Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Semi-OT : How Do You Save Recorded Video Nowadays?
Posted by: schillid ()
Date: February 16, 2011 02:49

Suppose there's a TV show on that you'd like to record and save for posterity.

In the old days, you used tape (possibly VHS) to record shows. But nowadays, the shows are HD and it is recorded on a DDR... probably inside the cable box. There is no easy way to make yourself an archive dvd with shows that you've recorded.

To do it, I use a combination of Hauppauge hardware, Elgato software; the Motorola cable box to record the HD to a Mac... where I can make a CD or DVD. But it ain't easy.

thoughts?

Re: Semi-OT : How Do You Save Recorded Video Nowadays?
Posted by: cc ()
Date: February 16, 2011 06:01

I have no real TV recording setup, or even a TV of my own, so I would search online for some kind soul who's done the kind of recording you describe and then uploaded it either to the newsgroups or the torrents.

Posted by: CrissCrossMind ()
Date: February 16, 2011 06:26

I record my Super VHS Tapes onto DVD -R's. It doesn't look too bad. I have a Super VHS Video Tape of a Japanese Laser Disc of the long version of Wim Wender's masterpiece, "UNTIL THE END OF THE WORLD" (which has never been released on DVD in the USA). So the Super VHS is at 480 lines I believe and then the DVD player doubles it (Progressive Scan) to close to 1080. Sure, it doesn't look as good as something shot in HD and put out on Blu-ray but for a film that came out in 1991 it sure looks good. BTW, if you go on YouTube Sheryl Crows new video "SIGN YOUR NAME" (old TTD'Arby song) looks amazing if you set it to 1080 and have a HD computer screen, just amazing clarity. Maybe I'll put it up (but you must set it at 1080p and do a FULL SCREEN for full impact)

SHERYL CROW - SIGN YOUR NAME (High Definition)

Hmmm, might have to go over to YouTube to do the HD settings, not sure

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 16, 2011 06:41

...still tryin' to preserve history by doin' decent cave-paintings.....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: February 16, 2011 09:01

When my wife discovered 300 VHS-cassettes with "treasures" from TV she told the natural dilemma with Big Leg Emma: Me or them, your choice...I have no VHS-cassettes since then...smiling smiley

2 1 2 0

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2186
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home