Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Rocks Off: 50 Tracks
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 25, 2013 06:12

Got this book for my birthday recently. Anyone have it? Has it already been posted? Did a search, nothing came up.

Re: Rocks Off: 50 Tracks
Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: August 25, 2013 11:13

GasLightStreet
Got this book for my birthday recently. Anyone have it? Has it already been posted? Did a search, nothing came up.

...why don't you read it, and tell us all about it, GasLight!
winking smiley
Happy Birthday, btw.
Enjoy 'the Tracks'!

(P.S.: I don't know that book, so I can't tell you anything of use about it.)

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: August 25, 2013 11:20

Bill Janovitz is in the band Buffalo Tom. I believe this book had the Stones'blessing.

Posted by: Pete66 ()
Date: August 25, 2013 12:13

Excellent book, I recommend it. As always a little too much emphasis on the 60s Stones (I prefer their 70s output) but to each his own. He really loves the Stones, and it shows. Of course there are songs I wouldn't have picked as their 50 best (I am waiting? Under Assistent promo man?) but hey, it's the Stones, man!
So get this while you can.

Bill previously wrote about the Stones' Exile On Main St. album in the 33 1/3 series, which also is a must-read.

He indeed is the singer/guitarplayer of Buffalo Tom.

Pete.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: August 27, 2013 04:21

Janovitz picks his 9 best stones songs in this self-penned article.

[www.huffingtonpost.com]

Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: August 27, 2013 05:29

Halfway through it and enjoying every paragraph. He's hugely enthusiastic, really knows his stuff, and is an excellent writer. A great balance between musical analysis, the context of the songs to their times, and a history of the band. This is already one of the better Stones books I've ever read.

Posted by: Rev. Robert W. ()
Date: August 27, 2013 05:30

The Exile 33 1/3 is one of the best books I can think of about any music, ever. And believe me, I've geeked out on rock crit. and liner notes with the best of them...oh the lost time and income!

Janovitz is a wonderful writer, a deep commentator, and brings a band/recording awareness that is so valuable in drawing out the tiny moments that make great tracks really take off.

Rocks Off is a lot of fun, and the scheme of picking tracks that represent aspects of, and touchstones in, the band's story (rather than simply the "best" tracks) is worthwhile. I agree that it would have been fun to look harder at the later material, which I tend to think is underrated, or at least under documented.

Date: August 27, 2013 06:08

He mentions Keith falling out of a coconut tree without saying that that is a joke.

Date: August 29, 2013 06:17

It seems the two people that really made the Stones work (sound) their best were Jimmy Miller and Nicky Hopkins.

I don't get how Respectable made it into this book though. I get Angie, as much as I despise that song, but Respectable? No way.

Posted by: reiziger99 ()
Date: September 14, 2013 12:15

For easy reading and listening I put the songs in Spotify playlists:

Rocks Off 1 Brian Jones - Bill Janovitz

Rocks Off 2 Mick Taylor - Bill Janovitz

Rocks Off 3 Ron Wood - Bill Janovitz

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-14 12:24 by reiziger99.

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: September 15, 2013 12:44

reiziger99
For easy reading and listening I put the songs in Spotify playlists:

Rocks Off 1 Brian Jones - Bill Janovitz

Rocks Off 2 Mick Taylor - Bill Janovitz

Rocks Off 3 Ron Wood - Bill Janovitz

Cool and thanks!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2030
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home