Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Mosquito Sunglasses
Posted by: DiscoVolante ()
Date: August 26, 2013 20:03

I'm looking for pictures of the band wearing these types of sunglasses. Keith and Brian wore them a lot ca 68. They were probably originally their girlfriends..

Re: Mosquito Sunglasses
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 26, 2013 20:04

aren't these called fly sunglasses, like what Bono wore during Achtung Baby?

Posted by: DiscoVolante ()
Date: August 26, 2013 20:52

Jackie Onassis made them famous. It's one of the most fashionable items of the 60's I think. Especially when male rockstars wore them. They had a revival in the 90's as well when Kurt Cobain wore them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-26 20:53 by DiscoVolante.

Posted by: Shantipole ()
Date: August 27, 2013 17:23

You can buy a version here:

http://www.theflyshades.com

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: August 27, 2013 17:49

None beat these ones worn by Phil Manzanera of Roxy Music.

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: August 27, 2013 18:00

DiscoVolante
They had a revival in the 90's as well when Kurt Cobain wore them.

I remember several kids at my high school having those. But it seems like it wore off pretty quick and they switched to the Trent Reznor goggles.

Speaking of Trent and eyeware did anybody catch his April Fool's Day joke several years back of a fake album complete with him wearing Kanye glasses on the cover?

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: August 27, 2013 21:38

I hope this [www.metalsucks.net] is also an April Fool's Day joke...

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: August 27, 2013 22:56

Keith's and Marianne's look like Cébé, Made in France, Modéle déposé sunglasses.

can' find any pics online but I have a pair here.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: August 28, 2013 01:10

I like these a lot.

Posted by: sweet things ()
Date: August 28, 2013 01:56

Date: August 28, 2013 16:46

Date: August 29, 2013 08:58

Silver Dagger
None beat these ones worn by Phil Manzanera of Roxy Music.

ok just stop...that's obviously Russell Brand.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: August 29, 2013 09:44

Ha hah - looks just like Russell Brand too. Very good treacle.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: August 29, 2013 10:39

Mosquito sunglasses?

Yes, one of The Mosquitos wore sunglasses.

It helped keep the glare of the spotlights out of his eyes while onstage so he could see what he was playing on (bass) guitar.

The Laurel and Hardy hat was a nice touch as well.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: August 29, 2013 15:11

open-g

Very nice! thumbs up

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: August 29, 2013 15:42

open-g, those are some cool shades.

Back in the day, I had a couple pairs of Dragons and a pair of Spy bugeye sunglasses. Wish I still had them.

Posted by: latvianinexile ()
Date: August 29, 2013 17:02

Date: August 29, 2013 22:05

stonehearted
Mosquito sunglasses?

It helped keep the glare of the spotlights out of his eyes while onstage so he could see what he was playing on (bass) guitar.

Too funny...I recently bought the box set of Gilligan' Island and watched that episode. The band in it, is an actual band.

They recorded the Gilligan's Isle theme song. Little bit of trivia for ya there.

Date: August 30, 2013 01:15

treaclefingers
Too funny...I recently bought the box set of Gilligan' Island and watched that episode. The band in it, is an actual band.

They recorded the Gilligan's Isle theme song. Little bit of trivia for ya there.

I've been thinking of picking up a DVD set of Gilligan's Island. Any good bonus features in the DVD box?

That Mary Ann was hot, even more so than Ginger. She used to grow pot on her farm and mail it to Gilligan.

Say, did you see that episode of Kolchak: The Night Stalker with Jim Backus (Chopper)? While Kolchak is in the warehouse looking for the chopper's coffin, you see a pile of coffins with names on them, and one of them is "Backus".

Date: August 30, 2013 03:06

stonehearted
treaclefingers

I've been thinking of picking up a DVD set of Gilligan's Island. Any good bonus features in the DVD box?

That Mary Ann was hot, even more so than Ginger. She used to grow pot on her farm and mail it to Gilligan.

Say, did you see that episode of Kolchak: The Night Stalker with Jim Backus (Chopper)? While Kolchak is in the warehouse looking for the chopper's coffin, you see a pile of coffins with names on them, and one of them is "Backus".

OK, lots of replies!

