Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Brilliant interview with the Stones - Montreal 1965 and Brian is clearly the leader
Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: September 1, 2013 11:57

Excuse me if this has been posted before but I've only just seen it and wanted to share it with IORR as it's fantastic. Brian is clearly taking the lead here with Mick struggling to get a word in.

Re: Brilliant interview with the Stones - Montreal 1965 and Brian is clearly the leader
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 1, 2013 12:04

Charlie rules ...........

ROCKMAN

Re: Brilliant interview with the Stones - Montreal 1965 and Brian is clearly the leader
Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: September 1, 2013 12:33

In the first part of the interview, Brian is conveniently perfectly placed withing reach of the interviewer, and Mick is a bit out of reach of the microphone. As mentioned, they've been traveling quite a bit in recent days, and the whole band seems a bit jetlagged and sluggish, with the exception of Brian who seems positively wired.

I love how Charlie looks like he's falling asleep. Even when he reluctantly answers questions from the interviewer in the second part he slurs his words as though half asleep and refers the interviewer over to Mick--not Brian--to answer for him.

In those days the lead singer was generally the spokesman, and in that sense the de facto leader at least outwardly. But it has to be said Brian was alert, intelligent, articulate, and well-informed, displaying overall a more forceful personality--perhaps the most forceful of all the band members at that time--showing qualities he would not be known for later on.

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: September 1, 2013 20:07

Very cool. Thanks for posting!

Thanks to Brian and Mick or it would have been a very short
Interview!!! Haha. Bill looked scared..

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: September 1, 2013 21:43

I think calling the interview "Brilliant" is a little over the top.
But it certainly shows the Brian Jones who still had enthusiasm...before he traded that for drugs.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: September 1, 2013 21:50

So many gifted rock stars became quickly surrounded by sleazy people including eager young groupies who brought them "little presents" ranging from high powered weed to coke to heroin.

I remember guys/young stars on the rise who lost all their English humor and excitement as they became dependant on the "stuff." They became miserable, frightened and it affected their music. Some made it through...some didn't. For quite some time, Brian was an accident waiting to happen.

And, of course, this all was usually accompanied by booze. I recall trying to avoid Ringo Starr circa 1973-4. Not much humor left in him as he hit the bottle.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: September 1, 2013 22:00

A great little snippet of the Stones of '65!

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: September 1, 2013 22:13

Saw it about ten times........always nice to see it again....thanks

Posted by: RobberBride ()
Date: September 1, 2013 22:18

stonehearted
(I)t has to be said Brian was alert, intelligent, articulate, and well-informed, displaying overall a more forceful personality--perhaps the most forceful of all the band members at that time--showing qualities he would not be known for later on.
Very well put thumbs up

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: September 1, 2013 22:27

Having seen this one several times now (one of my favorites), it is clear to me anyway that no one except Brian cares at all about the interview. As someone has already said, except for Brian they're all tired.

My thought is that this is last arena for Brian Jones to show off his personality and articulateness (though much of it sounds like bullshit). No one seems to care that he's dominating here, too tired to compete (recognizing it doesn't matter, that it will be the music that speaks for the Stones).

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: September 2, 2013 05:56

Why shouldn't he be the leader? It was his band. His creation.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: September 2, 2013 12:51

Is it just me or does Brian come accross as quite a negative person?

Mathijs

Posted by: howled ()
Date: September 2, 2013 13:11

Carnaby

As Brian said in an interview, he and Stu were hanging around and Mick and Keith rolled up and they joined together.

Apparently Brian was more connected to get gigs than Mick or Keith and Mick was still doing his Economics course.

Mick and Keith and Stu weren't working for Brian and when Brian tried to take more of a cut than the others, then the others put a stop to it pretty quickly.

Eventually the Stones had to write their own songs, just like the Beatles, and Mick and Keith were motivated to try writing and it worked and even Brian was motivated to try to write songs at the beginning but they didn't seem to work very well or he lacked confidence in submitting them or whatever.

