Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Is Mick cool again?
Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: February 16, 2011 07:20

Mick always stays fresh. He doesn't run out of juice. He doesn't let the power run dry. He doesn't make a fool of himself or let his tongue hang too loose. He stays out of range to survive.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 16, 2011 07:29

Cooler than dry ice ....... And ya can't touch him ....

ROCKMAN

Date: February 16, 2011 08:10

Every woman that he's lovin'. She's gotta have that sense of style. All the men loe that aggression. They wanna walk that extra mile.

Posted by: gypsy18 ()
Date: February 16, 2011 09:49

ineedadrink
mick is too corporate/business-like to be cool.

If not for Mick's business acumen, Keith wouldn't have been able to be "the cool one" because he'd have been too broke to buy his way out of a stiff prison sentence.

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: February 16, 2011 10:11

I think there has been a major shift. Mick is now an elder statesman of rock, part of our heritage. And he and Charlie play the part very well, by being dignified (not embarrassing themselves or their fans with terrible behaviour, noticeably bad performances or looking awful) , diplomatic, and importantly, looking very elegant and stylish. Frank Sinatra did the same.

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: February 16, 2011 11:38

To me he's always been cool, even in things like 'Running Out Of Luck' & 'The Nightingale', but when I was raving over his Grammys performance on FaceBook a couple of days back several people there (young & old) couldn't understand the fuss & obviously didn't agree...

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: February 16, 2011 12:42

No, i prefer Ronnie and charlie
jeroen

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: February 16, 2011 13:08

treaclefingers
Mick was never not cool. OK, maybe during the 'Lets Work' video.

I'm afraid you're in a world of your own if you believe that. I only need to ask my daughter - 22 yrs - and I get a reality check. Mick was a joke, along with Bill and his 1000 girls esp Mandy Smith

Keith and Ronnie were co-dependants

Charlie - now he's always been cool

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: February 16, 2011 15:16

He's about as uncool as you could be to the younger generation

Keef on the otherhand ...

Posted by: cc ()
Date: February 16, 2011 16:57

Bliss
I think there has been a major shift. Mick is now an elder statesman of rock, part of our heritage. And he and Charlie play the part very well, by being dignified (not embarrassing themselves or their fans with terrible behaviour, noticeably bad performances or looking awful) , diplomatic, and importantly, looking very elegant and stylish. Frank Sinatra did the same.

wasn't Sinatra considered, by everyone besides his entourage, a major a-hole?

Date: February 16, 2011 17:04

Yes, and Mick and Keith are considered the same by anyone who was burned by them. All part of the price of being ruthless and staying on top.

Date: February 16, 2011 17:11

I think Brian will always be the coolest to many youngsters, for the simple reason that he died young & beautiful. Few teenagers would consider anyone pushing 70 to be "cool"...

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: February 16, 2011 17:21

I don't think that we are talking about him being cool to teens. Its the 30's and 40's year olds that his stature is questioned. The older 40 and up crowd has already established their opinion of him regardless of the Grammys. The either like him or dislike him for whatever reasons long ago established.

His coolness is can he perform and sing and not look like Dylan. Now there is the real contrast from the Grammys.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: February 16, 2011 17:25

The younger generations' opinions mean nothing. They don't even know what real musicians do. Look at what they like. The think the Black Eyed Peas are relevant. There's a ton more crap out now then there was 20 or 30 years ago and it's accessible the easiest ever now and will be for quite some time.

A majority of the real music loving fans, and even regardless of age, in the world know what good music is, what real music is. There is no reason to wonder if Mick is cool again, something that has never gone away.

Well, there was that Let's Work thing...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-02-16 17:28 by skipstone.

Date: February 16, 2011 17:25

The Sicilian
His coolness is can he perform and sing and not look like Dylan.

If that was the only factor then everyone would consider Cliff Richard cool too...

I think someone well passed their prime musically & physically can still be cool to many (Johnny Cash was a good example).

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: February 16, 2011 17:39

Sleepy City
I think Brian will always be the coolest to many youngsters, for the simple reason that he died young & beautiful. Few teenagers would consider anyone pushing 70 to be "cool"...

Of course. It's not cool to do what Mick does at the Grammys. Keith was cool in the 70s, Brian is always cool. Mick? Dont know if he ever was cool really. 1975? Bill was cool all the time.

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: February 16, 2011 18:44

MICK JAGGER IS..COOLER THAN COOL..smoking smiley

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: February 16, 2011 19:49

Bill was cool all the time.

Now that's funny!
The coolest man ever!

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: February 16, 2011 20:02

Not as cool as Fonzie!

Posted by: RSbestbandever ()
Date: February 16, 2011 20:30

rumple21
Keith's book certainly went into detail about his relationship with Jagger, and to be honest Jagger comes out of it as a hero as far as holding the band together is concerned. The petty sniping in 'Life' shows Keith in a poor light. by pulling his mask away it shows the advancing years have brought inevitable maturity without worldy wisdom. This light on Keith's character has dramatically lowered his 'coolness'rating. While the adversity to which Jagger was subjected to over the years by his 'band-mate?' and his unwillingness to respond in kind has definitely allowed his 'coolness' rating to rise.

Very valid points.

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: February 17, 2011 00:01

lem motlow
exhpart
treaclefingers
Mick was never not cool. OK, maybe during the 'Lets Work' video.

