Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
hal ashby movie
Posted by: ohcarol ()
Date: September 23, 2011 06:59

I no alot of you dont like this movie but I love it. I think mick and keith are at their best in 1981... [www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-09-23 16:50 by ohcarol.

Re: hal ashbery movie
Posted by: jpasc95 ()
Date: September 23, 2011 07:05

I like it
I long to receive the blu ray version in just a few days.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: September 23, 2011 07:44

Did go through some trouble to get this VHS. You couldn't get it in Sweden at the time it was released so my father took it home from London (on vacation there). This VHS was the first recording of a full Stones concert I ever saw. Still, it was a letdown. Especially the sound was very thin and poor. A shame after all that trouble to get hold of it. The live videos of Hampton were much better (Going to a go go, Time is on my side and YCAGWYW were shown in Europe as promos for the ´82 Tour).

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: September 23, 2011 08:24

You mean Hal ASHBY.

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: September 23, 2011 09:05

Stoneage
Did go through some trouble to get this VHS.

It was £44.95 when first released on VHS, a LOT of money in 1984 (my weekly wages was under £80!). I heard of a place in London's west end where they were selling them for just £39.95, so got a train there specially. Within a few months it had gone down to £19.95... & a few months after that it could be bought anywhere for £9.95.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 23, 2011 09:37

..Yeah sleepy ... I once read about a lady like that ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: September 23, 2011 09:52

I can't imagine a stadium show without a video screen - watching ants. That must've sucked (I was born in '76)

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: September 23, 2011 12:47

Missing on LSTNT unfortunately....

Posted by: WorriedAboutYou ()
Date: September 23, 2011 13:18

Still get goosebumps for that version of Under My Thumb. Best lineup of the band and sounding absolutely on fire. Love it.

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: September 23, 2011 14:40

jpasc95
I like it
I long to receive the blu ray version in just a few days.

Where have you ordered the blu ray from?

Posted by: elmod ()
Date: September 23, 2011 14:51

[www.cdjapan.co.jp]

Hyde Park bluray is also available....

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: September 23, 2011 15:06

Thanks elmod

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: September 23, 2011 16:29

Send It To me
I can't imagine a stadium show without a video screen - watching ants.

...and that's from the better seats!

Higher up it was like watching a trained flea act, with music.

Posted by: shedooby ()
Date: September 23, 2011 16:42

Send It To me
I can't imagine a stadium show without a video screen - watching ants. That must've sucked (I was born in '76)

luckaly I was standing front of stage in Rotterdam '82, cost me 8 hours waiting but....awesome, and it was my very first Stonesshow too

Re: hal ashby movie
Posted by: ohcarol ()
Date: September 23, 2011 16:51

Thanks for the spelling stonesrule

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: September 23, 2011 17:14

WorriedAboutYou
Still get goosebumps for that version of Under My Thumb. Best lineup of the band and sounding absolutely on fire. Love it.

Yes!
Love that too

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: September 23, 2011 17:18

No camera will ever capture what the Stones do live.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: September 23, 2011 17:33

shortfatfanny

Missing on LSTNT unfortunately....

Incredible, three chords, and one of the definitions what Rock is ... one of their greatest ...

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: September 23, 2011 19:14

leteyer
No camera will ever capture what the Stones do live.
100% agree with that.... but boots/video are a fine way to "remember" a concert I attended.

ohcarol
I no alot of you dont like this movie but I love it. I think mick and keith are at their best in 1981... [www.youtube.com]

I am with you on this carol, I think this film is a lot of fun, it is my favorite version of my Stones... they seem to be a more jamming, rocking, having fun band ,without all the backup singers/players etc etc.

btw-
I dont know if Palladia channel is available world wide, but they are showing this film (and SAL and Ladies and Gents and otehrs) in HIGH DEF on a regualr basis. It looks great and is fun to watch... and is free (except for commercials)... I have all, or parts, of these shows perma-saved on my DVR

If you have DirecTV, it is channel 567. They seems to be showing more and more great rocking stuff, like some of the big European festivals. They play 3-4 songs from each group, and it is nice mix... plus they play other cool stuff. For instance tonight Palladia is showing the TV premiere of "Nirvana live at the Parmamount".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-09-23 19:17 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: Sjouke ()
Date: November 2, 2011 00:10

Just received the BlueRay version of this movie. Absolutely perfect image and sound, better than the DVD that is around...

[www.cdjapan.co.jp]

sjouke

Posted by: ineedadrink ()
Date: November 2, 2011 00:16

Hal Ashby was quite the eccentric. Great filmmaker. He overdosed before a Stones show in Arizona during that '81 tour.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: November 2, 2011 00:50

Ashby also directed HAMPTON '81.

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: November 2, 2011 00:51

is the blu-ray region free where it will play anywhere, and does it include whip comes down?

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: November 2, 2011 00:58

>is the blu-ray region free where it will play anywhere, and does it include whip comes down?

That was in the Euro movie ROCKS OFF, not LSTNT. Would have made a nice bonus.

Posted by: jjsteve ()
Date: November 2, 2011 01:34

the start me up from this movie was the same as on the jersey devil boot.. listen to the sound difference. the sound in the movie sucks. very thin, guitars barely there. the sound from the boot is loud, upfront. hal ashby did a terrible job with the guitars in the mix here. you see the come girls movie just released, or gimme shelter and it's far better than LSTNT.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: November 2, 2011 01:52

Glam Descendant
Ashby also directed HAMPTON '81.

That's the one that should have been released. I watched LSTNT in a theater in 82 and found myself dozing off. Ever since I acquired Hampton '81 I watch it all the time. Something tells me the same will be true of Stones 'At The Max' when I get a hold of Atlantic City '89.

Posted by: DrPete ()
Date: November 2, 2011 01:59

Bashlets
is the blu-ray region free where it will play anywhere, and does it include whip comes down?
It IS region free BUT No WHIP. The Blu-ray is perfect but disappointed tht WHIP was not to be found

Posted by: hedegaard ()
Date: November 2, 2011 02:29

IMO they did their best live versions EVER of " She´s So Cold" and "All Down The Line" at this concert movie !!

hot smiley

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: November 2, 2011 02:41

I haven't watched this since 1982.

Posted by: Slick ()
Date: November 2, 2011 02:52

last great tour, the footage and the band are both spectacular... but the edits are brutal, hampton blows it away.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1570
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home