Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Harrison and Lennon interview 1974 (Stones content)
Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: September 8, 2013 23:20

Re: Harrison and Lennon interview 1974 (Stones content)
Posted by: GOO ()
Date: September 9, 2013 01:41

Interesting

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: September 9, 2013 02:27

Interesting indeed. Here's the story behind it.

[thefaustorocksyeah.wordpress.com]

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: September 9, 2013 03:30

I don't believe all four Beatles were ever in the same room together after 1969.

Date: September 9, 2013 03:44

Would you settle for three Beatles in a room together?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-09 03:56 by tatters.

Date: September 9, 2013 03:48

Last photo of three Beatles, taken in 2000.

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: September 9, 2013 04:16

71Tele
I don't believe all four Beatles were ever in the same room together after 1969.

There was some Beatles memorabilia stuff shown on PBS's Antiques Roadshow. The guy's father worked for Capitol. I think there were some original pressings...whatever. But the point is there was a January (I think) 1970 letter signed by all four thanking his father for...whatever. What was the estimated value of the letter? $60,000! Why? Because you do not see something from 1970 signed by all of them. This does not mean they were all in the same room when the letter was signed...But the estimated value of the letter supports Tele's point.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: September 9, 2013 05:54

I wouldn't be surprised if the 4 of them didn't share a room together after they broke up. Think about it: there was only 10 years for that to happen, and while they didn't hate each other in the end of Lennon's life, they needed some space. Paul has claimed that him and John watched Saturday Night Live together when Lorne Michaels offered them money to reunite. And then from 75 on, it didn't seem like Lennon saw much of anyone, as he was focused on being a dad.

I'm just saying, I think them never sharing a room after the breakup was more due to the fact that Lennon didn't live much longer after that, and while he was living he was busy, and the first half of the breakup obviously wasn't going to lead to any meetings. I think if he lived 5 or 10 years more, they definitely would have all come together at some point. By the time of his death, John didn't hate any of them, and I don't think any of them hated each other. I think it was a matter that they were never in the same place altogether.

What is sad is seeing the pictures of the three remaining Beatles (now two). Its just so unfair John never got to that point. They seem like guys that would have had so much fun when they were older, and John wasn't even my favorite Beatle but you knew he'd be the funniest and the rowdiest of the bunch. He just would have loved being there, as he knew what the Beatles meant to people. Right at the time he was shot, he was just entering that portion of his life where everything was making sense and he seemed at peace with everything. He had grown up and enough time had passed that I think he was living comfortably as a former Beatle, and more importantly as a father. I don't usually get choked up thinking about John, but it is really sad when you see the picture of the three and its just so cruel that John never got to bask in the glory with the rest of them in the 90s and 2000s. He would have been a cool old dude.

Date: September 9, 2013 05:59

There were sessions in early 1970 for Let It Be, but Lennon didn't attend. There were combinations of three of them for the "Ringo" album and a couple of weddings, but again, I don't think all four were together from 1970 to Lennon's death in 1980. Anyone know the last point in '69 when they were together? Would have either been a photo session or a meeting at Apple, most likely.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: September 9, 2013 06:31

71Tele
There were sessions in early 1970 for Let It Be, but Lennon didn't attend. There were combinations of three of them for the "Ringo" album and a couple of weddings, but again, I don't think all four were together from 1970 to Lennon's death in 1980. Anyone know the last point in '69 when they were together? Would have either been a photo session or a meeting at Apple, most likely.

Probably September 20, when John announced to the others that he was leaving. There was no reason for the four of them to convene as a group after that.

The session in early 1970 was just to clean up the track I, Me, Mine, which was first done during the Get Back sessions the year before.

Date: September 9, 2013 08:49

stonehearted
71Tele

Probably September 20, when John announced to the others that he was leaving. There was no reason for the four of them to convene as a group after that.

The session in early 1970 was just to clean up the track I, Me, Mine, which was first done during the Get Back sessions the year before.

Not to quibble, but actually I believe "I Me Mine" was a brand new recording. The take in the film was a loose rehearsal, so they had to cut a proper version (extended by splicing in the bridge a second time).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-09 08:51 by 71Tele.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: September 9, 2013 09:37

71Tele
stonehearted
71Tele

Not to quibble, but actually I believe "I Me Mine" was a brand new recording. The take in the film was a loose rehearsal, so they had to cut a proper version (extended by splicing in the bridge a second time).

Yes, you're probably right. And I've been thinking further about the fact that the other three continued recording together even after John said it was over, particularly since I just stumbled on this 1970 interview with George Harrison done for the Village Voice with Howard Smith where Harrison says "It's very selfish if the Beatles don't record together"....

WHEN I INTERVIEWED George Harrison last week for ABC-FM radio, we of course got to talking about the big Beatles blow-up. Here are some key excerpts that give Harrison's view of what is going down.

HS: Will the Beatles get together again?

GH: For the rest of the world the Beatle music is such a big sort of scene; I think, the least we could do is to sacrifice three months of a year, at least, to do an album or two. I think it's very selfish if the Beatles don't record together.

HS: But everything looks so gloomy right now.

GH: It's not really; it's no more gloomy than it's been for the last 10 years. It's just that now -- over the last year, what with John and stuff and lately with Paul, everything that they've thought or said has come out...it's been made public...

HS: Things have been there all along.

GH: No, I wouldn't say...in different ways. We are just like anybody else. You know, familiarity breeds contempt. They do say!

HS: It sounds like Paul's saying it's all over.

