Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Mick Grammy rehearsal
Posted by: adotulipson ()
Date: February 19, 2011 13:02

a bit more natural than the awards version,nice

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: February 19, 2011 13:11

yah, the fans are ready, so get off your bums guys and rock the world, one final time.
jeroen

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: February 19, 2011 13:15

mtaylor
satisfaction2
Mick is ready (see Grammy show)
Charly is ready (ABC&D shows)
Ron is ready (Faces shows)

why "the hell" the Rolling Stones don`t go on tour this year!

Come on RS, pls go on tour!!!
Daryll is probably also ready.

What about Keith, is he ready?

Daryll's doings doesn't count here. His role - like any back up musician's - is to be ready when he is needed.

The last thing we know about Keith is that he is "rusty". I'm afraid there is more in there, which might be the reason why the other members are relatively active lately. I need to say also that Keith's strong pushing on his autobiography might indicate that perhaps we might not hear much of his musical conributions any more. His last public performance as a musician was with The Crickets two years ago, and that, frankly,sounded awful (even taking some A BIGGER TOUR performances into account).

Of course, we all calculate that the 50s anniversary is a chance the band cannot miss - there is so much money there - but there is a thing called reality out there, and we are talking about guys in their late sixties - who, after all, have relatively long history of professionalism and especially quite strong and stuck ideas what counts a Rolling Stones performance (which, unfortunatley does not quite match with some of their biggest fans, as we know here). They seemingly aren't recuding their spectacle in the last days of their career. I don't know what really is going on behind the curtains. Maybe them don't either. Even if they would love to do it, there might real reasons why it is not possible. Maybe it is wish-wish from also their side if there is huge tour to come or not. I'm afraid that - taking Mick's Grammy performance into account - there is no option between a big scale spectacle tour and nothingness.

The last activities since the 2007 tour The Stones have done together are just PR things and business deals (SHINE A LIGHT premieres, a new record deal, EXILE project, Dressmann deal.). Despite Mick's heavy involment in EXILE, the guys have not found musically anything to with each other. Sound almost like the brand is the only thing that they promote or do these days as a "band".

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-02-19 13:21 by Doxa.

Date: February 19, 2011 13:54

Doxa
. His last public performance as a musician was with The Crickets two years ago, and that, frankly,sounded awful (even taking some A BIGGER TOUR performances into account).

I need to comment my claim here a bit. I rewatched the performance. Maybe the words "sounding awful" are not accurate but more like sounding and looking to struggle there to get anything sensible out of his guitar. It looks like he is really having problems with his fingers, and is careful to not pressing too hard the strings. It does not look 'natural' (watch especially "Not Fade Away" - he seems to touch his the left hand fingers with his lips here and then. It looks like the fingers really hurt). I mean Keith says that "silence is musician's best friend" but I don't think that philosophy is applied on that performance.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-02-19 13:55 by Doxa.

Date: February 19, 2011 14:08

I just don't see it being only in the fingers. As a guitarist myself I know this, - but I am sure many others here, guitar players or not - also know: you can get a lot of expression , and precision, definition out of very little finger action.
One note can go a long way. And I think if Keith's mind was in the right place, he could still deliver the package with his fingers as is.
What he is doing with the Crickets there..is crap. That has nothing to do with hands; that is just merda.
If his hands were hurting so bad, why is he able to trample all over every solo from Ronnie Wood?
I hate to get caught up in this Keith bashing; I was his biggest fan.

Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: February 19, 2011 14:36

Doxa
Doxa
. His last public performance as a musician was with The Crickets two years ago, and that, frankly,sounded awful (even taking some A BIGGER TOUR performances into account).

I need to comment my claim here a bit. I rewatched the performance. Maybe the words "sounding awful" are not accurate but more like sounding and looking to struggle there to get anything sensible out of his guitar. It looks like he is really having problems with his fingers, and is careful to not pressing too hard the strings. It does not look 'natural' (watch especially "Not Fade Away" - he seems to touch his the left hand fingers with his lips here and then. It looks like the fingers really hurt). I mean Keith says that "silence is musician's best friend" but I don't think that philosophy is applied on that performance.

- Doxa

Keith misses the F chord on every "chorus". He also did that in the actual concert. Shouldn't be too hard to figure out, really...

[www.reverbnation.com]

Date: February 19, 2011 14:46

Palace Revolution 2000
I just don't see it being only in the fingers. As a guitarist myself I know this, - but I am sure many others here, guitar players or not - also know: you can get a lot of expression , and precision, definition out of very little finger action.
One note can go a long way. And I think if Keith's mind was in the right place, he could still deliver the package with his fingers as is.
What he is doing with the Crickets there..is crap. That has nothing to do with hands; that is just merda.
If his hands were hurting so bad, why is he able to trample all over every solo from Ronnie Wood?
I hate to get caught up in this Keith bashing; I was his biggest fan.

