Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Did the Stones never have a Christmas song?
Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: December 25, 2013 08:34

Probably old news and old topic to many here, but seeing as it is Christmas, I was wondering if the Stones ever did a Christmas song? The closest I can think of is Keith's Run Run Rudolph, but I was curious if anything Christmas-y was ever released as "The Rolling Stones"? Or did Mick have one solo like Keith?

Not meant to be a discussion about whether people think rock bands doing Christmas songs are hokey or not. Just looking through my list I have in iTunes and realizing nearly everyone had one but the Stones (to my knowledge). Not necessarily bad, but surprised me. Is this right?

Re: Did the Stones never have a Christmas song?
Date: December 25, 2013 08:40

Also, I'm a HUGE Their Satanic Majesties Request fan, so I do know about Cosmic Christmas, but I meant more of a traditional type radio song they might have. Just squashing that reply which I figured was bound to happen!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 25, 2013 08:41

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 25, 2013 08:43

...okay okay 1 second ....

ROCKMAN

Date: December 25, 2013 08:47

Rockman
...okay okay 1 second ....
I expected it! And technically it is a correct answer, so I'll see if there are any PAST this.

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: December 25, 2013 15:12

Posted by: Lacride ()
Date: December 25, 2013 16:35

Hi, IORR community!

Winter ain't no Chrismas song, but its lyrics evokes it:

Yeah, and I wish I'd been out in Stony Canyon
When the lights on all the Christmas trees went out
But I been burnin' my bell, book and candle
And the restoration plays have all gone 'round

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 25, 2013 16:36

Mick'n'Joss

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: December 25, 2013 17:18

Lacride
Hi, IORR community!

Winter ain't no Chrismas song, but its lyrics evokes it:

Yeah, and I wish I'd been out in Stony Canyon
When the lights on all the Christmas trees went out
But I been burnin' my bell, book and candle
And the restoration plays have all gone 'round

Great Song!

And a 12 minute version

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-12-25 17:34 by 2000 LYFH.

Re: Winter . the long version
Posted by: Witness ()
Date: December 25, 2013 20:11

{I am glad that the Stones never did one as such stated Christmas song.]

However, as to what made me enter this thread;

Wow! I had never heard the long version of "Winter". Neither, do I know if it originates from exactly the same time as the standard verston, or from a later date, when possibly Mick Taylor no longer was a member of the band. The following, in condition that he still was:

For some time I have thought that "Winter" is preceded on GOATS HEAD SOUP by a couple of songs that make that album fall from ,the level of the first five songs, Paradoxially for the song that "Winter" is, without "Winter" itself being able to lift that album, and where I have said that "Can't You Hear the Music" and "Starf-cker" do quite better in that respect, As a consequence, I have hypothetically remarked that "Winter" ought to have been made a single.

By the way, the discussion in another thread (track discussion for "Moonlight Mile" ) dwells, in my reading of it, upon the side issue of what could or should be a basis for composer's credit. This long verion might provide some fresh food for thought to that question of the discussion,

Now hearing the long version, I don't know have many posters here had before this, two possiblities emerge, I repeat, hypothetically, One would have been to release the long version as a single A-side, even if had meant that the band would have had to invent the maxi-single. (I must admit, I don't know when maxi-aingles came about.) However, another possibility, provided that the dates are the same, could, once again hypothetically, have been to let the long version of "Winter" replace the three first songs om side B of the vinyl album. in case, possibly by letting "Starf-cker" and "Can't You Hear the Music" start Side B, Then the long verdion of "Winter" might have finished a changed and possibly bettered GOATS HEAD SOUP.

Maybe I would have preferred the maxi-single alternative.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-12-25 20:15 by Witness.

Re: Winter . the long version
Posted by: rumple21 ()
Date: December 26, 2013 03:30

Methinks the 12 minute version is the Goats Head Soup track plus the Mick Taylor soloing part of the Carla Olson version. Found on her 'Truth' album.
A poor join-splice as well.

Date: December 26, 2013 04:53

Bad bad edit - the Stones never put out an extended version of Winter.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1660
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home