Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

-
Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: September 6, 2013 02:20

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-28 17:12 by camper88.

Re: Mick's Letter To Andy Warhol
Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: September 6, 2013 02:30

Did he do through the past Darkly?

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: September 6, 2013 02:42

On the internet nobody knows
you're Mick Jagger

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-28 17:12 by camper88.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: September 6, 2013 02:52

Warhol also did

But in an interesting footnote, it turns out that Warhol was not Jagger's first choice of album cover designer for Through The Past Darkly. Mick's first choice was M.C. Escher, who he was a big fan of. Here is the transcript of the letter written to Escher on January 1, 1969:

Dear Maurits,
For quite some time now I have had in my possession your book (Graphic Works Of...) and it never ceases to amaze me each time I study it! In fact I think your work is quite incredible and it would make me very happy for a lot more people to see and know and understand exactly what you are doing.

In March or April this year, we have scheduled our next LP record for release, and I am most eager to reproduce one of your works on the cover-sleeve. Would you please consider either designing a "picture" for it, or have you any unpublished works which you might think suitable -the "optical illusion" idea very much appeals to me, although one like "Evolution" would of course be equally as suitable. -and would say the same thing. You might even like to do a long one like "Metamorphosis" which we could then reproduce as a folding-out sleeve. It could be either in one colour or full colour, that would be up to you entirely.

Naturally, both you and your publishers would get full credits on the sleeve, and we could negotiate a fee on hearing of your decision to do it. I would be most grateful if you could contact Peter Swales or Miss Jo Bergman at the above address or telephone (reverse charge), and either will give you every necessary assistance. However, I am not so fortunate as to possess a Dutch interpreter, and so if you do not speak English or French, I would again be grateful if you could fix up somebody in Baarn to oblige.

Yours very sincerely,
MICK JAGGER
for ROLLING STONES LTD.

Escher's response:

Dear Sir [addressed to Mr. Peter Swales],
Some days ago I received a letter from Mr. Jagger asking me to design a picture or to place at his disposal unpublished work to reproduce on the cover-sleeve for an LP record.

My answer to both questions must be no, as I want to devote all my time and attention to the many commitments I made; I cannot possibly accept any further assignments or spend any time on publicity.

By the way, please tell Mr. Jagger I am not Maurits to him, but
Very sincerely,
M. C. Escher.

In a subsequent letter, Mick asked permission to use Escher's hexagonal image "Verbum" for an album cover, but was again refused.

Full details at: [mentalfloss.com]

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: September 6, 2013 02:56

Funny then that Escher approved Mott the Hoople using his work for their debut. Maybe try didn't offend him by using his first name in such a familiar fashion.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: September 6, 2013 03:00

And don't call me surely Maurits

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 6, 2013 03:00

Apparently Jagger asked M.C. Escher to do the Through The Past Darkly earlier in the year, and received a clear "no thanks"

Thank god that didn't happen or we'd be all still checkin' out
the cover tryin' ta figure out which side ya slide the record out of ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: OzHeavyThrobber ()
Date: September 6, 2013 05:47

God what a self important twat Escher was.

Or is that M.C. Twat?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 6, 2013 06:34

......I'll go with twat ... but not because of Escher

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Limbostone ()
Date: September 6, 2013 10:24

OzHeavyThrobber
God what a self important twat Escher was.

Or is that M.C. Twat?

Where have you been?

Posted by: Kirk ()
Date: September 6, 2013 17:43

The Rolling Stones Ltd? I didn't know there was an Ltd in 1969.

Posted by: rob51 ()
Date: September 7, 2013 06:26

Quess not everybody is impressed with RocknRollers?

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: September 7, 2013 13:30

rob51
Quess not everybody is impressed with RocknRollers?

'xactly.

Thanks for takng the time to share that, camper88 and stonehearted - think I've seen both, but not in a whil - super interesting!

- swiss

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: September 7, 2013 13:33

TeddyB1018
Funny then that Escher approved Mott the Hoople using his work for their debut. Maybe try didn't offend him by using his first name in such a familiar fashion.

Did they seek permission or just went ahead and used it with some silly additions?

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: September 7, 2013 19:10

Kirk
The Rolling Stones Ltd? I didn't know there was an Ltd in 1969.

I think this letter is from 1965. I saw this picture on Gary Rocks website:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-07 19:12 by Cristiano Radtke.

Posted by: Kirk ()
Date: September 7, 2013 19:33

Really 1965? Thanks for the info. Look at the order of the names. Charlie next to Mick.

Posted by: Promoman ()
Date: September 7, 2013 19:44

A few years ago I saw the original work for the Love You Live album cover at a Warhol Exhibition. It thrilled me to be face to face with the original of a sleeve I owned since I was about 14 years old.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: September 7, 2013 19:47

Kirk
Really 1965? Thanks for the info. Look at the order of the names. Charlie next to Mick.

I'm not sure about when this letter was written, but Mick writes about to "see you all again this summer" in US, so it could be 1965 or 1966.

Posted by: GOO ()
Date: September 7, 2013 21:36

Great to read these letters....very cool and interesting

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1442
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home