Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Disaster Relief
Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: November 17, 2013 13:43

Earlier I posted a link to the Red Cross in regards to the Philippines disaster. Here is another relief organization. Mercy Corps is based in Portland, OR & is very highly regarded. Unlike the Red Cross, you can designate that your contribution goes only to the Philippines effort. Please help if you can! The situation is dire.
[www.mercycorps.org]

Re: OT: Disaster Relief
Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: November 18, 2013 02:56

The Red Cross does have a link for sending money specifically to the Typhoon Appeal:

Typhoon Appeal

Either organization is worthy of as much help as they can get, though.

Date: November 18, 2013 13:15

Aquamarine
The Red Cross does have a link for sending money specifically to the Typhoon Appeal:

Typhoon Appeal

Either organization is worthy of as much help as they can get, though.

Thank you. I did not see that link when I was researching charities. I don't think there is such thing as too much attention in regards to this.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 19, 2013 00:09

ROCKMAN

Date: November 19, 2013 11:43

Thanks, Rockman. Due to the nature of the Philippines, the full extent of the tragedy won't be known for some time. This is just tip of the iceberg. I've seen photos (which I won't post here) of mass graves being filled. My heart goes out to these people.

Posted by: owlbynite ()
Date: November 20, 2013 08:42

Now another disaster in the Midwest, also! eye rolling smiley

Date: November 20, 2013 15:10

owlbynite

Those storms were of record breaking intensity too. Methinks someone is trying to tell us something. Prayers out to those folks too.

Date: November 21, 2013 08:30

crholmstrom
owlbynite

Those storms were of record breaking intensity too. Methinks someone is trying to tell us something. Prayers out to those folks too.

yes, many destitute. somebody trying to red-flag us. prayers to all. be kind. sad smiley

Posted by: Bellajane ()
Date: November 24, 2013 20:19

The hospital where I work has had an ongoing bake sale for several days to raise money for the Philippines. We recruit a lot of Filipino nurses from there. I doubt this would happen....a complete pipedream really...but it would be nice if the Rolling Stones could do a concert, much like the one they did in 1973 for the Nicaraguan earthquake victims, when they resume their tour in a few months. I know that Jagger had a personal interest back then, but still, the band will be touring the Pacific region. Just a thought and a nice goodwill gesture. Hawaii has a large Filipino population..that might be a good place.

Speaking about here in the US...Winter Storm Boreas (when did they start naming these winter storms?) is wreaking havoc in the Rockies and in the southwestern states. I heard that Willie Nelson's tour bus crashed in East Texas. He wasn't on board and only a few people were injured but not seriously, thankfully. It's expected to reach the East Coast on Wednesday. I don't envy anyone travelling home for the holiday at this time. Be safe if you do!smiling smiley

Date: November 24, 2013 20:46

Bellajane
The hospital where I work has had an ongoing bake sale for several days to raise money for the Philippines. We recruit a lot of Filipino nurses from there. I doubt this would happen....a complete pipedream really...but it would be nice if the Rolling Stones could do a concert, much like the one they did in 1973 for the Nicaraguan earthquake victims, when they resume their tour in a few months. I know that Jagger had a personal interest back then, but still, the band will be touring the Pacific region. Just a thought and a nice goodwill gesture. Hawaii has a large Filipino population..that might be a good place.

Speaking about here in the US...Winter Storm Boreas (when did they start naming these winter storms?) is wreaking havoc in the Rockies and in the southwestern states. I heard that Willie Nelson's tour bus crashed in East Texas. He wasn't on board and only a few people were injured but not seriously, thankfully. It's expected to reach the East Coast on Wednesday. I don't envy anyone travelling home for the holiday at this time. Be safe if you do!smiling smiley

I had the same thought about the Stones but I doubt it will happen. Journey gave $350,000 to the cause. I saw on the news this morning by the time the winter storm hits the east coast it probably will have warmed up enough that there won't be much if any snow associated with it.

Posted by: Bellajane ()
Date: November 24, 2013 21:04

Well...let's hope so. I always feel badly for people when they're stranded trying to get home for the Holidays. And for my part, our entire yard is knee-deep with leaves. We've hired people to clean this mess up on Friday. So, I certainly hope this storm misses us (upstate NY) entirely!

Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: November 24, 2013 23:16

As you give, please be mindful:

The 2012 salary for the President of OXFAM America, Raymond Offenheiser, was US$327,192.00.

The 2012 salary for the President & CEO of the American Red Cross, Gail J. McGovern, was US$591,122.00.

The 2012 salary for the President & CEO of United States Funds for UNICEF, Caryl M. Stern, was US$467,463.00.

The 2012 salary of the President of World Vision, Richard E. Stearns, was US$405,975.00.

Source: charitynavigator.org

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: November 25, 2013 00:25

Given those revealing numbers, if you really want to make a difference perhaps it's best to sign up with the Peace Corps and travel to the affected areas to help out firsthand....

....oh, wait, there's probably a president and CEO there as well who also pulls in an obscenely large salary. I'm afraid to look that one up, actually.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 25, 2013 04:20

MILKYWAY

The 2012 salary for the President of OXFAM America, Raymond Offenheiser, was US$327,192.00.

The 2012 salary for the President & CEO of the American Red Cross, Gail J. McGovern, was US$591,122.00.

The 2012 salary for the President & CEO of United States Funds for UNICEF, Caryl M. Stern, was US$467,463.00.

The 2012 salary of the President of World Vision, Richard E. Stearns, was US$405,975.00.

People have to be paid, but this is sickening.

Date: November 25, 2013 10:26

treaclefingers
MILKYWAY

People have to be paid, but this is sickening.

Have heard stats like this before, outrageous. sad smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1621
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home