Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
No Security
Posted by: Deluxtone ()
Date: September 26, 2013 15:15

I thought this rather unremarkable as a live record of their 97-99 outing.
What had become a rather obligatory live offering as a final milking of the record/tour financial exercise.

Rather forgettable.

But having uncovered it recently and put it on without looking at the track-listing first it was a joy to be surprised by song after song of non-warhorses.
So that's what is remarkable about this album. Quite brave in retrospect. And, with the hindsight of the primarily warhorse/greatest hits tours, since it shows the band in a pretty creative, adventurous and not to mention lively and fun-loving light. Wish they'd included a few more from 'Bridges' though - as a true teastament to that album's shows, esp Anybody Seen My Baby - worked well live and sounded 'current'

For me the highlights are Gimme Shelter, Respectable and Theif - and one other I can't mind just now.
Corinna perhaps the one spoiler.

Keith in fine fighting fettle.
Ronnie missing in action on quite a few.

Daryll - someone tell him it's not about how many notes you can play per minute.
Less is more, Daaryll, less is more.

But to end on two totally positive notes:

Watts and Jagger, Jagger and Watts. (Oe is that four?).

An Iolaire.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-26 15:20 by Deluxtone.

Re: No Security
Posted by: Godxofxrock9 ()
Date: September 26, 2013 15:23

it is a rather good album i enjoy it very much

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: September 26, 2013 15:26

Don't forget Tony Cousins!
He's the great mastering engineer in the world.
I don't believe why the Stones hired him only for this record.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 26, 2013 15:31

Dave Matthsnoooze. Without him perhaps Memory Motel would have been brilliant.

No Security remains brilliant. With exception to the rather boring Live With Me, Respectable and The Last Time it's a great live album, especially the four Bridges songs.

About ASMB - all the live versions I've heard have not been good. I love the LP version, it's a cool tune, but live it was a dud.

Weird, innit, that the first single from the two 1990s LPs were horrible live. They couldn't - and still can't - play Love Is Strong worth a shit (the new Heartbreaker).

Posted by: JC21769 ()
Date: September 26, 2013 15:38

Giants Stadium 1997..Anybody Seen My Baby....live it was a real dud. The song that stole the show? Out of Control. It was really great.

I like No Security. Agree with above that Memory Motel would have been really enjoyable without Dave Matthews

Date: September 26, 2013 15:45

Maybe ASMB became 'tired' - or did they drop it by 1998/9?

I first heard it live on the 'Live at the Ten Spot' boot.
Jagger really committed to it and it sounded almost gripping!

I forgot - the one bum choice was to open with YGMR, (if it had to be included at all!).

Why not Flip The Switch as the attention-grabbing opener?

(A rhetorical question btw).

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: September 26, 2013 15:47

JC21769
Giants Stadium 1997..Anybody Seen My Baby....live it was a real dud. The song that stole the show? Out of Control. It was really great.

I like No Security. Agree with above that Memory Motel would have been really enjoyable without Dave Matthews

Agree about Dave Matthews.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: September 26, 2013 16:38

It is the same mess like on all late live albums: too clean, too sober, too controlled, no right in your face guitars. In contrary the boots from the last years show the boys as they are: dirty and irresistable.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: September 26, 2013 16:59

Released already well into the "downloading" era, as an album it doesn't make much sense. That said, when a NS song pops up in the shuffle rotation of my ipod, it is usually very welcome!

C

Date: September 26, 2013 17:17

RobertJohnson
It is the same mess like on all late live albums: too clean, too sober, too controlled, no right in your face guitars. In contrary the boots from the last years show the boys as they are: dirty and irresistable.

I generally agree - hence I found it kind-of unremarkable at the time.

But it's refreshing not to have, how you say, the Horses of War, n'est-ce pas?

Posted by: bluesinc. ()
Date: September 26, 2013 17:40

Deluxtone
Maybe ASMB became 'tired' - or did they drop it by 1998/9?

I first heard it live on the 'Live at the Ten Spot' boot.
Jagger really committed to it and it sounded almost gripping!

the removed it when jagger lost his voice at that song...

Posted by: Monkeytonkman ()
Date: September 26, 2013 18:39

Always liked this album since its release.

also love the sleeve, It's actually one of my all time favourite Stones Album covers.

\m/

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: September 26, 2013 18:47

Ronnie is only missing because he is mixed too low. The Last Time in St. Louis was great. One of the best versions of the tour. Ronnie was mixed loud at the show. Keith is 2x as loud on No Security.

They should have included Little Queenie on the disk!

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: September 26, 2013 18:48

A solid live album, Watts,Richards and Jagger are fantastic, especially the Babylon tracks are rolling. The Sister Morphine version developes an aura of its own.Live with me is enjoyable. This album deserves some more attention.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-26 19:40 by windmelody.

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: September 26, 2013 19:55

I've always liked it. Having seen them for the first time on the B2B Tour I was excited to have a live album from the tour, even if I wasn't at any of the shows on the album. I've come to appreciate it more as I've delved deeper into their catalog than I had at that point. I probably didn't own anything post-IORR at that point besides B2B. And it was my first Stones live album besides R&R Circus. I liked songs on there like Gimme Shelter, Live With Me, Out Of Control and Flip The Switch. Now I also appreciate it for the quirky tracklisting others have pointed to and the fact that few of the songs are redundant. These days I'd much rather listen to Gimme Shelter from one of the '72 or '73 shows, Respectable from Texas '78 or Live With Me from Ya-Ya's. But a lot of the songs are unique to this album and it's a fun listen.