Yeah, it is difficult to say when the question is of mind or of just physical conditions. Some of it go probably hand in hand (and the result just looks and sounds bad). But since NO SECURITY tour Keith's way to play has changed (in terms of deterioration) quite a lot: less and less notes, less and less straight chords, more and more the same old simple two-three note chuck berry noodlings, and safe and sure open trademark riffs. Before that I could have critizied Keith for deciding how to play, because he had the options and the skills to do almost anything he wanted (in his own scale). But since then I think it is not anymore that of choice but more "what you can play"(to quote Jagger's harsh words to Brian Jones once). Keith's skill as a charismatic performer pretty much compansate or hide his shortcomings as a guitarist, but even there is a limit there. In some nights during A BIGGER BANG that limit surely was crossed. And no matter how much Keith's ass is covered by side-musicians he still has a definitive role in making the bulk of Stones songs work - we are talking about war heroes section here: "Jumpin' Jack", "Satisfaction", "Honky Tonk", "Brown Sugar", "Start Me Up", "Tumblin' Dice" - without Keith's distinguished contribution, there is no point in performing those songs. If he ends up playing like he does with the Crickets here - if that is all he can do - then "Houston, we have a problem", indeed. I'm afraid this is the level of reality we are now dealing with if there will be another Rolling Stones performances or not.

- Doxa

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2011-02-19 15:01 by Doxa.

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: February 19, 2011 15:14

Ouch, the contrast between Keith's performance on this video and Mick's performance at the Grammy's is just stunning. Keith seems awfully tired, confused, and dispirited. Mick pulsates with energy, vitality, and enthusiasm. Mick and Keith, yin and yang (as always), but this time not in a good way.

I love Keith with all my heart, but this is really embarrassing.

Drew

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-02-19 15:18 by drewmaster.

Date: February 19, 2011 16:19

The drummer from Def Leppard lost his arm; a drummer minus one arm; that is about as radical as it can get. yet he continues on. he made it work for him. Granted - age has a LOT to do with it. You're young, more aggressive and hungry - and you find a way to make things work.
That is why I think Keith's state is not of the fingers so much but of the mind. He might be done. He doesn't really want to come right out and say it, maybe not admit it to himself even. Everything he is has been built on his identity as a guitarist.
But everything about his performances of late point to someone who is not really into it.In SAL there is a passage of him strumming an acoustic alone. That may be how he wants to play guitar now: strumming on his own a little.
How long can he keep it up where he is coasting on his reputation alone? It is hard to watch the clips of Buddy Guy e.g who comes on to guest; Buddy is obviously stoked to be playing with Keith and wants to trade some ripping licks. But there is no answer coming from Keith. Keith does the grin, the body language thing, everything except the most important part: the actual guitar lick.
And then Ronnie on the left trying in vain to position himself into the circle..

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: February 19, 2011 17:52

great video!! Mick is exactly right...they made it sound current. The grammy performance should
be released as a single.

Did mick officially switch from Nike shoes to NEW BALANCE?

Mick looks younger with his hair undone.

IORR............but I like it!

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: February 19, 2011 23:12

mick did not have his big thick nikes on in this one judging by that close up of his shoes

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: February 20, 2011 00:16

The band is impressive, and yes, it's obvious Mick is enjoying his time playing with them. THe soul sound is a big part of what inspires him. And about his hair, the reason that it looks different is because he has it tucked behind his ears for his earphones. ( whatever you call the monitors that singers wear so that they can hear themselves better over the noise!).

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: February 20, 2011 00:48

The rehearsal sounds incredible actually. The overall sound of it is fantastic. And that blues at the beginning sounds pretty goddamn good too.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 20, 2011 01:04

Mick's hair-dooo ........eeeerrr maybe he spent the night glued
to thee screen watchin' Javier Bardem bein' a psychopath in No Country For Old Men ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: ineedadrink ()
Date: February 20, 2011 02:11

comparing the keith video to the mick video is not really a fair comparison. mick performed with a tight, young, energetic band. keith is performing with what sounds like a bar band from a senior's home.

Posted by: headly123 ()
Date: February 20, 2011 22:05

Maybe Mick should take that band out on the road instead of Ron and Keith. It would sound better.T

Posted by: sweet things ()
Date: February 24, 2011 18:30

Nice to see the rehearsal stuff

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: February 24, 2011 22:25

Palace Revolution 2000
He doesn't really want to come right out and say it, maybe not admit it to himself even.

I've been saying this for a while now. The fact that Keith still continues to push through and let his limitations take over his playing--instead of actually taking control of it--seems to be more telling. If he only focused on "re-learning" the guitar in this stage of the game, we could possibly get a more consistent Keith on stage. Stick with Open G permanently...hand over all solos to Ronnie...stick to certain guitars that are easy on the hands. There are things that Keith can do to accommodate his problems...but by making any of these changes...he admits that he is not the all-powerful Keith we know of him. In the end, Keith's too proud to admit that his abilities have been compromised by physical issues. Until then, we continue to get below standard playing from our guitar hero.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: February 25, 2011 08:28

>> Am I seeing things, or did it say 'Solomon Burke 1955-2010' in this video? <<

those are the years he was active musically

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1389
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home