Not a lot of good bonus features, but they do give you the ORIGINAL pilot, never aired on TV, featuring some different actors that replace the Professor and the two girls. That's kinda neat. They also feature the revised pilot that did air.

Season one is black and white. Seasons two and three are in colour. Some Sherwood Schwarz stuff, and if I recall correctly a Russell Johnson interview. Nothing to get excited about but the episodes are great. My kids watch them over and over, just like I used to do in the day.

I've read about the Mary Ann thing...Gilligan got in a lot of trouble over that one. He's such a nice guy though, never gave her up. He's also the reason why they changed the title song in season two to include 'the professor and mary ann'.

I missed that on the Kolchak episode...I'll have to go and rewatch it. Did you ever watch Ellery Queen? That is a fantastic dvd set to get.

Date: August 30, 2013 03:28

treaclefingers
I missed that on the Kolchak episode...I'll have to go and rewatch it. Did you ever watch Ellery Queen? That is a fantastic dvd set to get.

The lettering is easy to spot--over Kolchak's left shoulder (top right section of your screen) the first time he enters the warehouse to look around, after having followed "Studs" in who is also looking around for something....

Haven't got the Ellery Queen DVDs yet, but that pilot episode looks great. It's definitely on my need to watch list--but first, I'm going to look into that Gilligan box set.

"Those tiki torches must be kept lit! That orange must be kept warm...."

Speaking of Russell Johnson, I remember when I was a kid seeing him on TV in a sci-fi movie from the 50s called The Space Children, in which he gets eaten by aliens.

Date: August 30, 2013 03:53

eye rolling smiley

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: August 30, 2013 04:00

stonehearted

smileys with beer

Huge MSTie here

Posted by: moonlightaffair ()
Date: August 30, 2013 05:06

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: September 5, 2013 05:35

Date: September 24, 2013 02:50

treaclefingers
I recently bought the box set of Gilligan' Island

A couple days ago I found this complete 90-minute documentary on Gilligan's Island from 2001 called Surviving Gilligan's Island. Bob Denver, Dawn Wells, Russell Johnson and Sherwood Schwartz take part in recreating how the series came to be and how the cast came to be close like a family on and off the set. The actors brought in to play the younger cast members do a credible and spirited job and I really like this documentary, which I've watched more than half of so far, as it has lots of charm. Fun fact: Before eventually casting Alan Hale, Jr., for the role, the producers were keen on Carroll O'Connor for the part, which would have made Gilligan the original Meathead. Sherwood and the producers were having lunch in a restaurant one day when Sherwood spotted Hale at another table, who was telling companions that because the acting work was drying up he was about to retire and go into real estate....

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: September 24, 2013 02:57

Cool in '68, but wold you wear a pair today? Ray-Ban's are timeless, though smiling smiley

Posted by: TeaAtThree ()
Date: September 24, 2013 04:42

stonehearted
Mosquito sunglasses?

One of the all time great Gilligan's Island episodes right there, Stonehearted! The Honeybees were awesome too.

Date: September 24, 2013 05:15

TeaAtThree
One of the all time great Gilligan's Island episodes right there, Stonehearted! The Honeybees were awesome too.

Yes, indeed! And I'm one of those who thinks Mary Ann was the hotter of the two. I just read on the Gilligan's Island Wiki page that Dawn Wells' fan mail would outnumber that of Tina Louise (Bob Denver: 'Wells received 3–5,000 fan letters weekly, whereas, Louise may have gotten 1,500 or 2,000') by as much as 3 to 1! And it is said that Ms. Louise had a very big problem dealing with this, because she felt that she was the star.

Ginger vs. Mary Ann at: [retrocrush.com]

As for the eternal question–who was more alluring, farm girl castaway Mary Ann or movie star castaway Ginger–Denver felt it was no contest. He liked Mary Ann better, and he claimed that whenever there were polls, Mary Ann always beat Ginger by a margin of 3 to 1.

"I think Ginger just scared the guys," was Denver's take. And since movie stars should always get the last word, here's what Tina Louise, who portrayed Ginger, has to say about that: "I don't think so!"

Above excerpt taken from: [www.usnews.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-24 19:47 by stonehearted.

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: September 24, 2013 14:00

MST3K is a great time.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1770
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home