Personally, for the B2B songs, I would have put "Too Tight" on there instead of "Saint Of Me" and for Keith's song "You Don't Have To Mean It" instead of "Thief In The Night". "Anybody Seen My Baby" is glaringly absent. Would that be a royalties thing since they credited k.d. Lang and Ben Mink? Of course Pierre is credited on "Thief In The Night", Marianne on "Sister Morphine", and whoever wrote "Corrina". So it's not like they only put Jagger/Richards songs on there.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: September 26, 2013 20:09

NoCode0680, ASMB never worked out well on the stage, it was put together in the studio and the Stones never played it together. Most live versions were a real mess. The other B2B Songs sounded great live.

Date: September 26, 2013 20:15

windmelody
NoCode0680, ASMB never worked out well on the stage, it was put together in the studio and the Stones never played it together. Most live versions were a real mess. The other B2B Songs sounded great live.

The studio version was kind of a miss with me as well. I didn't dislike it, but I was 17 at the time and it didn't appeal to my tastes. I was more into the likes of Too Tight, Gunface, Flip The Switch, Out Of Control, etc. Mainly the rockers, or somewhat rocking numbers, but I also liked You Don't Have To Mean It.

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: September 26, 2013 20:32

Who is the couple on the cover?

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: September 26, 2013 20:38

I haven't picked it up in years. I'd say it's about 50/50 "decent". The tracklist did excite me a lot before I heard it, but as soon as Dave Matthews' voice came on... blah!!! Corrina is great, the B2B songs are great too (well, Flip the Switch sounds Voodoo Lounge-level-dull). You Got Me Rocking - poor choice, especially for on opener.

Disc 2 of Live Licks blows No Security away, I think. (despite the Rocks Off edit)

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: onestep ()
Date: September 26, 2013 21:06

I found the No Security tour, to be one of the BEST live outings the Stones ever performed. Unfortunately the No Security album isn't really indicative of the tour. The San Jose shows were just awesome, performances on that tour of Route 66, Some Girls, Get Off My Cloud, Sway, Moonlight Mile, Saint of Me, and a ton of others. That was the short tour in the USA comprised of arena's, and the sound was just pristine, and they were well oiled from B2B tour...which continued. Too bad the No Security album doesn't contain any of these arena performances.........I have my fingers crossed that one day they will release the San Jose performances..........since they just now releasing Hyde Park, that seems unlikely for a few years, if ever. :-(

IMPO...............

Date: September 26, 2013 21:13

The B-stage sets were often the highlights - and on Licks gigs.

Pity they didn't include a real 3-song sequence B-stage sequence from one of the shows.

Maybe on a No Security Deluxe Edition one day!

Or a Live album of B-stage sets from both tours.

Anyone at RS.com reading this?!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-26 21:44 by Deluxtone.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: September 26, 2013 21:34

Please remember that the NS album was from the B2B tour, not the most awesome NS tour.

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: September 26, 2013 22:47

GasLightStreet
Dave Matthsnoooze. Without him perhaps Memory Motel would have been brilliant.

No Security remains brilliant. With exception to the rather boring Live With Me, Respectable and The Last Time it's a great live album, especially the four Bridges songs.

About ASMB - all the live versions I've heard have not been good. I love the LP version, it's a cool tune, but live it was a dud.

Weird, innit, that the first single from the two 1990s LPs were horrible live. They couldn't - and still can't - play Love Is Strong worth a shit (the new Heartbreaker).

exactly! all what you said

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: September 26, 2013 23:55

shattered

Who is the couple on the cover?

"IORR-News 4th November 1998: Who's on the No Security cover?

The No Security CD is now out all over the world, and Stones fans may enjoy the memories of the BtB tour.
The front cover photo is taken at the show in Wiener Neustadt, Austria, and the guy is Wolfgang Dusek, optician from Vienna. The girl is still not identified.
"

[www.iorr.org]

Date: September 27, 2013 00:22

Elmo Lewis
Please remember that the NS album was from the B2B tour, not the most awesome NS tour.

I sometimes forget that actually. By the way, what are some good No Security tour boots? I have some B2B boots but my collection skips from there to the Licks tour.

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: September 27, 2013 01:44

Gimme Shelter, Sister Motphine, Out of Control and The Last Time are my personal highlights from this release

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: September 27, 2013 02:31

Got the Jap version with Just Wanna Make Love To You bonus track when it came out...absolutely loved it, still do.

Posted by: ifyacantrockme ()
Date: September 27, 2013 02:47

the dave matthews number needed to go...keep taj. ronnie is always missing in most of the mixes. if he plays that badly why keep him? he seems to play more interestingly than keith does usually. but, keith is good on this CD, whether its overdubbed or not, he still sounds good. i love sister morphine, gimme shelter and flip the switch...oh yeah, out of control one of my faves.

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: September 27, 2013 02:48

True, enough of the contemporaries like Matthews and Ga Goo. You're way past needing that fellas!

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 27, 2013 05:38

windmelody

Keith isn't on the LP version, right? Live he did a decent job of doing that grinding chime with the sliding E note.

A complete dud live. The 1990s Miss You, in its contemporariness, it totally failed live.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1279
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home