for the first time...bummed about the whole Don Felder fiasco and would have liked to see him there, too, trading licks with Joe - but at least Bernie Leadon will be along for his share of tunes.

Not a fan of Henley or Frey personally, but I put it aside for the music.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: January 16, 2014 01:37

One of the few big bands that I have managed not to see. Maybe when I look at their setlist I might change my mind at the last minute and go, but most likely not...we'll see.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: January 16, 2014 05:30

kovach
From what I gather their manager had a lot to do with how Henley and Frey ran things.

Their manager is a monster. Not in a good way.

Date: January 16, 2014 07:48

I felt a bit sorry for Don Felder, Joe Walsh gets too much guitar credit when Felder played most of the solo's and co-wrote many of their better songs.

Date: January 16, 2014 08:19

Interesting video of Don Felder showing what guitars, effects and amps he uses. His 59 Les Paul re-issue looks great, must start saving.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-16 08:21 by lapaz62.

Date: January 16, 2014 08:39

Don Felder clear's up a few things on the Artie Lange Show.

Date: January 16, 2014 08:40

Posted by: MizzAmandaJonez ()
Date: January 16, 2014 10:37

Just got back from the opening night of the tour, and the reopening of The Forum in LA. Apparently the Madison Square Garden Corp bought the place and put in $100m in new seats, floor, sound system, lighting, etc. It was like a new building, and the sound was as good as any large arena I’ve seen a show at. Would be a great place for the Stones to do a stand, and I’m guessing that’s in the cards down the road at some point.

I’ve seen The Eagles about 10x, from all the way back to it being it being my first concert ever at the Arie Crown Theater in Chicago in the early 70s.
They started with “Saturday Night” and went into “Train leaves here this Morning”, “Peaceful Easy Feeling”, “Witchy Woman”, and “Doolin-Dalton”, stopping to explain something about each song and what was happening in the band when they were doing these songs. That was a cool touch, and made the beginning of the show somewhat intimate.

Bernie Leadon came on stage after a couple songs and stayed for the first set, which was interesting, and he sounded great. I don’t believe he has played with them much lately, and I don’t ever recall seeing him on stage.

Bernie wasn’t there for the second set, which made me think of how the Stones are dealing with Mick Taylor these days. I kept thinking, “What’s Bernie thinking” when he was not on stage, and in a sad way it reminded me of Mick Taylor. Let’s hope they let him out of the cage a bit more in 2014, as like Bernie, he adds to the dynamics and sound of the band on stage. He did come back for “Take it Easy” during an encore, and I wondered what was he doing for the past 90 minutes?

As has been the case for the past several times I’ve seen them, Joe Walsh was the highlight of the show. “in the City” and “Fink 49” were very good, and “Life’s been good”, as overplayed as that song has been, is still refreshing watching a character like Joe sing and play it.

In my opinion, the ego’s of Frey and Henley are so huge, and obvious on stage, it takes away from the show, unfortunately. It made me laugh when the crowd gave Joe Walsh the largest ovations, and during his songs the crowd seemed more into it than the other songs. At one point between songs Frey instructed the audience to sit down during ballads as he apparently noticed the three or ten women, out of the 8K people on the floor, standing and dancing slowly to a ballad. I’ve never heard an artist tell anyone in a crowd to sit down. It was ackward.

You can Google the 2013 set lists and that was pretty much the show I saw. If you have never seen them, and you like their music, it’s worth seeing them hands down. I bought a front row side stage seat the day of the show for $150 and felt it was worth the effort. I also had 8th row but everyone sat down most of the show, and I was on the floor a bit, but let my clients have those seats as I preferred the ones on the side.

They’ve slowed down a bit, as is evident in the pace of the show and set list, and in the playing of more slow songs, and the lack of fast numbers back to back, but all in all, it was a good show.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-16 10:40 by MizzAmandaJonez.

Date: January 16, 2014 11:10

MizzAmandaJonez
Just got back from the opening night of the tour, and the reopening of The Forum in LA. Apparently the Madison Square Garden Corp bought the place and put in $100m in new seats, floor, sound system, lighting, etc. It was like a new building, and the sound was as good as any large arena I’ve seen a show at. Would be a great place for the Stones to do a stand, and I’m guessing that’s in the cards down the road at some point.

I’ve seen The Eagles about 10x, from all the way back to it being it being my first concert ever at the Arie Crown Theater in Chicago in the early 70s.
They started with “Saturday Night” and went into “Train leaves here this Morning”, “Peaceful Easy Feeling”, “Witchy Woman”, and “Doolin-Dalton”, stopping to explain something about each song and what was happening in the band when they were doing these songs. That was a cool touch, and made the beginning of the show somewhat intimate.

Bernie Leadon came on stage after a couple songs and stayed for the first set, which was interesting, and he sounded great. I don’t believe he has played with them much lately, and I don’t ever recall seeing him on stage.

Bernie wasn’t there for the second set, which made me think of how the Stones are dealing with Mick Taylor these days. I kept thinking, “What’s Bernie thinking” when he was not on stage, and in a sad way it reminded me of Mick Taylor. Let’s hope they let him out of the cage a bit more in 2014, as like Bernie, he adds to the dynamics and sound of the band on stage. He did come back for “Take it Easy” during an encore, and I wondered what was he doing for the past 90 minutes?

As has been the case for the past several times I’ve seen them, Joe Walsh was the highlight of the show. “in the City” and “Fink 49” were very good, and “Life’s been good”, as overplayed as that song has been, is still refreshing watching a character like Joe sing and play it.

In my opinion, the ego’s of Frey and Henley are so huge, and obvious on stage, it takes away from the show, unfortunately. It made me laugh when the crowd gave Joe Walsh the largest ovations, and during his songs the crowd seemed more into it than the other songs. At one point between songs Frey instructed the audience to sit down during ballads as he apparently noticed the three or ten women, out of the 8K people on the floor, standing and dancing slowly to a ballad. I’ve never heard an artist tell anyone in a crowd to sit down. It was ackward.

You can Google the 2013 set lists and that was pretty much the show I saw. If you have never seen them, and you like their music, it’s worth seeing them hands down. I bought a front row side stage seat the day of the show for $150 and felt it was worth the effort. I also had 8th row but everyone sat down most of the show, and I was on the floor a bit, but let my clients have those seats as I preferred the ones on the side.

They’ve slowed down a bit, as is evident in the pace of the show and set list, and in the playing of more slow songs, and the lack of fast numbers back to back, but all in all, it was a good show.

clearly you haven't followed the eagles in awhile. bernie leadon has played all shows of THE HISTORY OF THE EAGLES tour so far which started in the summer of 2013 and is scheduled to play in all the shows on the tour, i believe 82 in all have been scheduled since last summer . he has done the same thing the entire tour. comes on stage after the opening songs, plays the entire 1st set, leaves on the 2nd set. the reason is the 2nd set is comprised entirely of songs written after bernie left the band. bernie rejoins the band for the final encore.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-16 11:11 by keefriffhard4life.

Date: January 16, 2014 12:30

Saw this thread and thought it was going to be a celebration of that doc. Like someone said: it is rare that I end up liking a band even less after watching a full fledged career doc on them.
Frey and Henley are total dicks, and they deserve whiny Felder. Seems they did quite a number on Leadon and Meisner. Schmidt makes sense. My girlfriend kept laughing at him: "what's with his voice? And does he keep writing that same song again and again?" Yes: Joe Walsh is the only hi point.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1158
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home