I'm afraid you're in a world of your own if you believe that. I only need to ask my daughter - 22 yrs - and I get a reality check. Mick was a joke, along with Bill and his 1000 girls esp Mandy Smith

Keith and Ronnie were co-dependants

Charlie - now he's always been cool

$1 billion in concert tickets and 200 million records sold over nearly 50 yrs tells me treaclefingers has a few friends in that 'world of his own" ?
the only person here thats really in a world of their own is the dumbass who gets a " reality check" from his 22 year old daughter.

>grinning smiley<

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: February 17, 2011 00:05

uncool is the new cool

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: February 17, 2011 00:07

Actually, Bill is very cool. He is incredibly productive, multi-dimensional, and extremely happy with his life and comfortable in is own skin.

He's written a number of diverse books, pursued photography, invented a metal detector, run a few restaurants, tours and records with his own band, and started a family of 3 children late in life.

Posted by: gypsy18 ()
Date: February 17, 2011 00:29

I don't get the Brian cool thing b/c he was a short, paranoid little asthmatic with a Napoleon Complex who beat up on women, impregnated them and left them without a care, and couldn't handle his mud.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: February 17, 2011 00:54

....well truth be told...KR biography didn't exactly hit it's intended target did it?....KR is the one that is worse for wear and has helped make Mick a more sympathetic figure

Posted by: Brue ()
Date: February 17, 2011 01:24

skipstone
The younger generations' opinions mean nothing. They don't even know what real musicians do. Look at what they like. The think the Black Eyed Peas are relevant. There's a ton more crap out now then there was 20 or 30 years ago and it's accessible the easiest ever now and will be for quite some time.

Quit yer cryin skippy. Now here's some hard-hitting nonsense - 'There's a ton more crap out now then there was 20 or 30 years ago and it's accessible the easiest ever now and will be for quite some time.' Yeah and most of it is on internet message boards.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: February 17, 2011 01:30

Mick has always been cool to me except around 85-88 and that is publicly when he took a beating as well. He seems to have been on the upswing in the public persona for the last 10 years or so.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: February 17, 2011 01:37

I agree. I agree with it (a) personally, (b) checking the opinions of IORR people, (c) checking the "atmosphere" over-all by the media and the general public.

And this is totally contrast to the decreasing "coolness" of Keith Richards.

I think almost radical change has occurred during the last decade or so. I sensed the change already occurring during A BIGGER BANG tour here at IORR when people really starred appreciating Jagger's unique contribution. Before that Mick was taken somehow for granted and Keith, no matter what he did, was always the number one and "hero" by the fans. As far as the big media goes, Jagger's been out of tabloids for many years now - he only appears when he is doing something professional - and this seems to work for him. Keith, by contrary, burns the candle from the other end, and to my ears is doing his own version of Ozzy Osbourne celebrityness, which, of course, will cost a lot of in imagewise. But it is hsi own image "Keef" is milking out (Personally, I don't like even to look any other Keith Richards interview any longer. Just had enough of that juvenile talk. 40 kilos, 70 years old, spoiled pop star, surrounded by bodygoards, showing the blade. Tough guy, huh?). Putting his wagon next to Johnny Depp, and that's cool, right? Yeah yeah...

It is funny that Keith's LIFE maybe more than anything ever has gained more sympathy and sense of solidarity among the Rolling Stones fans towards Jagger... (and if we look the posts here at IORR five years ago, there was nothing that kind of negative sentiments towards Keith as it is now... it is quite radical change, actually.)

- Doxa

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: February 17, 2011 01:59

Doxa
It is funny that Keith's LIFE maybe more than anything ever has gained more sympathy and sense of solidarity among the Rolling Stones fans towards Jagger... (and if we look the posts here at IORR five years ago, there was nothing that kind of negative sentiments towards Keith as it is now... it is quite radical change, actually.)

- Doxa

Or perhaps for many of us, we always knew what a closet narcissist Keef could be, and after years and years of reading his comments, many of us now have a forum to vent some of the things that have pissed us off as Stones fans for decades.
I noticed that in people's reactions to Anita and Marianne. WHere before, I saw them as sacred cows in Stonesdom, and felt that I was somehow uncool to make a critical judgement.
I got my first introduction to Keith's BS after reading the Barbara Charone book, which was written in 79. And since, have always had a soft spot for Jagger because of the book's blatant bias against him. That book was a travesty. It mocked everything about Jagger. But without a community of Stones fans around me, I was just a fan who loved the music, loved Keith as a musican, but felt disconnected from the Keith/Anita/Marianne tea party of mutual admiration and mutual condescension of Jagger.
I always felt defensive of Jagger, but it wasn't cool to criticize Keith. Now, its safety in numbers...I feel liberated to express my disdain of Keith's arrogance and poseur-ness.
As for Jagger, I also noticed the shift at about 2005, after ABB. For those who keep saying that "Mick was always cool".....
No, he wasn't and you must not have been paying attention to what was going on in the 80s and 90s.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-02-17 02:03 by stupidguy2.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: February 17, 2011 03:33

Mick Jagger and Keith Richards are full of themselves. We might be too if we had all of this adulation for almost 50 years. I can they not have egos? They are both cool in my book and Keith as a musician is really cool. I mean look at some of the stuff he's recorded and never released. he is really respected by his peers.

Mick I have always thought his stage persona was cool. Back in the 80's he got really full of himself and nearly cost him his band and it took a long time for him to build himself back up.

The Life book is NOT that bad. It's interesting and what Mick did with the record deal was pretty bad back in the 80's with solo stuff tacked on and not telling the band. Keith should take the high road like Mick does. I give Mick tremendous credit for not firing back at him and he has had plenty of opportunities to do so and for that alone he is cool.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1704
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home