Bits and pieces in songs might have come from Brian or Bill or even Stu or Jack Nitzsche or whoever but it was Mick and Keith knocking the whole thing together into a sellable song.

Brian could always add things to the songs but by the end he didn't seem to even care.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-02 13:32 by howled.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: September 2, 2013 16:54

Mathijs
Is it just me or does Brian come accross as quite a negative person?

Mathijs

Yeah, he has a bit of an attitude in that interview, I think. Maybe just part of the Stones' bad boy image they liked to live up to on occasions like these. On the other hand, I think Brian sounds pretty honest too.

Date: September 2, 2013 17:30

Maybe something to take notice of.

Apparently the date of the interview is around April 23 or 24 1965 or so and Keith says they are going to the States to record and Satisfaction was recorded on

12 May 1965, RCA Studios, Hollywood

and in the interview I think Keith is interrupting mentioning "Martha and the Vandellas" when Motown is being talked about and Satisfaction is partly based on "Martha and the Vandellas" "Nowhere To Run".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-02 17:31 by howled.

Date: September 2, 2013 17:31

howled
Maybe something to take notice of.

Apparently the date of the interview is around April 24 1965 or so and Keith says they are going to the States to record and Satisfaction was recorded on

12 May 1965, RCA Studios, Hollywood

and in the interview I think Keith is interrupting mentioning "Martha and the Vandellas" when Motown is being talked about and Satisfaction is partly based on "Martha and the Vandellas" "Nowhere To Run".

Good observation Agent howled.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: September 2, 2013 17:37

Carnaby

Because it was nothing to be proud of yet...that would come later...

Date: September 2, 2013 18:06

All this stuff about Brian being the leader and he's the spokeman for the band etc etc

Well, look at another 1965 interview

My impression is that Brian is more interested in speaking than the others.

Keith doesn't want to say much at all and Charlie never does and Bill isn't interested much and Mick is often getting asked interviewer questions because he's the singer and that increased as Mick became more well known.

What someones sees is often what they are looking for.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-02 18:29 by howled.

Posted by: owlbynite ()
Date: September 3, 2013 10:01

Munichhilton
Carnaby

Because it was nothing to be proud of yet...that would come later...

Still no reason why Brian shouldn't have stepped up & grabbed the bull by the horns at these functions. No matter what the eventual outcome, this was, as Carnaby states, his band. cool smiley

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: September 3, 2013 10:38

It's not that Brian is leading, seems wonky to use that term for an interview, but it's more, as stonesrule has already poiinted out, that he's enthusiastic. Interview wise this enthusiasm is still evident right up to and including atleast January 1968.

This who's band it was lark needs to be knocked on the head. In 1963 Brian described the stones as "an amalgamation of two bands". It wasn't his band, it was their band.

This leader title was a self appointed thing, quite pretensious and something that didn't last that long. I think it began to end when ALO and Eric Easton became their managers and was officially ended by the others when they found out about his extra £5 or what ever it was circa October 1963.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-03 10:39 by His Majesty.

Date: September 3, 2013 11:47

His Majesty
It's not that Brian is leading, seems wonky to use that term for an interview, but it's more, as stonesrule has already poiinted out, that he's enthusiastic. Interview wise this enthusiasm is still evident right up to and including atleast January 1968.

This who's band it was lark needs to be knocked on the head. In 1963 Brian described the stones as "an amalgamation of two bands". It wasn't his band, it was their band.

This leader title was a self appointed thing, quite pretensious and something that didn't last that long. I think it began to end when ALO and Eric Easton became their managers and was officially ended by the others when they found out about his extra £5 or what ever it was circa October 1963.

That's good enough grounds for assuming leadership to me. You don't do that kind of thing unless you think you're more special or worth more than the others.

Date: September 3, 2013 14:44

James Brown was the leader of his band.

I don't think the Stones ever operated like James Brown.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: September 3, 2013 16:30

howled
James Brown was the leader of his band.

I don't think the Stones ever operated like James Brown.

This is so good!!! hot smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 953
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home