GH: It's more of a personal thing that's down to the management situation. You know, with Apple, because Paul really, it was his idea to do Apple. And once it started going, Paul was really active. And then it got really chaotic and we had to do something about it and when we started to do something about it, obviously Paul didn't have as much to say in the matter. And then he decided because he wanted the Eastmans, his in-laws, to run it and we didn't, then that's the only reason. That's the whole basis, but that's only a personal problem that he'll have to get over because that's the reality. He's out-voted because we're a partnership. We've got these companies where we all own 25 per cent of each and if there's a decision to be made, like in any other business or group, you have a vote, and if he's out-voted three to one, and if he doesn't like it, then it's really a pity. Because we're trying to do what's best for the Beatles as a group, or best for Apple as a company. We're not trying to do what is best for Paul and his in-laws, you know.

HS: You think that is what the key fight is over?

GH: Yeah, because it's on such a personal level that it is a big problem. You imagine that situation, if you were married and you wanted your in-laws to handle certain things. It's like, it's a difficult one to overcome. Like you can think of the subtleties; you know, he's really living with it. I mean, like when I go home, I'm not living there with Allen Klein, whereas in a way Paul's living with the Eastmans. So it's not really between Paul and us. It's really between Paul's advisors, who are the Eastmans, and our business adviser, who is Allen Klein. But it's all right...all things pass away...I mean we all do love each other. We've been so close and through so much together that to talk about it like this we never get any nearer to it. The main thing is, like in anybody's life, they have slight problems, but our problems are always blown up and shown to everybody. But it's not really a problem, it's only a problem if you think about it.

HS: So you don't think there is any great anger between Paul and John?

GH: No, I think there may be what you term a little bitchiness. But you know that's all it is. It's just being bitchy to each other. Childish, childish...but I get on well with Ringo and John and I I try my best to get on with Paul...but it's just a matter of time...

HS: Do you think the Beatles can ever get together in a studio after all the hassles?

GH: Well, it's easy...it's really quite easy...We've done it for years.....

Full interview (excerpts) at: [blogs.villagevoice.com]

It's very telling that even after Paul made the break-up official that George was still willing--even expecting--for there to be more Beatles recordings going forward. This seems surprising in retrospect, because the way George spoke of The Beatles in later years--with the obvious bitterness and resentment--you would think that he would have been the first one to have wanted it to be over.

Perhaps it also says something about how intimidating the prospect of going solo was, particularly to George, after having been sheltered under the umbrella of The Beatles' group identity for 10 years. It seems from this interview with George, and the recording of I Me Mine after John had left, that it was really only John who had wanted it to end--but, ironically, in subsequent years it would be mainly George who would stand in the way of it happening again.

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: September 9, 2013 10:37

What exactly is the Stones content, there?!
(I'm at the office, and watching internet videos is kind of impossible right now.)

Date: September 9, 2013 12:50

Lennon speaks about Jagger and a recent tour etc.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: September 9, 2013 13:49

Redhotcarpet
Lennon speaks about Jagger and a recent tour etc.

Where?

Date: September 9, 2013 15:12

71Tele
Anyone know the last point in '69 when they were together? Would have either been a photo session or a meeting at Apple, most likely.

Date: September 9, 2013 15:15

stonehearted
71Tele

George wasn't at the meeting. Last time all four of them were in the same place was for the Aug. 22 photo shoot at Tittenhurst that produced the cover photos for the Hey Jude compilation.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-09 15:16 by tatters.

Date: September 9, 2013 15:18

This is believed to be the very last photo taken that day.

[www.feelnumb.com]

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: September 9, 2013 16:29

At the end of The Beatles Anthology there is also the last film of them together done by Linda, from the Tittenhurst meeting.

Date: September 9, 2013 16:34

whitem8
At the end of The Beatles Anthology there is also the last film of them together done by Linda, from the Tittenhurst meeting.

Right, and here's a piece on the Tittenhurst shoot that shows the photos in the order they were taken,

[www.beatlesbible.com]

and while some of the very last pictures were taken inside the house, it appears this is actually the very last photo.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-10 05:19 by tatters.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: September 10, 2013 00:55

Wrong thread..............

Date: September 10, 2013 05:15

tatters
This is believed to be the very last photo taken that day.

[www.feelnumb.com]

Weird. In a way it looks like they knew it was over and were waving goodbye.

Posted by: batcave ()
Date: September 10, 2013 05:51

Amazing to look at them and realize that it was only 5 years after their first Sullivan appearance. Almost like a different band, I certainly have a hard time imagining them playing She Loves You or I Want To Hold Your Hand in 1969.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: September 10, 2013 12:39

batcave
Amazing to look at them and realize that it was only 5 years after their first Sullivan appearance. Almost like a different band, I certainly have a hard time imagining them playing She Loves You or I Want To Hold Your Hand in 1969.

In those days evolvements went ten times, no hundred times faster than today as for cultural and certainly musical items.

Date: September 14, 2013 00:30

Credits: dont know

Date: September 14, 2013 00:30

RoughJusticeOnYa
What exactly is the Stones content, there?!
(I'm at the office, and watching internet videos is kind of impossible right now.)

Right in the beginning

Posted by: carlorossi ()
Date: September 14, 2013 01:48

The interesting thing is that Lennon says that the IORR album is the best thing the Stones had ever done.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: September 14, 2013 02:13

carlorossi
The interesting thing is that Lennon says that the IORR album is the best thing the Stones had ever done.

Keep in mind that he was drunk. grinning smiley

Posted by: bluesinc. ()
Date: September 14, 2013 15:44

tatters

WHY DID THEY MEET?

Date: September 14, 2013 20:22

bluesinc.
tatters

WHY DID THEY MEET?

Ringo's 60th birthday, July 7, 2000.

[wogew.blogspot.com]

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1378
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home