Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Lost Stones Gigs
Posted by: sdstonesguy ()
Date: January 8, 2014 23:42

Long story short, I became pretty aware of Mandrake's in Berkeley, CA after talking with my step-father about going there in 1969. This place really had incredible shows almost every night for about a 4 year run. I stumbled upon a woman who says she worked there & certainly knew A LOT about the place. She claims The Rolling Stones had rented out the venue one night after the actors left (acting during the day, music at night), dressed in stage clothes & played. The woman who owned the place knew quite a few people, and Mandrake's became a place where people wanted to play. Anything is possible.

Oh, this would have been right around Halloween 1969. Date wise, this would work out & would be in the correct general location (western US).

Anyone know of other "lost" Stones gigs? No doubt there are more than a couple...but I thought some folks here might like to hear about this one.

Here is what that women wrote about it:
You wouldn't believe me if I told you the name of the really famous rock group who rented Mandrake's one fall night for a rehearsal/private party. They performed, but weren't ever listed as one of the performing acts.

The Bay Area was rich in music, and Berkeley shared in the bounty. Name that band? Well, ok ..... They rented the place when the Magic Theater was putting on a triology of plays on Friday nights ("Supersargeant", "The Teddy Bear Picnic", and "Spider Rabbit"). The band even got onstage themselves for a few numbers and had borrowed bits and pieces of costumes from the theatrical "wardrobe room" (a small trunk upstairs pushed into the corner to make room for the sound and lights table). So they performed "incognito." Honest! (Not a word to any one now ... the Stones!)

think they were hanging out in the Bay Area quite often at that time, and this wasn't a formal rehearsal by any stretch of the imagination. Just something to do. The Magic Theater were performing at Mandrake's regularly every week for a number of weeks. The time frame had to be around Halloween as I and another waitress borrowed some of their greasepaint for facial decoration for our "costumes" for the Commander Cody show which was also Halloween (ed. note—the Stones’ 69 American tour began on November 7, 1969, so Halloween would have been just before the tour began).

Check out the bands that played here & when at the bottom of this site:
[www.chickenonaunicycle.com]

Re: Lost Stones Gigs
Posted by: tornnfrayed ()
Date: January 9, 2014 04:20

Could be possible. I think when the Stones were in SF in 72 they caught an Isley Bros show in Oakland. But we don't hear much about that.

Posted by: pike bishop ()
Date: January 9, 2014 14:16

Great,Commander Cody and his Lost Planet Airmen are mentioned on a Stones blog site.One hell of a terrific and talented band.

Posted by: GOO ()
Date: January 9, 2014 15:17

Never happened

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: January 9, 2014 20:25

What about the one on "The Wonder Years" a few years ago? confused smiley

[www.imdb.com]

[veehd.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-09 20:27 by Elmo Lewis.

Date: January 10, 2014 21:48

I think there was a Stones show on 90210 too at some point. In fact, I think I read about it here.

I am going to go with the Mandrake's thing is real. That place just had so many people play there the Stones would have loved, it would make sense they would play there if in town/had the chance.

I am a bit surprised there are no stories here of other "lost" gigs. Maybe there were fewer than I supposed, or perhaps they are all indeed lost. With all the private gigs they have done over the last decade or so, it just seemed more would be out there.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: January 11, 2014 01:12

sdstonesguy
I think there was a Stones show on 90210 too at some point. In fact, I think I read about it here.

The footage used on Beverly Hills 90210 - passed off as a gig at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena - comes from the home video shot at Giants Stadium in August 1994 that was available to buy at the Voodoo Lounge shows. From memory they used film of 'Not Fade Away' and 'You Got Me Rocking'. YGMR is the same performance source as the promo video for the single.

Date: January 11, 2014 02:06

Gazza
sdstonesguy

The footage used on Beverly Hills 90210 - passed off as a gig at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena - comes from the home video shot at Giants Stadium in August 1994 that was available to buy at the Voodoo Lounge shows. From memory they used film of 'Not Fade Away' and 'You Got Me Rocking'. YGMR is the same performance source as the promo video for the single.

Hard to beat that. I was in the commercial for the Best Buy 4 Flicks DVD. The models were not in position when I got front row Keef side at Ahoy, and thus was in front of the camera. They had me sign some waiver and the main models were in position. It was fun seeing my mug on a national commercial though...for my favorite band. That female model was quite friendly too...I wonder what she is up to...

Posted by: HEILOOBAAS ()
Date: January 11, 2014 04:21

tornnfrayed
Could be possible. I think when the Stones were in SF in 72 they caught an Isley Bros show in Oakland. But we don't hear much about that.

They did. The highlight of the evening was Keith nearly crashing into Jo Bergman at The Trident in Sausalito, Marin County.

He was so much more fun on heroin.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2157
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home