Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Stones early audition tapes for the BBC
Posted by: Beast ()
Date: October 21, 2013 18:55

Great programme, which should be soon available to listen to online. It plays some of the original audition tapes and is full of stories that are very funny with the benefit of hindsight - not only about the Stones but also the Kinks, David Bowie and others.

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Re: Stones early audition tapes for the BBC
Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: October 21, 2013 20:11

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: October 21, 2013 20:18

Nice one Deltics.....thanks for posting

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: October 21, 2013 23:24

Great, Deltics! thumbs up

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 21, 2013 23:25

...thanks beast good stories ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: October 22, 2013 12:55

They were obviously called The Rollin'Stones still in May 1963 ... I thought that this name was obsolete already in 63.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: October 22, 2013 14:05

ALO came on the scene in April 1963, so the g was still in and out of use until ALO made it stick a short while later.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: October 22, 2013 16:54

Had to chuckle.

The Stones "weren't suitable" for "light entertaintment".

ALO then came along and tried to make them suitable for light entertainment

...until it became apparent that not being suitable for light entertainmemt might be a good thing >grinning smiley<

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: October 22, 2013 16:56

Indeed. grinning smiley

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 22, 2013 17:13

RobertJohnson
They were obviously called The Rollin'Stones still in May 1963 ... I thought that this name was obsolete already in 63.

wasn't 'Come On' released in May?

I guess maybe it 'stuck' after that release?

Posted by: ash ()
Date: October 22, 2013 17:15

Am i right in saying that the excerpts broadcast are the well known versions and nothing new ? I think the audition tape was broadcast on Saturday Club thanks to Bernie Andrews and the surviving tape is sadly missing 2 songs. In fact i'm not sure there was anything new in this programme even the bit about a member (Syd) of Pink Floyd "freaking out".
All the same thanks for pointing it out. Completely failed to notice it was on. If only the BBC had had an archive policy in the 50s and 60s apart from wipe it then we'd have a lot of stuff to dream of hearing that was still locked in a cupboard at the bbc.

Date: October 22, 2013 18:31

treaclefingers
RobertJohnson

wasn't 'Come On' released in May?

I guess maybe it 'stuck' after that release?

"Come On" was released on June 7.

Date: October 22, 2013 18:43

ash
Am i right in saying that the excerpts broadcast are the well known versions and nothing new ? I think the audition tape was broadcast on Saturday Club thanks to Bernie Andrews and the surviving tape is sadly missing 2 songs. In fact i'm not sure there was anything new in this programme even the bit about a member (Syd) of Pink Floyd "freaking out".
All the same thanks for pointing it out. Completely failed to notice it was on. If only the BBC had had an archive policy in the 50s and 60s apart from wipe it then we'd have a lot of stuff to dream of hearing that was still locked in a cupboard at the bbc.

I agree with you, ash, but after 9 lost episodes of Dr Who turning up in a Nigerian TV station recently, we can live in hope that some Stones material may be lurking out there somewhere.......

Posted by: blivet ()
Date: October 22, 2013 19:31

Spud
Had to chuckle.

The Stones "weren't suitable" for "light entertaintment".

ALO then came along and tried to make them suitable for light entertainment

...until it became apparent that not being suitable for light entertainmemt might be a good thing >grinning smiley<

They must have made some kind of impression on David Dore, though. He encourages Brian to contact someone else at the BBC to discuss the audition in further detail, possibly in person. Not exactly a polite brush off. Does anyone know if Brian followed up?

Date: October 22, 2013 19:54

Manofwealthandtaste
ash

I agree with you, ash, but after 9 lost episodes of Dr Who turning up in a Nigerian TV station recently, we can live in hope that some Stones material may be lurking out there somewhere.......

Things do still turn up:

Unheard Bowie programme aired

Posted by: Happy Jack ()
Date: October 22, 2013 22:27

I was reading the booklet for the Kinks BBC boxset that might shed some light on possible "found items". Most of the artists on the BBC were featured on Brian Matthews "Saturday Club", which according the booklet were largely wiped. However, these shows were compiled onto discs for the overseas market and rebroadcast as "Top of the Pops" (not to be confused with the BBC TV show of the same name). Therefore most of the BBC sessions from the 60s that are coming to light actually come from the Top of the Pops discs and not the original Saturday Club broadcasts.
Therefore it is possible that further unreleased Stones BBC material may turn up...

Posted by: ash ()
Date: October 23, 2013 00:45

Happy Jack
I was reading the booklet for the Kinks BBC boxset that might shed some light on possible "found items". Most of the artists on the BBC were featured on Brian Matthews "Saturday Club", which according the booklet were largely wiped. However, these shows were compiled onto discs for the overseas market and rebroadcast as "Top of the Pops" (not to be confused with the BBC TV show of the same name). Therefore most of the BBC sessions from the 60s that are coming to light actually come from the Top of the Pops discs and not the original Saturday Club broadcasts.
Therefore it is possible that further unreleased Stones BBC material may turn up...
'Fraid not, Got most of the Top Of The Pops discs from the 60s and iirc there aint nothin' there for fans of the big acts (fabs,stones,who,kinks,jimi etc) that isn't widely available elsewhere. Although Bernie Andrews kept copies of many/some early Saturday Club broadcasts, 1963 through early mid 64 is a big gaping hole in the BBC pop archives and without the TOTP bbc transcription discs rest assured there would be sweet not much from late 64 to 1970 and beyond. It's a very sad situation if you like the beat group era from the beatle explosion onwards. There are uncirculating jewels in private collections which may yet see the light of day before we all pass away and rumours aplenty of stashes of tapes including Stones ones as yet unconfirmed and therefore only worth mentioning in passing but for the most part we are reliant on home tapers stepping forward.
In 1980 the beatles 52 radio session appearances had been whittled down to the two least interesting by the BBC. Thank god for home tapers...other bands have not survived the years so well.
I would also love to hear more from the live Ready Steady Go run but independent tv in the UK was just as bad although we have to remember the companies aren't entirely to blame. there were all sorts of musicians union,contract problems which prevented or effectively prevented repeats so why keep them at such considerable expense. Pop music was viewed as transient.
Just a shame that this policy changed when Westlife and Blue were big so we've probably got a complete archive for them. Bleurgh

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2388
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home